What is "cued speech"?

Lily7

Reaction score
I tried googling it but it is really confusing. I watched some videos of it on youtube, too. And I looked at "cue charts" WTF? :shock::confused::confused::confused:

Can someone explain what it is in simple terms?

It's the 'darkness' of the light, if you picture ASL as the light here. Everything has a dark side. Though folks with cued might see themselves in the light too, but it's not the majority here.

One of the things that if you talk about it, you will get flash-ganged and mobbed for thinking about it. :lol:

In a nutshell, it's just an alternative form of sign language that isn't too popular with the members here, same as SEE.

That's OK, after I posted this I finally found a video that fully explained what it was.

I try not to be judgmental but... I'm sorry, it looks really dumb. If you're going to go to all that effort to make handshapes and place them in order to show what words you're saying... why not just sign? Sign seems EASIER.

It's not meant as a sign method, but has a use in classrooms to this day as a tool for literacy.

I was very interested in learning it at one point (after I'd started learning ASL). In fact, I'm still a little interested in learning it.

Once (long ago), I tried learning it off a cue chart.

Not a pretty picture. I find ASL much, MUCH easier. :)

That's OK, after I posted this I finally found a video that fully explained what it was.

I try not to be judgmental but... I'm sorry, it looks really dumb. If you're going to go to all that effort to make handshapes and place them in order to show what words you're saying... why not just sign? Sign seems EASIER.

Its just another method of the hearing's perspective of trying to educate the deaf....

I just am in awe that it still exists to this day.

I have never been exposed to cued speech in person. I just know that some people use it as a teaching tool.

:dunno: Seems like people wants to make up something, and call it a language.

It is NOT a sign language.

It's a manual method for visualizing phonetic sounds.

It could be used as clarification for people using speech reading and voice for communication.

I've seen it used.

Here is their own definition at cued speech.org :

"Cued Speech is a mode of communication based on the phonemes and properties of traditionally spoken languages. Cueing allows users who are deaf or hard of hearing or who have language/communication disorders to access the basic, fundamental properties of spoken languages through the use of vision."

Both parties have to know the system in order for it to be useful.

This is how I read it when somebody CS to me - blah bla blarrr!!!!!!!!!!!! bah bah bada blah??????????? Baya baga bada!!!!

Met a hearing girl in Virginia last week who demonstrated cued speech to me because I asked her. Her sister is deaf but has CI.

I saw some parents of CI kids demonstrating cued speech recently and that was exactly my thought.

If it's just an occassional thing, ok I sort of see the point, but if all speech is cued? Seems like a PITA, learn ASL.

Yeah, it's basicly visable Hooked On Phonics. It was also never intended to be a language, but rather just a way to visalize phonetics. It would be a good tool to get dhh kids to understand phonics, like in English class.

Cued speech was all the rage in my second grade oral class. Although I credit Cued Speech with helping me understand the basics of understanding English phonics, I never did master phonics.

I have not used cued speech since I was in the 4th grade and I've forgotten it. I prefer ASL.

Cued speech: AKA INSULTING FAKE SIGN LANGUAGE!!! Ack! Did nothing but piss me off pretty good back in the day.

Cued speech: AKA INSULTING FAKE SIGN LANGUAGE!!! Ack! Did nothing but piss me off pretty good back in the day.

No, it's a teaching tool for phonemic awareness.. If you used it as a sign language, you were wrong.

No, it's a teaching tool for phonemic awareness.. If you used it as a sign language, you were wrong.

Correct. It is an oralist invention that attempts to keep deaf kids oral...despite the fact that the very invention of the system admits to the flaws in their reasoning.

Back