What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because that license confers important legal rights. Inheritance, the right to make medical decisions in case of incapacity, etc. It's not fair to exclude same sex couples from those rights. There have been instances in which a partner has become incapacitated and the family of origin swoops in and excludes the other partner. That's not right. You'd think that people would have more compassion for a person whose partner is dying, but some people do not consider gay people worthy of compassion. It's really a reflection on the humanity of those people.

Exactly. I agree, it does confer important legal rights. The key word being" legal". Religion is used to make decisions regarding your own behavior. If you have religious objections to drinking, then don't drink. If you have religious objections to cutting your hair, then don't get a hair cut. But that is as far as your religious objections go. They do not extend to all of society. They stop at your nose.

So, you approve of Sharia Law, then?

What I believe is pretty clear in the post you quoted. I don't see the majority of America voting to adopt Sharia Law any time soon.

Possibly! :hmm:

I'm confused why you would say engaged, though. Isn't there another way to describe two adults in a relationship? Girlfriend obviously sounds too juvenile. Maybe she's your hot mama? :lol:

Exactly. I agree, it does confer important legal rights. The key word being" legal". Religion is used to make decisions regarding your own behavior. If you have religious objections to drinking, then don't drink. If you have religious objections to cutting your hair, then don't get a hair cut. But that is as far as your religious objections go. They do not extend to all of society. They stop at your nose.

I saw something on FB about that...lemme find it and see if I can post it here.

I'm confused why you would say engaged, though. Isn't there another way to describe two adults in a relationship? Girlfriend obviously sounds too juvenile. Maybe she's your hot mama? :lol:

Oh there will still be a wedding even (we both like cake and parties with a live band) and rings.... Just no court document.

She is the news reporter I mentioned months ago..... which explains why I will be spending much of the winter in dreary old D.C. Luckily she is done after Feb. and it's back to TX/CA/NM

It was something about

Dont like gay marriage, dont marry someone the same sex.

Dont like alcohol, dont drink!

Dont like sex, dont do it.

something with a long list of all the "sins" that religious people complain of and try to make them illegal for society.

A fake wedding? Wow! Are you going to tell people that? If you have a formal ceremony, you're probably legally married in a common law marriage state. Might want to check that out. :hmm:

A fake wedding? Wow! Are you going to tell people that? If you have a formal ceremony, you're probably legally married in a common law marriage state. Might want to check that out. :hmm:

Possibly/Probably..... But at least we didn't seek the license and that is the point. We don't see a need in seeking the government's blessing. We don't consider it a fake wedding of course. We see it as being married in the Church's eyes.

On the guests, of course. We are hoping it will start/continue a trend.

What I believe is pretty clear in the post you quoted. I don't see the majority of America voting to adopt Sharia Law any time soon.

Then why would you defend a religious argument for legality? Or do you truly not see the connection?

huh? Are you referring to me?

It was something about

Dont like gay marriage, dont marry someone the same sex.

Dont like alcohol, dont drink!

Dont like sex, dont do it.

something with a long list of all the "sins" that religious people complain of and try to make them illegal for society.

Exactly. No one is trying to make anyone marry someone of the same sex.

"Engaged" implies a marraige at the end of the engagement. What other purpose is there for an engagement?

Why not say, "we are life mates" or "we are partners"? Buying into the whole "engagement" thing seems pretty silly if you claim not to buy into the rest of it.:dunno2:

This is the first post to bring religion into the thread. So religion was brought in a PRO gay marriage poster.

Nope. She just said that people base many of their opinions on religious views. She didn't use it to support a lack of agreement with same sex marraige. Quite different than quoting Bible verses and trying to prove God is on the side of the intolerant.

Possibly/Probably..... But at least we didn't seek the license and that is the point. We don't see a need in seeking the government's blessing. We don't consider it a fake wedding of course. We see it as being married in the Church's eyes.

On the guests, of course. We are hoping it will start/continue a trend.

Yeah, when you are on your death bed, tell that to the doctors. "But she is my next of kin....we were married in God's eyes." While you are at it, see how the IRS responds to it.:laugh2:

But that is the whole point. You legally have the right to cohabitate without benefit of marraige if that is what you choose. Why would you support taking choice away from anyone? You jepordize your own right to choose when you do.

Sorry I didn't make that clearer, Shel. TXgolfer is the one planning a fake wedding.

Where?

I see a giant stretch. :)

You seem to think that religious arguments are perfectly valid supports for legal concepts. Otherwise, why would you have responded to my post in the way you did? What exactly, do you think Sharia Law is but legality decided on the basis of religion? Doesn't matter what religion it is. Result is the same.

Yeah, when you are on your death bed, tell that to the doctors. "But she is my next of kin....we were married in God's eyes." While you are at it, see how the IRS responds to it.:laugh2:

Yeah, because we didn't seek legal advice or anything. :roll:

But that is the whole point. You legally have the right to cohabitate without benefit of marraige if that is what you choose. Why would you support taking choice away from anyone? You jepordize your own right to choose when you do.

I was clear on this earlier. As I have been every other time this issue came up here.

Yeah, because we didn't seek legal advice or anything. :roll:

I was clear on this earlier. As I have been every other time this issue came up here.

Right. You have been very clear on it. That is why your posts now are not making a lot of sense based on previous statements of opinion. There is just a lot of contradiction I was attempting to get clarified. I guess you don't want to address it. Fine by me!:wave:

Nope. She just said that people base many of their opinions on religious views. She didn't use it to support a lack of agreement with same sex marraige. Quite different than quoting Bible verses and trying to prove God is on the side of the intolerant.

You ask the question....post #133..how the thread got turn into a "religious symposium". The first use was her...post #6...."in religious terms", so the answer to your question is she started it. Learn to read and connect the dots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back