"What?" or "Pardon me?"

There's a word that comes to mind about "Repeat, please" being more broad than "Repeat that please". "Repeat that please" is more straight-on and more friendly because "Repeat please" will have people likely to think they're offended or think they have to repeat the whole thing or ask you "what part?"

In the worst case for "repeat that please" is the response with "what part?" or a sigh.

Hahaha...she was talking about when she signs, different syntax :) Not rude or curt at all.

Oh cmon... you know. :lol:

If you plain stare at someone talking to you and after a few seconds, you sign/say "Repeat please", wouldn't they get frustrated or confused on how to response nicely to "Repeat please"?

"AGAIN!"

"This one push-up?"

"NO. ALL 50 PUSH-UPS... AGAIN! (He mess up one push-up and has to do the entire thing again)"

"Oh my gosh!!!"

If you plain stare at someone talking to you and after a few seconds, you sign/say "Repeat please", wouldn't they get frustrated or confused on how to response nicely to "Repeat please"?

"AGAIN!"

"This one push-up?"

"NO. ALL 50 PUSH-UPS... AGAIN! (He mess up one push-up and has to do the entire thing again)"

"Oh my gosh!!!"

I'm not following? I think jillio meant "repeat please" in sign when she's signing with someone else. she wouldn't say that to someone who doesn't sign.

Do you sign?

I'm not following? I think jillio meant "repeat please" in sign when she's signing with someone else. she wouldn't say that to someone who doesn't sign.

Do you sign?

Oh and no I don't sign (yet). Is there not a way to sign "repeat that (part) please"? If you had to fingerspell it, then I guess "repeat please" is more suitable.

Oh and no I don't sign (yet). Is there not a way to sign "repeat that (part) please"? If you had to fingerspell it, then I guess "repeat please" is more suitable.

I asked because ASL is not English. They are entirely two different languages with their own grammar and syntax.

In English, you would say "repeat that please?" In sign, you would say "repeat please".

People always assume ASL is the sign version of the english language and it's not.

I asked because ASL is not English. They are entirely two different languages with their own grammar and syntax.

In English, you would say "repeat that please?" In sign, you would say "repeat please".

People always assume ASL is the sign version of the english language and it's not.

Yeah, but if they say "Repeat you NOW!" better make your escape, since something bad is about to happen. :giggle:

If it's not clear from the context, then something could be added to the REPEAT request without using THAT.

Examples of being specific in the request:

NAME
ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER
APPOINTMENT TIME
MEETING DATE
CHAPTER/LESSON/PAGE/COURSE NUMBER
TITLE
LIST

I can't imagine anyone repeating an entire conversation based on a simple REPEAT request.

I hate that. It happened to me a few times. Oh my Goodness! I had to rephrase it instead repeat to twist the words. I felt that I really want to shake his head to shut up his mouth not to repeat the whole story. I am not that stupid. I was thinking that his words could be twisting.

Sorry I really thought that ASL has a sign for "that".

@Reba, Yeah that would work. Add something to sign along with "Repeat" sign, but not a simple "Repeat please". I can't help it, but think of a troll (while grinning) when someone does sign that or say it.

"To each his own" is on me. :(

@Reba, Yeah that would work. Add something to sign along with "Repeat" sign, but not a simple "Repeat please". I can't help it, but think of a troll when someone does sign that or say it.

Yes, ASL does have a sign for "that" but again, ASL is not English.

Let me give you an example of the same phrase in 2 different languages:

English: I feel sad

French: Je me sens triste

Right away, you see a different usage of grammar. If I were to translate French literally, it would be "I myself sense sad"

You are attempting to use literal English translation of ASL. You think in English "repeat that please" and assuming it must be same usage in an entirely different language with an entirely different grammar and sentence structure like ASL.

Honestly, you're deaf, right? Already you know you take in information with your eyes, you look at eyes, you have trouble lipreading people with sunglasses, you sense what people say through body language, the cock of their eyebrows. With me so far? ASL is kinda like that, you establish first the topic, then you comment on it. With your eyes, you establish a topic like car, then car is blue, turning left. ASL is very much in line with how we process things visually. I realized this two weeks ago when there was a sudden thundershower, I had to take out my hearing aids to protect them and we sought shelter in my coach's SUV. I always wear my hearing aids in public in order to understand hearing people better. In that SUV, while the the thunder shook the air and lightening split the sky, I looked at everyone signing and I am not kidding you when I say it was like my mind just split open and sunshine was shining in. It was illumination, englightment, it was like this feels like home.

So, if you get a chance to take some ASL classes or lessons or whatever, go for it. Really. This grammar you're still a bit grey on, it wlll make so much sense after you learn ASL because whether you're conscious of it or not, you're already thinking in ASL with your eyes.

Last edited:
Yes, ASL does have a sign for "that" but again, ASL is not English.

Let me give you an example of the same phrase in 2 different languages:

English: I feel sad

French: Je me sens triste

Right away, you see a different usage of grammar. If I were to translate French literally, it would be "I myself sense sad"

You are attempting to use literal English translation of ASL. You think in English "repeat that please" and assuming it must be same usage in an entirely different language with an entirely different grammar and sentence structure like ASL.

Honestly, you're deaf, right? Already you know you take in information with your eyes, you look at eyes, you have trouble lipreading people with sunglasses, you sense what people say through body language, the cock of their eyebrows. With me so far? ASL is kinda like that, you establish first the topic, then you comment on it. With your eyes, you establish a topic like car, then car is blue, turning left. ASL is very much in line with how we process things visually. I realized this two weeks ago when there was a sudden thundershower, I had to take out my hearing aids to protect them and we sought shelter in my coach's SUV. I always wear my hearing aids in public in order to understand hearing people better. In that SUV, while the the thunder crashed and lightening split the sky, I looked at everyone signing in the SUV and I am not kidding you when I say it was like my mind just split open and sunshine was shining in. It was illumination, englightment, it was like this feels like home.

So, if you get a chance to take some ASL classes or lessons or whatever, go for it. Really. This grammar you're still a bit grey on, it wlll make so much sense after you learn ASL because whether you're conscious of it or not, you're already thinking in ASL with your eyes.

Speaking of literal translations, the literal ASL translation of the English phrase "repeat that please" would be "again please?" if I'm not mistaken.

Speaking of literal translations, the literal ASL translation of the English phrase "repeat that please" would be "again please?" if I'm not mistaken.

You are exactly right. I used the English word "repeat" to give the contextual meaning of the sign for "again". In that context, the more accurate English translation would be "repeat."

You are exactly right. I used the English word "repeat" to give the contextual meaning of the sign for "again". In that context, the more accurate English translation would be "repeat."

Again please wouldn't work nearly as well in English. :giggle:

If it's not clear from the context, then something could be added to the REPEAT request without using THAT.

Examples of being specific in the request:

NAME
ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER
APPOINTMENT TIME
MEETING DATE
CHAPTER/LESSON/PAGE/COURSE NUMBER
TITLE
LIST

I can't imagine anyone repeating an entire conversation based on a simple REPEAT request.

Absolutely. If I have not understood something in the conversation, I will stop the person immediately, and not allow the conversation to go further until I am clear. For instance, if I ask a specific question during an initial appointment, it is clear that it is the answer specific to that question that I misunderstood. If it is a detailed piece of information, I will generally paraphrase to see if I have understood what the client is communicating. If not, they will correct me at that point before we go onto anything else.

Oh i see my grandma pardon beg , I ask my grandma said on means what, she know communication me! :)

"AGAIN!"

"This one push-up?"

"Oh my gosh!!!"
That is why you interject immediately. And when I am using sign, I am not communicating with someone who is talking. They are signing, as well.

@Reba, Yeah that would work. Add something to sign along with "Repeat" sign, but not a simple "Repeat please". I can't help it, but think of a troll (while grinning) when someone does sign that or say it.

"To each his own" is on me. :(
Yes, there is a THAT sign but it has to be used with a referent. It would be redundant and senseless to include it in an ASL request for repetition.

Personally, since I don't know the Russian language, I wouldn't consider telling a Russian speaker how to phrase his communication with another Russian speaker.

I believe the underlying cause as to why this occurs is probably due to regional differences in the established standards of communication, along with what is assumed to be the etiquette of that area. I'm generally a 'what', but in situation where respect or prestige is involved to the person being addressed, that is where 'Sorry, could you rephrase that again' comes in.

Brain fodder semantics:
soda or pop or soda pop?
couch, sofa or futon?
it would be the last day on earth I would ever consider using davenport. :|

Back