What is "cued speech"?

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
seriously, i support asl for deaf kids, but it isn't a cure-all for literacy issues. They still need a working knowledge of english to learn to read and write, and that is where things get sticky.

what method do you believe is effective to a working knowledge of English to deaf kids? List few if you like.

depends on the kid, of course. The problem is that a child needs to have a working knowledge of the language they are learning to read before they start to learn to read. SEE might work for some (i'm not sure, i have no experience with it at all). I have met some very successful cuers (kids and adults). And some kids do well with learning english through listening.

i don't claim to have the answer, i never have. I am just pointing out that it is naive to say that ASL is the answer to english literacy.

Wirelessly posted

Buffalo said:
Wirelessly posted

how is learning one language that is completely different in grammar, syntax and mode "the answer" for learning to read and write another language?

and so the answer for hearing kids who are struggling to learn to read and write english is....greek!

seriously, i support asl for deaf kids, but it isn't a cure-all for literacy issues. They still need a working knowledge of english to learn to read and write, and that is where things get sticky.

Spanish-Speaking Children in American Schools: The Story of an Educational Crime. this link says that spanish-speaking kids should be in spanish speaking classes along with a intensive English course until they get to the point where they can take math and science in English. Also it says that the kids should continue throughout the school years as bilingual kids.

How do you know that ASL is not a cure-all for literacy issues? What if the teacher is really signing in PSE or even SEE and tells you that he uses ASL??? I don't like it when they use PSE/SEE then announce that ASL is not helping the deaf kids with their English.

ummm, i'm "getting it" from the leading researchers in deaf ed today...

Ehh, just take it easy and take it like a champ. The forum here is a lot like a place for nitpickers and pot shots, so you gotta keep up with it or slide out the back door. We get nitpicked all the time in other topics too, same for me. :P

I used to have a problem with contractions in grammar too when I was younger. Its and It's were no exception. There's an easier way to know what format to use.

Think of it's, the ['s] as substitute words: it['s] - it [is, has, was]. If what you're saying doesn't fit with one of the words after the [ ], then that's where its is used. Hope that helps. :D

:ty: but I already knew the difference. Like I said, I don't always pay attention to my automatic "spell check". Jiro just likes to play with me. I was just clarifying that I had the right to play just like him.

I do appreciate the way in which you conveyed your intent. I mean that in all sincerity too.

depends on the kid, of course. The problem is that a child needs to have a working knowledge of the language they are learning to read before they start to learn to read. SEE might work for some (i'm not sure, i have no experience with it at all). I have met some very successful cuers (kids and adults). And some kids do well with learning english through listening.

i don't claim to have the answer, i never have. I am just pointing out that it is naive to say that ASL is the answer to english literacy.

huh? who said that? I think you're confusing yourself. We are saying SEE, Cued Speech, etc. are not the answer to English literacy skill. Don't you think it is naive to say that SEE is the answer to English literacy too?

and..... I know the answer to my question. The most effective and simplest solution is...... um.... read books. lol!!! It's basically nearly fail-proof!

I don't know if you realize this but if there are several "methods" for same thing.... don't you think there's something wrong with this picture?

Cue speech should be called Phonetic Cues. In fact, I'm going to start calling it that. I will make lots of money some day for that name. Hmm.

*ego big head me (ASL sign)*

?...... And the only reason to even consider using it in a communication setting is if you are attempting to keep a child in an audtitory/oral environment.

Such paranoia.. Parents do not choose it to keep a child in an audtitory/oral environment. It is chosen to start communication as soon as possible. And it works well.

Wirelessly posted

how is learning one language that is completely different in grammar, syntax and mode "the answer" for learning to read and write another language?

and so the answer for hearing kids who are struggling to learn to read and write english is....greek!

Transference of like skills. It has to do with the way the brain works. I think we have explained this in the past.

:ty: but I already knew the difference. Like I said, I don't always pay attention to my automatic "spell check". Jiro just likes to play with me. I was just clarifying that I had the right to play just like him.

I do appreciate the way in which you conveyed your intent. I mean that in all sincerity too.

Play? We're not in kindergarten.

You're a mother who was deeply concerned with your deaf son's English literacy skill so I'm just puzzled to why you are not able to discern the difference with 2 completely different words in dozens of your posts. I mean dozens and dozens and dozens.

It's easy. Its easy. Impossible for me to make that kind of confusion even if I'm heavily inebriated like PFH.

Wirelessly posted

No they don't. A child can learn to read in a foreign or different language from beginning with one word. They do not have to have a working knowledge of the language prior to learning to read in that language. They simply need to have A LANGUAGE...which can and should be ASL for deaf kids.

Such paranoia.. Parents do not choose it to keep a child in an audtitory/oral environment. It is chosen to start communication as soon as possible. And it works well.

Paranoia? No, the truth. Why would you even attempt to use CS as a communication modality if your child was not in an auditory oral envirnment? It would be of no use otherwise. Think, Cloggy.

Wirelessly posted

Some kids learn it well through listening...hearing kids. We are, however, discussing deaf kids. And if deaf kids learned English well through listening, oralism would have been successful. Instead, it is responsible for all of the ills we see in deaf ed today.

Play? We're not in kindergarten.
Yes, I'm aware. Haven't been in kindergarten for quite some time. I chose that language for a specific reason. I could have worded it differently, I chose not to.

You're a mother who was deeply concerned with your deaf son's English literacy skill so I'm just puzzled to why you are not able to discern the difference with 2 completely different words in dozens of your posts. I mean dozens and dozens and dozens.

Literacy skills are important, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm, "deeply concerned" with his literacy skills. I have a number of things that I think about in regards to my son, literacy skills are not something I'm "deeply concerned" about. His literacy skills are A OK.

Also, I rarely read over what I post at the time. Most often I'm posting on my phone which has it's own spelling and grammar. For example, when I try to type, "has" it's replaced with ,"HA's". That is something I'm readily aware of and I often correct it when I see it. :ty: for bringing my attention to this pressing issue. I'll be sure to pay closer attention going forward.

It's easy. Its easy. Impossible for me to make that kind of confusion even if
I'm heavily inebriated like PFH.

:thumb:

I credit reading with teaching me English. I am told I taught myself to read at the age of 3 all on my own, and I was always an avid reader. Then again I didn't start losing my hearing until age 4, so maybe those first 4 years of being exposed to spoke English had a lot to do with being able to read in the first place, I don't know.

But will say that I am living proof that it is possible for a child to learn English spelling and grammar solely from reading. I far surpassed all of my hearing classmates in reading, spelling and grammar for pretty much all of my school years.

I didn't need Cued Speech or even sign language to learn literacy in and of itself. However, I wonder if I had been born with my hearing loss instead of not losing it until age 4, if Cued Speech would have helped me learn to read, or if I still would have found a way to teach myself to read even without it. I mean, I WAS only 3, it's not like that much spoken English was accessible to me to use for that purpose, just on the basis of my age, you know? I wasn't even alive long enough to have heard much beyond what my mother and grandparents spoke to me, and we all know that 3 year olds don't hear that large of a vocabulary from their parents yet.

So, I guess my point is, maybe it is possible a child can learn to read without needing that much language, and as was the case with me, reading TEACHES them the language. I have no way of knowing, but it is definitely food for thought, no?

I credit reading with teaching me English. I am told I taught myself to read at the age of 3 all on my own, and I was always an avid reader. Then again I didn't start losing my hearing until age 4, so maybe those first 4 years of being exposed to spoke English had a lot to do with being able to read in the first place, I don't know.

But will say that I am living proof that it is possible for a child to learn English spelling and grammar solely from reading. I far surpassed all of my hearing classmates in reading, spelling and grammar for pretty much all of my school years.

I didn't need Cued Speech or even sign language to learn literacy in and of itself. However, I wonder if I had been born with my hearing loss instead of not losing it until age 4, if Cued Speech would have helped me learn to read, or if I still would have found a way to teach myself to read even without it. I mean, I WAS only 3, it's not like that much spoken English was accessible to me to use for that purpose, just on the basis of my age, you know? I wasn't even alive long enough to have heard much beyond what my mother and grandparents spoke to me, and we all know that 3 year olds don't hear that large of a vocabulary from their parents yet.

So, I guess my point is, maybe it is possible a child can learn to read without needing that much language, and as was the case with me, reading TEACHES them the language. I have no way of knowing, but it is definitely food for thought, no?
I was born deaf. I did not learn cued speech till I was in the second grade. According to my first grade report, my sentence structures were nearly faultless and my first grade teacher reported that I always had my nose in a book. So Cued Speech can not have been the reason that I am able to read and write well.

My son was reading at the age of 3 1/2. He was deaf from birth. He was never exposed to CS. He was, however, raised in a language (bilingual) and literacy enriched environment.

His literacy skills are A OK.
oh my... now I am deeply concerned... My literacy skill was 2 grades ahead of my peers just from reading books at around your son's age.

looks like SEE method wasn't working out well as you'd hoped....

Reading is indeed an excellent way to gain literacy skills. However, not all children learn by the same methods ... some have difficulty gaining proficiency by 'visual' alone. Seems to me that cued speech not only compliments the visual but could also be good reinforcement for more kinesthetic-based learners.

Back