What is "cued speech"?

Maybe I not understand this so well...hold hand shape or whatever for mean certain sound not make know what sounds like. Not understand purpose.

Exactly. It is a visual representation of a sound, which really doesn't tell the person who can't hear the sound much information at all.

ew. passive aggressiveness. disgusting.

copied naisho's

PopcornCat.gif

Ummm....making the phonemes of speech visable? Relying on audition? Spoken English bias?

I'm aware of what Cued Speech is. Lily said, "to make their children function as hearing as possible". I asked Lily to elaborate with what she had intended by that comment. It can be perceived to have different meanings.

Some speech therapists use Cued Speech to help DHH children know/learn what sounds specific letters or blends make in an effort to assist with articulation. In other words, it can help with one's speech/articulation if they are familiar with the cues.

I was curious if Lily was referring to the speech aspect as, "making children as hearing as possible". If she (and whoever else reads this) views speech abilities in a DHH person who has the ability to develop it, as a bad thing.

I try not to assume a posters intent if I'm not clear. That's why I asked Lily to elaborate.

This really not make sense. Who create this? Why?
It was created by Dr. R. Orin Cornett with the goal of improving reading ability/literacy.

Cued speech gives the different sounds that look the same on the lips different handshapes/movements. Some sounds that have different mouth movements use the same handshape or movement (like d and p or i and a).

"Cued Speech is a mode of communication based on the phonemes and properties of traditionally spoken languages. Cueing allows users who are deaf or hard of hearing or who have language/communication disorders to access the basic, fundamental properties of spoken languages through the use of vision."

National Cued Speech Association

I don't support Cued Speech as a mode of communication, but I do support it's use as a teaching tool.

I'm aware of what Cued Speech is. Lily said, "to make their children function as hearing as possible". I asked Lily to elaborate with what she had intended by that comment. It can be perceived to have different meanings.

Some speech therapists use Cued Speech to help DHH children know/learn what sounds specific letters or blends make in an effort to assist with articulation. In other words, it can help with one's speech/articulation if they are familiar with the cues.

I was curious if Lily was referring to the speech aspect as, "making children as hearing as possible". If she (and whoever else reads this) views speech abilities in a DHH person who has the ability to develop it, as a bad thing.

The answer to your original question is in my post that you quoted.

"Cued Speech is a mode of communication based on the phonemes and properties of traditionally spoken languages. Cueing allows users who are deaf or hard of hearing or who have language/communication disorders to access the basic, fundamental properties of spoken languages through the use of vision."

National Cued Speech Association

The National Cued Speech Association is attempting to revise a method that has no empirical support for effectiveness regarding the purpose for which it was intended, distort it as something it isn't nor was ever intended to be, and make money off it. They jumped on the bandwagon as soon as childhood implantation became more prevalent. They are just another oralist organization attempting to make a buck off implanted kids.

I don't support Cued Speech as a mode of communication, but I do support it's use as a teaching tool.

I'm sorry but I have to ask. It's been bothering me just as much as a mole bothered Austin Powers.

Why are you having trouble with "it's" and "its"?

I read the history of Cued Speech. (Cued Speech > History > Dr. R. Orin Cornett, Inventor of Cued Speech Passes) What grabs my attention is that in 1959, he found that many deaf people have below grade level reading skills. If he had bothered to find out why, he would have found it is because of oralism.

Exactly. And what does "below grade level" really mean? Grade level testing results are really not the black and white pronouncement that people seem to think they are.

yes, this was touched on in the NCLB thread <"grade levels">

seems people can take an association "below grade level" and "deaf" and turn it around to make the comparison fit their agenda and their bias, when the correlation isn't really there in the first place

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

it is an attempt to make the english language less ambiguous when lipreading. It isn't sign. It is to help deaf kids learn english.

Well, in that case, it has not been shown, on any level, to be effective. So why is all of a sudden being resurrected?

who is resurrecting it and when did it die?

Back