What is "cued speech"?

"If you want to reinforce the kinesthetic properties of language, it seems to me that a contextual approach involving kinesthetics would be more successful.." . This is what made me think you were referring to the kinesthetics of the language rather than the kinesthetic need of the learner ;-).

re Focus: the child cuing in response as well as to themselves

I should have phrased that "the kinesthetic properties of language learning" I guess. All language learning involves kinesthetic activity.

"If you want to reinforce the kinesthetic properties of language, it seems to me that a contextual approach involving kinesthetics would be more successful.." . This is what made me think you were referring to the kinesthetics of the language rather than the kinesthetic need of the learner ;-).

Well, if it is kinesthetic activity to increase the child's focus, then I would think that cuing would be more of a distraction to focus than would be tapping their foot. Yet tapping the foot would also release the energy that prevents focus through a kinesthetic means.

The problem with deaf children learning to read really isn't about a lack of focus, though. It is about a misfit between environment and child.

This should remain a topic about deaf kids. Kinesthetic learners can be discussed on a hearing education forum.

Bottesini, I have been thinking of/referring to deaf or HoH children in this thread - all children, all people, fall under one or more of three basic kind of learners, kinesthetic being one of them.

Bottesini, I have been thinking of/referring to deaf or HoH children in this thread - all children, all people, fall under one or more of three basic kind of learners, kinesthetic being one of them.

Actually, all children are kinesthetic learners. That is why they put things in their mouth to investigate them or touch things they are told not to touch.

True Jillio and, as they grow they often develop a learning preference in the other two areas. But I was just clarifying with Bottesini that my OP about cued speech perhaps being beneficial to 'k' learners is indeed on topic re deaf/HoH children.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Kids who are fluent in ASL often do very well in English, because of cross-modality.

Cue speech = dictionary. I like that analogy.

There you go. That is perfect. A dictionary to be used for spoken language.

Would not fingerspelling serve the same purpose as cued speech? Wouldn't fingerspelling rendor CS pointless?

Wirelessly posted

sunny_signs said:
I think my biggest question: why we put so much work try teach deaf people talk instead teach hearing people sign?

Excellent point, Sunny.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

Buffalo said:
I think my biggest question: why we put so much work try teach deaf people talk instead teach hearing people sign?

Yeah, I had this thought. If Dr. Cornett thinks that the deaf people need to lipread and talk better via cued speech in order to improve their reading skills, what about HEARING people with sub-par reading skills? Do they need cued speech??? I know they would say - no no they need more work, not cued speech. We know that cued speech is not the answer. ASL is the answer.

how is learning one language that is completely different in grammar, syntax and mode "the answer" for learning to read and write another language?

and so the answer for hearing kids who are struggling to learn to read and write english is....greek!

seriously, i support asl for deaf kids, but it isn't a cure-all for literacy issues. They still need a working knowledge of english to learn to read and write, and that is where things get sticky.

How many times does it have to be mentioned...you don't need the sound to know how to read and write. Reading and writing is the foundation of language - sound and/or speech is just the spoken mode. It is not language in and of itself.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
The guys at the Journal of Deaf Education and Deaf Studies seem to think you need a working knowledge of English to read and write...So do those at NTID, Depaul University, York University, and more.

RIT - NTID - Raising and Educating a Deaf Child - Question from S.S., South Dakota

"In order to address this issue, deaf children require access to some form of face-to-face English (e.g., contact signing, Cued Speech, signed form of English, speechreading, etc.) in sufficient quantity and quality so that they can acquire the language that they are going to need to make sense of text. While we recognize that it can be challenging to consider the balance between the two languages in your daughter’s life, there is no way around the fact that she will need control of English vocabulary, grammar, and syntax in order to read and write it."

I didnt have full access to English but yet, I learned it by reading constantly. Contrary to popular belief, having spoken English skills is NOT the only way to acquire literacy in English.

:h5:

Back