Votes: 11 9.3%
  • DSL

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • Cable

Votes: 71 60.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters
Cable modem internet here. :) It's smok'n! I've been with broadband since Jan 2001, never went back to dial up since after. :lol:

Liebling:-))) said:
DSL connection.

I am surprised to see the poll that all have cable connection...

What´s an exact cable connection for the computer because I never heard about this. Is it new?

My cable modem's speed is 512kb. Dial-up's speed is 56kb! I feel bad for those with dial-ups! :(

512kbps for your cable modem??? thats tad slow! I usually get 3mbps, in other word 3,000 kbps. Thats download side, upload I seems to reach barrier around 380KBPS. Wish I could push it up to 512 KBPS so I can have three way conversation on VP. Once a while I did 3 way conversation, not always smooth because of that upload speed barrier... grrrr but at least it works hehehe

Deaf258 said:
My cable modem's speed is 512kb. Dial-up's speed is 56kb! I feel bad for those with dial-ups! :(

Deaf258 said:

haha.. mine ain't 56kb.. mine is 115.3kps dial-up 5x faster

diehardbiker65 said:
Cable new? Actually cable internet is older than DSL! Internet via cable started sometime in 1995, DSL started sometimes in 1999. I may be wrong with years, but I know for sure cable started before DSL that is because phone company wanted to jump in broadband after saw what Cable company did, so its about competition.

Most well known brand for cable iinternet is called Road Runner.

Internet over cable without cable tv? Yes! can be done, I am using dish for my tv and use cable for my internet connection.

Finally, internet though satellite isn't as great as cable or DSL, unless you want to fork alot of money to get as fast as cable. (Direcway don't offer broadband, Starband does, but at price you don't want to pay). Satellite is good for those area that don't offer cable AND DSL. Videophone won't work well with satellite, sorry to break that news.

:-o cable connection is older than DSL connection? :-o.

Yes, you were correct about satellite connection for computer but it´s expensive. We rather use DSL connection with unlimited with reasonable price.

I will find out more about cable connection for computer soon because all what I saw is here in Germany is popular to use DSL connection.

We don´t have TV cable but satellite because the villiage where I live don´t have cable connection for TV. We are happy to have satellite for 2 TV. I think DSL connection is enough and I´m happy with it. I´m not computer or TV freaker... LOL :giggle:

Deaf258 said:

I think mine is high speed than your.... :dunno:

I will be back to post soon after find out how speed my computer has...

DSL connection is great for download which it´s real speed...

Now I just realized that your from Germany, so I really don't know how they set up Wide Area Networking. But for America side, Cable modem has been around for long time, longer than DSL that I know FOR SURE!

Soon WiFi will be next, and yes Cable companies and phone companies is now very nervous about it because of its ability to transmit at faster rate, plus its wireless. As right now it stands, City of Philly, PA offers free WiFi service to all of the city residents... sure hurts competitors big time.

Liebling:-))) said:
:-o cable connection is older than DSL connection? :-o.

Yes, you were correct about satellite connection for computer but it´s expensive. We rather use DSL connection with unlimited with reasonable price.

I will find out more about cable connection for computer soon because all what I saw is here in Germany is popular to use DSL connection.

We don´t have TV cable but satellite because the villiage where I live don´t have cable connection for TV. We are happy to have satellite for 2 TV. I think DSL connection is enough and I´m happy with it. I´m not computer or TV freaker... LOL :giggle:

I am on Dial up. My brother keeps nagging me to get cable, just havn't yet. My computer is so screwed up right now, I've had to go over and borrow my mom's laptop just to get online this past week.

FAST AND CHEAP solution to your PC problem... format and reinstall all anew then install anti spyware software.
Trust me, you will see big different and huge increase in speed

hedge said:
I am on Dial up. My brother keeps nagging me to get cable, just havn't yet. My computer is so screwed up right now, I've had to go over and borrow my mom's laptop just to get online this past week.

diehardbiker65 said:
FAST AND CHEAP solution to your PC problem... format and reinstall all anew then install anti spyware software.
Trust me, you will see big different and huge increase in speed

i second that. just try that !

My old puter using DSL Hi-speed Edition Ultra under sympatico.ca

My new puter using CABLE.. Hi-speed Basic under Rogers.ca *consider increase Elite, reason for my gaming on line* (scoffl laughing)

My speed test is showing 2.5mbps/256k, though it's a 3mbps down and 256k up cable connection. It varies on internet traffic so speed varies.

sequoias said:
My speed test is showing 2.5mbps/256k, though it's a 3mbps down and 256k up cable connection. It varies on internet traffic so speed varies.
My connection speed test is showing 3.7mbps/3727 kbps using Road Runner Cable Modem (Toshiba Cable Modem)

Back