What if......

What if the calendar had never been invented? How would we keep time?

What if we lived in a world where the speed of light was a quarter of the speed here? Due to the theory of relativity time would flow differently for all of us so can you imagine the logistics nightmare in trying to keep everyone on the same time?

LOL, there was a sundial before the calendar and clock were invented.

Sundial_2r.jpg

:lol:

So, like tree-o'clock? Roof-o'clock?

What if we lived in a world where the speed of light was a quarter of the speed here? Due to the theory of relativity time would flow differently for all of us so can you imagine the logistics nightmare in trying to keep everyone on the same time?

hmmm that doesn't really make any sense because if this world is where speed of light was a quarter of the speed here... then it affects us all the same.

so in theory of relativity where time would flow differently for all of us - it's because someone is on different object... for ie... earthlings and astronauts.

so the logistic nightmare in trying to keep everyone on the same time? that's time zones and daylight saving time.

oh my. how did you associate yourself with this person in the first place?

Long story. I've known him for far longer than I would've cared for. He has no business getting involved with me anymore, and that's why I quit telling him stuff.

What if robots take over the world?

we will fight back!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT_lFIdN6qk]Terminator Opening Titles - YouTube[/ame]

What if you woke up and find out youre last of your kind.

I think you will get abducted by alien and placed in either museum or conservation in hope of creating more humans :hmm:

hmmm that doesn't really make any sense because if this world is where speed of light was a quarter of the speed here... then it affects us all the same.

so in theory of relativity where time would flow differently for all of us - it's because someone is on different object... for ie... earthlings and astronauts.

so the logistic nightmare in trying to keep everyone on the same time? that's time zones and daylight saving time.

I think I got his drift, so in a sense, it really exists between different species but not within. For instance, birds live "faster" while they see their movements as a normal speed, see us humans as trudging elephants, but to us our speed is normal and birds appear like their on speed. Interesting viewpoint Anihilist.

Check out this link on experiments of relativity of time: Is there any practical proof for time dilation?

Take note of this text:

In October 1971, Hafele and Keating flew cesium-beam atomic clocks, initially synchronized with the atomic clock at the US Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C., around the world both eastward and westward. After each flight, they compared the time on the clocks in the aircraft to the time on the clock at the Observatory. Their experimental data agreed within error to the predicted effects of time dilation. Of course, the effects were quite small since the planes were flying nowhere near the speed of light.

Plus GPS uses the theory of relativity in practical applications: GPS and Relativity

The engineers who designed the GPS system included these relativistic effects when they designed and deployed the system. For example, to counteract the General Relativistic effect once on orbit, they slowed down the ticking frequency of the atomic clocks before they were launched so that once they were in their proper orbit stations their clocks would appear to tick at the correct rate as compared to the reference atomic clocks at the GPS ground stations. Further, each GPS receiver has built into it a microcomputer that (among other things) performs the necessary relativistic calculations when determining the user's location.

So yeah the gist is what if the speed of light changed so that it's a quarter of what it used to be. Imagine if you went on a flight and came back home and you'd see that everyone aged a month even though you were gone for only a few hours.

Back