What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I hate when friends or family talk to me while I am not in front of them. (Like talk to me while I am facing the other direction.) THEN tell me "I was talking to you." I get this.. 'are you kidding me' look on my face. Like, HELLO I couldn't hear you!!! Why would you even attempt that!?

Unfortunately it happens a lot. My fiance will scream up to me from downstairs... and sometimes I do actually hear he is screaming but not what he is saying 90% of the time. It just makes me so angry he would/will come up to me and say 'I was yelling upt o you' or 'I was talking to you'. It infuriates me!

THEY FORGET I AM HoH!

I hate when friends or family talk to me while I am not in front of them. (Like talk to me while I am facing the other direction.) THEN tell me "I was talking to you." I get this.. 'are you kidding me' look on my face. Like, HELLO I couldn't hear you!!! Why would you even attempt that!?

Unfortunately it happens a lot. My fiance will scream up to me from downstairs... and sometimes I do actually hear he is screaming but not what he is saying 90% of the time. It just makes me so angry he would/will come up to me and say 'I was yelling upt o you' or 'I was talking to you'. It infuriates me!

THEY FORGET I AM HoH!

No offense but from your description, I cannot, for the life of me, see how it is possible to forget that you're HoH.....Best wishes with your fiance but I think some kind of understanding has to be reached......

No offense but from your description, I cannot, for the life of me, see how it is possible to forget that you're HoH.....Best wishes with your fiance but I think some kind of understanding has to be reached......

Because I have fluxiating hearing loss. Not that I get into it, but I started losing hearing later in life. So, I am more in-tuned to the hearing? It's hard to tell I have profound hearing loss and don't normally let on that I do I guess? Though, it has been established I am HoH and my family and friends KNOW I am...but they just...forget. It just rubs me the wrong way!

How ironic this was the first thread when I come on today and clicked the new content link.

Just got off the phone with a recruiter for a job I submittd my resume for this morning. I told her, via email, that I preferred to communicate via email but, no, she wanted to talk (I can understand them wanting to talk because it's a way to assess the person). So I called her from my cellphone using my ComPilot. I explained that I have difficulty hearing, especially when someone has an accent, which she did. Several times during our conversation, after I would say I didn't understand her, she would ask if she could call me on a different phone. Hellooo. It's not the phone, it's my hearing. I told her I was using the best phone set up I have. Jeesh.

I'm surprised she still wants to submit me to the client because "communication" is listed in the requirements several times (I don't think I'll have trouble at the job unless the people I have to communicate with have strong accents, and then, they can write down what I miss).

"Well, at least you can read lips so you're alright."

The way they all shout over each other constantly.

@_@

Wirelessly posted

What annoys me is that it's only spoken English (or whatever native language it may be) that is acceptable as far as hearing people are concerned. Shouldn't the written form of the same language be accepted as the same. It doesn't make any sense especially now in this computerized, Internet savvy world. Doesn't anyone remember what handwriting is any more? Music scores are forever accepted, Braille is now universally accepted, and even Pitmans shorthand was widely used for centuries before the age of the computer......so why do the hearing have a problem with written and non-spoken English or the like?

Doesn't anyone remember what handwriting is any more?

They don't apparently. I was about to suspend an application at my job because the person had to sign their name, and they printed instead. My boss informed me that no one is taught handwriting anymore so it is what it is....really surprised me that it's become a lost art.

Wirelessly posted

Exactly yet people still insist I speak with them. Just because I can, doesn't mean it's the better way. They say I'm outnumbered so I have to comply. Written Language is a middle ground, why can't they be courteous enough to at least meet in the middle? It doesn't hurt them any especially since nearly everyone texts these days.

Wirelessly posted

Lau2046 said:
Doesn't anyone remember what handwriting is any more?

They don't apparently. I was about to suspend an application at my job because the person had to sign their name, and they printed instead. My boss informed me that no one is taught handwriting anymore so it is what it is....really surprised me that it's become a lost art.

Hopefully it won't be forever lost now that they are incorporating handwriting apps into the latest technology.

Wirelessly posted

Hopefully it won't be forever lost now that they are incorporating handwriting apps into the latest technology.

I think she's talking about print versus cursive not not writing at all.

did you know fart smells so deaf people can enjoy them too? lol

well i dont like hearing people's fart smells its different from deafies..

I'd have to say talking under their breath because they know I can't hear them.

Also, when two of my family members are talking to each other about me and they say, "I bet she can't even hear what we are saying." Sometimes they assume that I am completely deaf when I am only HoH. -_-

This could be a new one for most of you, some people use charades to get their point across. On occasion, I take a break from using my CI, sometimes I am sensitive to sounds and I feel like a cat about to hit the ceiling on a pin drop! Seems coincidence loves to invite itself unexpectedly. So toward the end of my work hour, sans CI, a guy apparently asks me where the restroom was located. I told him I could not hear him and as I was reaching for my CI, he proceeded to mimic the 'urinating & shake it' stance. Blushing and all, I pointed to a location directly behind him. :crazy:

What ticks me off is that I have to fix any noises in my house because it bothers them.

Back