"What?" or "Pardon me?"

I love that "soda" versus "pop" map. I grew up in "pop" country, then moved to "soda" land. I still instinctively switch from one to the other, depending on where I am.

Also grew up with that large piece of upholstered furniture in the living room being called "the davenport" by my grandmother. But the one in our house was "the sofa." I thought "davenports" were the grander ones covered in nice fabrics, and "sofas" were what families with kids had.

Those kids that spilled "pop" all over them... We were not allowed anywhere NEAR the "davenport" with food or drink in hand!

The cat in your avatar is... #@%@#%@#%! (Take it away!)

And thank you for ASL-is-not-the-same-as-English-grammatically wake-up call. I need to finally open a book on ASL and read the introduction. Probably clears a lot of questions up. Might get hooked though... Not now. :)

My sister and I got into a tiff a few years ago when she pointed out that she didn't like my saying "what?" instead of "pardon me?" She thought I was displaying bad manners.

I am not going to apologize for my deafness everytime I didn't catch what someone said. I flat out refuse to. I'm deaf, why should I have to keep pardoning that to people?

I do make exceptions for my elders though.

What about you? Are you a "what?" or a "pardon me?"

I'm a "WOT!?!?" person

Back