What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

That's kind Jenniifer. Thank you! It used to bother me a great deal but then I realized what she missed out on. She missed out on knowing the strong person I was, how I persevered to become well educated and successful and how uniquely I view the world. The little things in life that I found *so* exciting to see, and found joy in, that my hearing siblings didn't even notice.

Two of my four kids were *supposed* to be Deaf, according to the experts,:roll: and I would never have loved them any less had they been. Like you say, you provide your kids with the tools, no matter what challenges they might face, and you guide them along so that they can be successful in life no matter what.

That's kind Jenniifer. Thank you! It used to bother me a great deal but then I realized what she missed out on. She missed out on knowing the strong person I was, how I persevered to become well educated and successful and how uniquely I view the world. The little things in life that I found *so* exciting to see, and found joy in, that my hearing siblings didn't even notice.

Two of my four kids were *supposed* to be Deaf, according to the experts,:roll: and I would never have loved them any less had they been. Like you say, you provide your kids with the tools, no matter what challenges they might face, and you guide them along so that they can be successful in life no matter what.

sorry, see post below, made a mistake here...have not mastered the reply with "quote" feature!!

That they think they know things about being deaf. Or that it makes them sentimental.

Still, must have been hard for you, especially when you were too young to understand. And yes, it was her loss for sure - but you too were robbed of your natural mother because of her fears. I can't pretend to totally understand, as I am not deaf, and have not given birth to any deaf children...but I did have a child who seemed perfect at birth according to all the parameters they judge a baby by, yet he had problems later that were not so obvious. One NEVER knows!! Did you ever reunite with your mother?

Jenniifer, yes it was hard but would I be so skilled in the areas that I am now (ie: reading lips and body language) were I not thrown to the wolves, as it were, at a young age? It turned out to be a great blessing in disguise.

Yes, my mother showed up at my auntie and uncle's place one day and took me back. She should have left me there.

My mother left me at the hospital when she found out I was born Deaf. My auntie and uncle took me home and raised me for my first year. :confused:

As a mother, that just about makes my head explode....but I know crap like that happens.

Hey Rebecca? That bit about when you lipread, guys think you want to kiss them made me laugh SO hard, I sprayed my drink everywhere! It happens to ME too! At CHURCH!!! Mind you, these guys ALL know I already have a husband and he's the ONLY one I'm interested in kissing. Now, if I meet a new guy and he looks all uncomfortable, I say straight out "No, I'm NOT interested in kissing you, I'm married...I'm Deaf and I'm lipreading you!" You should see how RED the guy goes! (cheeky snicker!).

You have done really well for yourself, teaching yourself to talk..I was adopted out at birth and in and out of orphanages. I was fostered out to a Deaf couple but it didn't work out, and then I was adopted to a hearing family. I couldn't talk at all, but my Mum taught me, and I taught myself to lip read. Unfortunately, Mum never wanted me to be involced in the Deaf world, bse she believed all deaf are lazy bse they refuse to learn how to talk in voice, and they could if they weren't so lazy, so she believes, so I wasn't allowed to learn Auslan. In fact, I only started learning to sign 11 years ago, and she was APPALLED!!! I was teaching my kids, and she went off her head at me and told me they should be learning Italian...r-i-i-i-g-h-t! When my kids have NO friends who can speak Italian, but their mother's friends sign...yeah...makes sense...NOT!!

She doesn't say anything now, because she saw me signing with one of my friends at my brithday a couple of years ago...she doesn't say a single word against the deaf or Auslan now! Hee hee!!

AuslanGirl :)

Wow! I have been away from AD for a good while and this thread, my thread, is still active. Venting is healthy. Tell it like it is.

Hey Rebecca? That bit about when you lipread, guys think you want to kiss them made me laugh SO hard, I sprayed my drink everywhere! It happens to ME too! At CHURCH!!! Mind you, these guys ALL know I already have a husband and he's the ONLY one I'm interested in kissing. Now, if I meet a new guy and he looks all uncomfortable, I say straight out "No, I'm NOT interested in kissing you, I'm married...I'm Deaf and I'm lipreading you!" You should see how RED the guy goes! (cheeky snicker!).

You have done really well for yourself, teaching yourself to talk..I was adopted out at birth and in and out of orphanages. I was fostered out to a Deaf couple but it didn't work out, and then I was adopted to a hearing family. I couldn't talk at all, but my Mum taught me, and I taught myself to lip read. Unfortunately, Mum never wanted me to be involced in the Deaf world, bse she believed all deaf are lazy bse they refuse to learn how to talk in voice, and they could if they weren't so lazy, so she believes, so I wasn't allowed to learn Auslan. In fact, I only started learning to sign 11 years ago, and she was APPALLED!!! I was teaching my kids, and she went off her head at me and told me they should be learning Italian...r-i-i-i-g-h-t! When my kids have NO friends who can speak Italian, but their mother's friends sign...yeah...makes sense...NOT!!

She doesn't say anything now, because she saw me signing with one of my friends at my brithday a couple of years ago...she doesn't say a single word against the deaf or Auslan now! Hee hee!!

AuslanGirl :)

You're amazing!! You seem a lot like me! Though two of my kids are embarrassed to do sign the other two aren't. You really *are* amazing! My kids are not only English (Canadien), but also Danish and from a deafie Mum. My son rejects the sign altogether and it breaks my heart because he is my best buddy. :roll:

Yes, the kiss/lip read thing has happened several times but only with hearies. Of course, for them, they imply, how do you say, a *meaning* into the lip reading. I swear, hearies think we are pervs simply because we *observe* everything or we are watching everything in the reading not in the perving. Lights on (so we can see what is going on) and looking at lip (like we want to neck?).

I've only been here a few days and I feel so many, "Yes, I know what that feels like!" (thanks Beowulf)

When I say I am DEAF, it doesn't mean that I can HEAR a little. Quit screaming at me, I'm still deaf!
I find it to be the opposite. That when people find out I'm deaf they assume I can't hear anything at all even though I could still hear some even with an HA and before I got the CI.

People who walk away from me when they're talking. Especially when they leave the room while talking. Gaaaah.

My mother has decided the way to get my attention is to shine a flashlight in my face. WTF? I do get migraines, Mom.

Wow! I have been away from AD for a good while and this thread, my thread, is still active. Venting is healthy. Tell it like it is.

Yeah. Venting is good. I am glad to see that you are still around on AD.

People who walk away from me when they're talking. Especially when they leave the room while talking. Gaaaah.

My mother has decided the way to get my attention is to shine a flashlight in my face. WTF? I do get migraines, Mom.

A flashlight? WTF??? That would just leave me pissed. I'd tell your mom quickly that if she doesn't want a flashlight shot in her face every time you needed her attention then she had better quit blasting it in yours. That's just completely rude. Maybe if you did it to her a few times she might get the message that its annoying and rude.

A flashlight? WTF??? That would just leave me pissed. I'd tell your mom quickly that if she doesn't want a flashlight shot in her face every time you needed her attention then she had better quit blasting it in yours. That's just completely rude. Maybe if you did it to her a few times she might get the message that its annoying and rude.

I just couldn't....she's old and has had some complications with her cataracts. She's not a mean person, just occasionally doesn't think. She's an SLP (speech pathologist) and has been for the past 50 years so you'd think she would know better....go figure.

Oddly enough, when my hearing started to go, she didn't notice. :shock: Then again, neither did I..... Now she has hearing loss from medication. Our conversations sometimes sound like the beginning of a bar fight. I refuse to talk to her on the phone. Ever.

But my post served its purpose....I left my laptop open to what I wrote. (We all live in the same house.) Supposedly she will never do the flashlight thing again. :naughty:

I just couldn't....she's old and has had some complications with her cataracts. She's not a mean person, just occasionally doesn't think. She's an SLP (speech pathologist) and has been for the past 50 years so you'd think she would know better....go figure.

Oddly enough, when my hearing started to go, she didn't notice. :shock: Then again, neither did I..... Now she has hearing loss from medication. Our conversations sometimes sound like the beginning of a bar fight. I refuse to talk to her on the phone. Ever.

But my post served its purpose....I left my laptop open to what I wrote. (We all live in the same house.) Supposedly she will never do the flashlight thing again. :naughty:

Oh crap, your mom read what I wrote? She probably thinks I'm mean now. :aw:

After reading 25 pages and saying OMG that happened last week i am finely posting so hear's my list. (pun intended)
-Bad puns about hearing
-The "your not deaf you have a hearing aid" thing
-Teachers using my FM as a walkie talkie
-The hearies that say i'm not deaf because i have 100% speech understanding in a quiet setting (tested nov 23 2010) with my ci
-never mind, i'll tell you later, you heard me, shhhhhhhh all of these are annoying.
-yelling or over EN-UN-CI-AT-ING
-assuming i cant take care of myself because i'm deaf, i cant take care of my self because i'm 13

Back