What is it like at Gallaudet University?

I'm surprised, to be honest, because I thought that school would have strictly mute/voice off students at the very least and thought I wouldn't "fit" in as I grew up, orally. It's a DEAF school! But then again, don't judge the book by its cover.

Do you guys know anyone that went to NTID or Gallaudet and got a stable job/career choice? I'd go to the their website, but they would only include the very successful people attending there and got a fantastic job, at least from what I think.

Nope. Again, most schools/programs are TC or use Sign, so a lot of kids would have decent oral skills. Voice off even at Schools for the Deaf is kind of unusal. Heck even DODA kids can get a hefty dose of speech therapy. And hell, there's always been kids from Clarke or CID or St. Joseph's or the other PK-8 oral schools who end up at Gally or NTID. Gally and NTID had a booth at the Clarke School Mainstream conference as a matter of fact!

I don't know if I should go to a deaf school since I grew up going to a mainstreamed school. I did great there, academically and socially (kind of).

PFH, member here, said in another thread that one deaf guy went from a deaf school to Princeton. I'm looking for something like that in my academic life, at least around the "middle".

I need someone to tell me if going from a mainstream school to a deaf school to get more overall opportunities is a good idea. I know that it's not the same for everyone, but statistics in mainstream school vs. deaf school would be great!

In a few hours, I'm going to my counselor to talk about transfering to any UC or CSUN, but I like to keep a Deaf school in mind. After all, I never been to one or even socialize with the deaf/hoh. AGH! planing a campus visit to CSUN would be great. Gotta ask that. :)

EDIT: The guy that went from a deaf school to Princeton was Jeffrey Mansfield! Check out his profile here: http://www.princeton.edu/admission/whatsdistinctive/alumniprofiles/mansfield_jeffrey_08/

Right, it is not the same for everyone. My husband who's a deaf oral was in hearing school from middle school to high school. He did very well. then He went to gallaudet and he loved it because he can see everything without struggle or repeat also, much way less the notetake from someone else. Indeed, his social skill is somehow different than others who have been in deaf school. He does not mind and he can socialize with those kind of people anyway. He did not expect to met a profoundly deaf, asl user and totally in deaf community gal like me. lol.

Right, it is not the same for everyone. My husband who's a deaf oral was in hearing school from middle school to high school. He did very well. then He went to gallaudet and he loved it because he can see everything without struggle or repeat also, much way less the notetake from someone else. Indeed, his social skill is somehow different than others who have been in deaf school. He does not mind and he can socialize with those kind of people anyway. He did not expect to met a profoundly deaf, asl user and totally in deaf community gal like me. lol.

Hah! Nice you two met each other. That's the thing too. I'm worried about not able to help, interact other people out in the mainstream world/workforce, orally or even meet with a "love of my life" (Hey... not now!). I know I gotta dish out my Deaf situation at first, but it's not easy for me as some people take me for a different person at first and I like it. Blah I don't know about myself anymore.

I'm seriously thinking about CSUN because I want to try to socialize with the Deaf/HoH while studying on whichever major I pick by then. Not solely focused on the Deaf/HoH community nor the mainstream world, but both at the same time.

BUT then again, there's other great schools like UC Berkeley or even Stanford,... I want to be on my own with responsibilities , maybe while out of state. I'm so behind on these kind of stuff. I always thought transferring out of state wasn't even possible, but it is and that really messed my mind up with opportunities.

Disability resources and service. I was ignorant and "didn't need it" back then in High school. *shake my head*
... Maybe my counselor won't help me on stuff like this. The fact I feel stuck in between mainstream vs. deaf get me a headache, I should really, really, really take advice from you guys or a counselor from CSUN as opposed to one from my mainstream community college.

Jeffrey went to my daughter's school for the deaf -- TLC -- before graduating first from Princeton and then from Harvard :) I hope that kind of academic excellence is contagious.

I don't know if I should go to a deaf school since I grew up going to a mainstreamed school. I did great there, academically and socially (kind of).

PFH, member here, said in another thread that one deaf guy went from a deaf school to Princeton. I'm looking for something like that in my academic life, at least around the "middle".

I need someone to tell me if going from a mainstream school to a deaf school to get more overall opportunities is a good idea. I know that it's not the same for everyone, but statistics in mainstream school vs. deaf school would be great!

In a few hours, I'm going to my counselor to talk about transfering to any UC or CSUN, but I like to keep a Deaf school in mind. After all, I never been to one or even socialize with the deaf/hoh. AGH! planing a campus visit to CSUN would be great. Gotta ask that. :)

EDIT: The guy that went from a deaf school to Princeton was Jeffrey Mansfield! Check out his profile here: Princeton University | Jeffrey Mansfield ’08

Hah! Nice you two met each other. That's the thing too. I'm worried about not able to help, interact other people out in the mainstream world/workforce, orally or even meet with a "love of my life" (Hey... not now!). I know I gotta dish out my Deaf situation at first, but it's not easy for me as some people take me for a different person at first and I like it. Blah I don't know about myself anymore.

I'm seriously thinking about CSUN because I want to try to socialize with the Deaf/HoH while studying on whichever major I pick by then. Not solely focused on the Deaf/HoH community nor the mainstream world, but both at the same time.

BUT then again, there's other great schools like UC Berkeley or even Stanford,... I want to be on my own with responsibilities , maybe while out of state. I'm so behind on these kind of stuff. I always thought transferring out of state wasn't even possible, but it is and that really messed my mind up with opportunities.

Disability resources and service. I was ignorant and "didn't need it" back then in High school. *shake my head*
... Maybe my counselor won't help me on stuff like this. The fact I feel stuck in between mainstream vs. deaf get me a headache, I should really, really, really take advice from you guys or a counselor from CSUN as opposed to one from my mainstream community college.

First is what's your interest in majoring with your school. I know several people who attended to CSUN and they like it there. Gallaudet do have program for any one who does not know ASL and will take ASL course two weeks before school starts. My hubby went there and told me that they are pretty helpful so you can meet others who are in the same boats as you. But focus on your major what you like then it matches to your school then go there. Maybe you can go to CSUN, and they do visit gally during break like holiday. SOme people did go to gallaudet for one semester and leave due to many reasons like they don't like it there or too overwhleming or so go on.

you are right that focusing on your interest in taking courses. so good luck. :)

You nailed it. I was always thinking about that when it comes to these schools. I want to learn a lot while over there with the great accommodations (I bet!) and have a great start in the workforce. I thought about CSUN because it's a mainstream school and has a deaf community over there. Perhaps I would have my major picked by then and hang out/socialize with the deaf! Double win situation as opposed to NTID and Gally (only if they don't have a good academic record or something. Lack of words here, but I hope you know what I mean!)

Yes, I see what you do mean.

Now, PrincessBetty1 is planned to go to see Gally this year. I hope everything will be fine for her. :fingersx:

funny-job-interview-questions.jpg

"So what school did you go to?"

"I went to ______"

"Thank you for your time."

The fact about what school you went to can affect your job choices; for instance, if you want to work at Wall Street or be a special educational teacher at Gallaudet Uni, you must go to a "real good" school (at least from what I seen/heard) in order for you to get employer's attention and call you, or you call them and get the job without trouble at the very least.

My mind is set on that kind of stuff right now. I haven't even decided what to do, but what school I'll be studying at could affect my career, competitively and/or academically (since there's special resources centers opportunities), regardless of whichever major I choose.

I need to keep my nose in the books.

I'm surprised, to be honest, because I thought that school would have strictly mute/voice off students at the very least and thought I wouldn't "fit" in as I grew up, orally. It's a DEAF school! But then again, don't judge the book by its cover.

Do you guys know anyone that went to NTID or Gallaudet and got a stable job/career choice? I'd go to the their website, but they would only include the very successful people attending there and got a fantastic job, at least from what I think.

My brother and I graduated from Gallaudet and we both have full-time careers.

The fact I feel stuck in between mainstream vs. deaf get me a headache, I should really, really, really take advice from you guys or a counselor from CSUN as opposed to one from my mainstream community college.
On the other hand, you're just dealing with the typical HOH issues, with "fitting in"
I think you would love the experiance of attending a Deaf College or at least a college with a strong dhh program....Let me guess you've always been a solotaire right? Although it does sound like you didn't have a ton of major issues....But still, college is so much different from high school. Not to mention that, if you attend a college with a strong dhh program, networking for jobs and internships is a lot easier, when you're not dealing with dumbassed middle managers who think that we're retarded b/c of the way we talk....sigh.....

mudkipz

I want to clarify this one, and i had to check with my hub about it. He said, " oh i like it there and its ok". I thought he loved it there becuase he was pretty involved with gallaudet activities such as committees for homecoming, fun sports, tutors and frats. That's what i was under the impression. But he pointed it out, "its ok". then Ok it was my words to say LOVE. sorry!

again follow your heart for your passion for the major for your future which is important.

When I visited Gallaudet in October, I didn't really have a great experience. I might go back and visit again. I was accepted and got a scholarship, so it's worth my time to consider going there. However, when I visited, I got this unwelcoming vibe from some of the students. I was touring with my hearing aunt, and I spoke to her WHILE I signed. Any time I ever used my voice with her, I made sure to sign. A girl at a nearby table in the cafeteria called me out on it and asked why I was talking at a deaf university, and told me I don't belong there.

One boy showing us around was HOH, and told us so. When we were outside, he would use his voice for my aunt and signed for me as well--when we got into the cafeteria, he immediately refused to speak because people would get mad.

I saw that lame video blog mentioning that issue from a deafie on YouTube - some grad-student guy in his 30s, named Shane Dundas, posted that v-log last October. I can say that I'm glad I never attended Gally or NTID/RIT to begin with.

One of the comments by a hearing guy stated that "deafies have a chip on their shoulders ... us hearing students are here to be allies, not to be oppressed by deaf" and then he stated that he can use his cell phone on campus because deafies use private Sorenson VP booths. I agreed completely with that hearing guy.

Oh yeah, I just thought of something. Deafies say that they don't want hearies to use SimCom or use their voices, but ... to point out the obvious: Deafies can't hear their own voices, yet they use it. I have seen and heard them during my 6 years in the deaf community before quitting in 2003.

Another example was an early episode of the NBC sitcom "Friends," where Phoebe was falling asleep in the coffeeshop because she had to endure hearing her deaf neighbors having loud sex the night before. ("You have no idea how LOUD they were!")

Those above examples I stated are big issues of "pot calling the kettle black." Just saying and pointing out this issue occurring in the deaf community - and put down the tomatoes and eggs.

On the other hand, you're just dealing with the typical HOH issues, with "fitting in"
I think you would love the experiance of attending a Deaf College or at least a college with a strong dhh program....Let me guess you've always been a solotaire right? Although it does sound like you didn't have a ton of major issues....But still, college is so much different from high school. Not to mention that, if you attend a college with a strong dhh program, networking for jobs and internships is a lot easier, when you're not dealing with dumbassed middle managers who think that we're retarded b/c of the way we talk....sigh.....

I just emailed CSUN as a prospective student wanting to see the campus and take a tour while mentioning that I'm deaf with cochlear implants. I'm very excited because they also had a Deaf/Hard of Hearing Additional application on their website; I immediately knew from just looking though the application that they would have a lot of support for DHH. They even have their own center (National Center on Deafness)!

I also emailed UC Berkeley for a visit with my Dad calling them beforehand.

Oh man I can't wait for the emails back, probably the most important emails ever besides order notifications lol!

And networking for jobs and internships being a lot easier... how you know this? Wouldn't other universities mention that I'm deaf after graduating with a degree? I'm a noobie at reality (seriously! didn't know I could transfer out of state at first!) so please explain.

I saw that lame video blog mentioning that issue from a deafie on YouTube - some grad-student guy in his 30s, named Shane Dundas, posted that v-log last October. I can say that I'm glad I never attended Gally or NTID/RIT to begin with.

One of the comments by a hearing guy stated that "deafies have a chip on their shoulders ... us hearing students are here to be allies, not to be oppressed by deaf" and then he stated that he can use his cell phone on campus because deafies use private Sorenson VP booths. I agreed completely with that hearing guy.

Oh yeah, I just thought of something. Deafies say that they don't want hearies to use SimCom or use their voices, but ... to point out the obvious: Deafies can't hear their own voices, yet they use it. I have seen and heard them during my 6 years in the deaf community before quitting in 2003.

Another example was an early episode of the NBC sitcom "Friends," where Phoebe was falling asleep in the coffeeshop because she had to endure hearing her deaf neighbors having loud sex the night before. ("You have no idea how LOUD they were!")

Those above examples I stated are big issues of "pot calling the kettle black." Just saying and pointing out this issue occurring in the deaf community - and put down the tomatoes and eggs.

Do ALLLL Deafies say no to Sim-Comming or just a few?

Also, using Sim-Com messes up both languages making it harder to understand. I would rather someone use ASL instead of trying to speak English and sign ASL at the same time. It just confuses me even more.

Do ALLLL Deafies say no to Sim-Comming or just a few?

Also, using Sim-Com messes up both languages making it harder to understand. I would rather someone use ASL instead of trying to speak English and sign ASL at the same time. It just confuses me even more.

LOL yeah I used to sim com sometimes even though i dont prounounce right. One time, my class required for a speaker so I went on the stage and gave a speech. I had a hard time giving speech. One of the students stood up and told me " turn your voice OFF and use your own hands and sign". SO i took his advice and i gave my speech beautifully. I was shocked at myself that i had been using voice and signing at the same time for a long time. No wonder i did mess up with sign and voice without thinking the important part. After that I turned my voice off and sign it much better since now.

LOL yeah I used to sim com sometimes even though i dont prounounce right. One time, my class required for a speaker so I went on the stage and gave a speech. I had a hard time giving speech. One of the students stood up and told me " turn your voice OFF and use your own hands and sign". SO i took his advice and i gave my speech beautifully. I was shocked at myself that i had been using voice and signing at the same time for a long time. No wonder i did mess up with sign and voice without thinking the important part. After that I turned my voice off and sign it much better since now.

Right..it is like speaking Spanish and English in the same sentences. Just messes up the languages. I have too much respect for both languages to do that.

And networking for jobs and internships being a lot easier... how you know this? Wouldn't other universities mention that I'm deaf after graduating with a degree? I'm a noobie at reality (seriously! didn't know I could transfer out of state at first!) so please explain.

Just a thought, networking with the deaf at Gally or RIT/NTID is extremely helpful. Gally does internships and RIT has co-ops, so you also get real life experience that looks good on your resume. When you do networking there and make connections, it's so much easier to get a job. All my friends from Gally and RIT have pretty good jobs right now or have good job prospects.

Other universities wouldn't mention you were deaf if a prospective employer contacted them, if that's what you're asking though. They can't give that kind of information out, from what I understand.

You sound kind of like me, except I'm not implanted. I LOVE the deaf community and I'm happy with where I decided to go to school. I haven't visited CSUN but I'm sure it's nice. If you have any questions about RIT/NTID or Gally you can PM me if you want.

I've met so many more people and learned so much now that I feel like those people are really few and far in between. I don't know of any deaf who care if you use your voice, obviously we can't hear it. As for sim comming, some of them don't like it because it can mess up your ASL, but i've never heard of anyone who cares about voicing what you sign. It'd be bad voiced English, but whatever floats your boat, ya know?

Plus, I think for most deafies, we're fine with hearing people who are on our side. If the hearing person acts like they're better than us or makes us feel inferior in some way because of our deafness, then yeah, I wouldn't like it either. I don't care if you use your cellphone at Gally either. Who cares? Not me. It's your business, I don't need you to sign your private phone conversation or anything. The deaf people who only want you to be a certain way are just behind the times and need to get with the program. All deaf individuals are unique, so just ignore the haters who tell you not to voice, not to talk on your cellphone, not to sign PSE, or whatever. Don't waste your time with them.

My point is, Gallaudet (or RIT/NTID even) shouldn't be shot down because of the tiny group of people who are rude and mean.

Well think abt it.....if you attend a hearing university, you wouldn't know of the dhh friendly employers, and you also wouldn't have to break the ceiling of being the first deaf employee, as well as not having to deal with dumbassed hearies who think that we're not exactly bright b/c of the way we talk.
Trust me I know. I've been done with college for a while (went to hearing college) and STILL don't have a job! :( Been searching too......going to hearing college is only good if you're on a Harvard level or if your college offers a unique course of study.

Back