What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post #1:

"What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?
Why are some people against this? For example, lets say 2 gay people youve never met and most likely never will meet, decide to get married. What business is it of yours? Why would you even care?"

Nothing about legal reasons. The question was why some people (not governments) were against gay marriage. Why do people care?

Right. So if you object to it on religious principles, then the thing for you to do is not to get involved in a gay relationship. You can't use it as an objection to the legality of something for someone else, or use it as justification for the denial of rights to an entire population of people.

Post #1:

"What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?
Why are some people against this? For example, lets say 2 gay people youve never met and most likely never will meet, decide to get married. What business is it of yours? Why would you even care?"

Nothing about legal reasons. The question was why some people (not governments) were against gay marriage. Why do people care?

I didn't follow this thread because it's same old mantra but I'll just ask this rhetoric questions.

Do you care if gay couples get married at church?
Do you care if gay couples get married at court?
Do you prefer that gay couples get married at court than church?

Right. So if you object to it on religious principles, then the thing for you to do is not to get involved in a gay relationship. You can't use it as an objection to the legality of something for someone else, or use it as justification for the denial of rights to an entire population of people.

Exactly. This is something a lot of people just are unable to comprehend.

Exactly. This is something a lot of people just are unable to comprehend.

Like the saying goes, "This ain't rocket science!":giggle: Simple premise...don't engage in something you object to. But just because you object to it for yourself doesn't give you the right to impose it on others.

Like the saying goes, "This ain't rocket science!":giggle: Simple premise...don't engage in something you object to. But just because you object to it for yourself doesn't give you the right to impose it on others.

Ditto. :)

I can state my objections, and vote against any laws that I don't want passed. The voters of each state get to determine whether or not same-sex marriage will be legal.

Yes, I can use religious principles to support my reasons for voting against same-sex marriage. Those are the same principles I use for deciding all my votes.

. But the fact still remains, that the ceremony, no matter where it is held, is not what determines whether one is married or not. A legally binding license, in the form of a state document, is what determines the marraige. A preacher can't marry a heterosexual couple without one and have it hold up as a legal marraige.

So, it all comes back to legal premise. If your religion tells you gay marraige is "wrong", then don't marry a person of the same sex. If you aren't approving of the rights of the GLTB population, then don't join a GLTB friendly church. The fact of the matter is, gay marraige does not infringe on the rights of anyone to practice their religion or to be in a heterosexual marraige.

Wow....the bold sounds so romantic. :giggle: Actually it sounds like slavery to me ....but that's just me.

I can state my objections, and vote against any laws that I don't want passed. The voters of each state get to determine whether or not same-sex marriage will be legal.

Yes, I can use religious principles to support my reasons for voting against same-sex marriage. Those are the same principles I use for deciding all my votes.

Exactly

The question is, why don't you want them passed? Is it because of negative legal implications? Or is it just because you think it is your duty to dictate the rights of others based on your religious beliefs?

Where do you get the religious justification for denying a population rights just because you don't endorse their choice of partner per your religious beliefs? I just don't get the fundamental judgement in using one's personal beliefs to attempt to dictate to others what their beliefs or their legal rights as a productive citizen in this country should be. In fact, I believe there was a person named Jesus who cautioned against that very practice.:dunno2:

Wow....the bold sounds so romantic. :giggle: Actually it sounds like slavery to me ....but that's just me.

oh my god why did you highlight it? now that I notice it and I can't take it anymore.... Spelling Nazi taking control of me!

it's M-A-R-R-I-A-G-E! :mad2:

It can sound like whatever you want it to....but that is a simple fact. Has virtually nothing to do with romanticism or religion. It's a legal premise. Some people, I suppose, have had bad experiences with marriage, and will attempt to apply negative connotations no matter. However, their bad experience will influence their relationships in the future. Still does not imply the right to have it influence the relationships of others.

oh my god why did you highlight it? now that I notice it and I can't take it anymore.... Spelling Nazi taking control of me!

it's M-A-R-R-I-A-G-E! :mad2:

Thank you. I just realized in my last post that my fingers were dyslexic!:lol:

And the reason for highlighting? Strawman.

Again we all have a vote. We all get to decide what kind of country we want to live in and raise children in. Whether we vote on issues or on the candidates who vote on those issues and appoint the judges that rule on those issues. And with those rights comes our right to campaign for and speak about our beliefs.

That is pretty simple really

It can sound like whatever you want it to....but that is a simple fact. Has virtually nothing to do with romanticism or religion. It's a legal premise. Some people, I suppose, have had bad experiences with marriage, and will attempt to apply negative connotations no matter. However, their bad experience will influence their relationships in the future. Still does not imply the right to have it influence the relationships of others.

And some can have fantastic marriages and realize how silly it is to think they need the governments permission. *shrug*

Again we all have a vote. We all get to decide what kind of country we want to live in and raise children in. Whether we vote on issues or on the candidates who vote on those issues and appoint the judges that rule on those issues. And with those rights comes our right to campaign for and speak about our beliefs.

That is pretty simple really

Oh, I see. Because you don't want to risk having a married homosexual couple move in next door to you and expose your children to their ammoral ways, huh? Otherwise, why would raising children come into the issue? You still have the right to raise your children any way you want to, and attempt to instill any belief system you choose in them. Gay marraige does not affect that in the least.

I didn't follow this thread because it's same old mantra but I'll just ask this rhetoric questions.

Do you care if gay couples get married at church?
Do I care? It bothers me that churches ignore the clear teachings of the Bible, and that their actions add a sense of respectability and normalcy to sin. It's very sad to see the direction in which they're going.

Do you care if gay couples get married at court?
It's very sad to see our government cave into political pressure rather than stand for what's right. It's more evidence of the direction in which our country is going.

Do you prefer that gay couples get married at court than church?
I'd prefer that they didn't "marry" at all.

If they want to make legally binding civil agreements for financial and medical reasons, that's fine. Just don't call it the marriage of a husband and wife.

And some can have fantastic marriages and realize how silly it is to think they need the governments permission. *shrug*

Is that why you got divorced? I'm just trying to figure out what point you are trying to make by bringing slavery and such into a discussion on gay marriage..

I retract my question, as I have just been informed that your wife passed away. My apologies and my condolences.

Do I care? It bothers me that churches ignore the clear teachings of the Bible, and that their actions add a sense of respectability and normalcy to sin. It's very sad to see the direction in which they're going.

It's very sad to see our government cave into political pressure rather than stand for what's right. It's more evidence of the direction in which our country is going.

If they want to make legally binding civil agreements for financial and medical reasons, that's fine. Just don't call it the marriage of a husband and wife.

Don't worry. They won't. They will call it the marriage of a husband and husband or a wife and wife. Or of two partners.

Oh, I see. Because you don't want to risk having a married homosexual couple move in next door to you and expose your children to their ammoral ways, huh? Otherwise, why would raising children come into the issue? You still have the right to raise your children any way you want to, and attempt to instill any belief system you choose in them. Gay marraige does not affect that in the least.

Meh, it's not about me.....everyone has a right to their opinion and vote.

You have a vote too and the right to campaign for your belief on this as well

But those churches believe, just as you do, that they are following the true teachings. Who is to say they aren't right? It is all a matter of the way you choose to interpret.

How does a gay couple getting married have a direct negative impact on you and the choices to make regarding the way you live your life?

Then, should we change the name of the license the state provides to make marraige a legal construct to "civil union license" and only allow those who have a ceremony conducted by a religious figure to claim to be married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back