What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

That, too. What ticks me off is when they all get together and decide to visit a deaf message board so they can tell the deaf how wrong they are about their deafness. They congregate like a bunch of gang members, make a group attack, and then retreat again for several months. Just like any bullies.

They appparently have no respect for our feelings/passion about ASL, oralism and deaf children's rights.

I am hearing but I saw something at the train station today that made me sick to my stomach.

I'm waiting for my bus and I see 2 deaf women signing to each other. I avert my eyes cause I would be eavesdropping on their conversation.
I look over at a mother with 2 small children. One girl, being curious, walks over to the women and taps one of them on the leg and innocently asks "Why do you sound so funny?"
The women smile at her & one opens her mouth to answer. The mother rushes over and snatches the child away. No explanation to the women and says to the girl. "Angie, leave the 'special' people alone. They don't know how to talk."
My jaw drops open as I look at the woman who was going to answer, she turns away in tears! I wanted to rip into the mother. I was so embarrassed to be hearing.

I am hearing but I saw something at the train station today that made me sick to my stomach.

I'm waiting for my bus and I see 2 deaf women signing to each other. I avert my eyes cause I would be eavesdropping on their conversation.
I look over at a mother with 2 small children. One girl, being curious, walks over to the women and taps one of them on the leg and innocently asks "Why do you sound so funny?"
The women smile at her & one opens her mouth to answer. The mother rushes over and snatches the child away. No explanation to the women and says to the girl. "Angie, leave the 'special' people alone. They don't know how to talk."
My jaw drops open as I look at the woman who was going to answer, she turns away in tears! I wanted to rip into the mother. I was so embarrassed to be hearing.

Classic. :roll:

Kids ask questions cause they're curious. Then the parents always have to come and ruin it by instructing them to ignore anyone who isn't totally within the bounds of "normalcy."

:shock::jaw

wow that's ridiculous

What ticks me off about some of them is their thinking that they are superior to deaf people.

I get that sense around certain people who are "actively" religious or are trying to convert people??...but yeah that's one of the biggest difference I've learned being HOH, is that no person is superior or inferior; society trusts each other to make people into statuses that will let us (as a whole) prosper the most.

When they go "Oh you know ASL" and they start flinging their arms around like crazy, then say "what did i say" BUGS ME!!!

When they go "Oh you know ASL" and they start flinging their arms around like crazy, then say "what did i say" BUGS ME!!!

":giggle: Nice. You just called yourself a dickwad."

:whistle:

Last edited:

Or they do the opposite "Oh, you know ASL? So do I." And they flip me the bird thinking they're so smart & funny.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but there was a conversation with my previous driving instructor which astounded me. (I now have a much better guy and am learning in an automatic which I love!). Richard the driving instructor mumbled lots, I'd remind him and he'd speak clearer for a few words then trail off into mumbling.

I get in the car.

Me: Hi. I've found my left hearing aid, so now I have two, so I might be able to hear you a bit better than usual.

Richard: Ok. So you wear two hearing aids?

I buckle up and start the engine.

Me: Yes, I normally wear two but I lost one.

Richard: Ok.

I'm revving and checking mirrors.

Richard: So today mumblemumblemumble....

Me: Pardon?

Richard: So why can't you hear me then?

Me:......I can't lip read you when I'm driving! (thinking: BECAUSE YOU MUMBLE!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH I TELL YOU EVERY 5 MINUTES LIKE YOU ASKED BUT YOU STILL DO IT!).

My new instructor, Phil, speaks very clearly so I rarely have to lipread him, and the car is quieter.

I love how they are just absolutely astounded when they realize I am deaf in one ear and I function and act like a normal person. Please, deafness doesn't mean I breath any different than you do!

When my hearing audiologist of 13 years talks to me while he has my HAs in his hands during my annual appointments.. My lip/speech reading skills are very limited without my HAs, so I had no clue what he was saying.

My teacher called me stupid when I didn't hear part of her instruction. Ironically, on the walls of the classroom, there was a poster stuck on it saying something along the lines of 'Don't call people names, it is hurtful.' :lol:

Even though I'm academically average, I was/am considered 'Special needs' and given an IEP (Individual Educational Plan). The IEP is riddled with mistakes. They say that my right ear is worse, when my left ear is actually the one which is worse. They can't read audiograms. The IEP says that captioning should be provided if possible, and if not then transcript should be given. Never in my school life has captioning been available or transcript been provided. Just couple of many mistakes.. They always seem to think they are doing what is best for me.

Unfortunately, my family (all hearing) thinks that the only reason why I turn captioning on is because I'm used to it. They think that I can watch TV or movies without captioning - I just have to lipread whatever the person's saying on-screen. They really don't understand. :giggle:

Also there is the never-ending issue of people very slowly and over enunciating their words. It's like - I'm deaf, you know, not an idiot. Just speak clearly.

My brother (criticize sign language).

My ex husband who calls ASL "finger wiggling". I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks it's not a language either.

I love how they are just absolutely astounded when they realize I am deaf in one ear and I function and act like a normal person. Please, deafness doesn't mean I breath any different than you do!

oh, I feel you here!

I think the thing that really, really frustrates me to death---The constant covering of their mouth while talking. Also, the thinking that if I can speak, I can hear.

Back