What happens when you don't know where your CI/HA is at all times....

Wow, I haven't read Reader's Digest in a long time...I used to read it a lot as a kid because Dad subscribed it. :). Ha.

Daughter lost her first pair early on. We could not find them anywhere. She was 5 at the time. Hubby checked out in the yard and son was hiding in the boat. We couldn't figure out why. Seems, son took her HA's and hung them on the clothes line and was using a sling shot and shooting gravel rocks at her HA's. Luckily, we were able to replace them, then a year after that, we find that she really didn't need them at all.

My son's kitty used to sit on the arm of the couch and try to knock his BTE out from behind his ear.:lol:

I remember looking for my HA for hours and then my sister's cat walks in and I'm about to let her out when I notice that she has my HA in her mouth so I ran after her and got my HA out of her mouth. I'm glad I caught her before l let her out.

TMJ had nothing to do with the pain that I experiniced with my HA. Hearing sounds was painful for me with the HA due to issues with recruitment and from being exhausted from trying to keep up with the hearing.

I don't have TMJ.

I once found my hearing aid nestled on a teddy bear's ear. My daughter explained that he became deaf and wouldn't listen to her so he needed a hearing aid.

That's so sweet. :) My son is fascinated with my "ears," and if he manages to get ahold of them, he tries to put them in his ears (he's turning three this month).

The Elk's Club helped me get my first set of ha's... recycled analogue BTE's that were not very comfortable. Had a lot of trouble with them leaving sores in my ears, and behind my ears... When I'd have seizures, I tended to grab them out of my ears and toss them because they hurt. I lost one in a parking lot on my way to Halifax (my friend put me in the car, and I discovered it was gone 6 hours down the road). The other, I lost about a year later. I had put it in my pocket when I was visiting my friend in Portland, and when I got home (an hour drive away), it was gone. We'd gone to the park and a bunch of stuff so I didn't have much hope.

A couple months later, I was back in Idaho at school, and I got an email from her all excited because she found it. I was practically dancing when she mailed it to me... but she had failed to mention she had found it in PIECES in front of her house. It had been in the road, getting run over for two months. Not helpful.

I bought myself digitals after that, no insurance. Expensive little buggers (still paying them off, $2500 each).... had them for about 6 months, and then I spent the night at a friend's house. I was really careful with them, but didn't have a box for them. I put them on a windowsill, high up, thinking they'd be safe. The next morning, they were gone. After two weeks of searching, I found the pieces to one under the couch... don't know how her cats got ahold of them, but they *loved* them. To death. *facepalm*

I'm really protective over my new ha's. They go in the box every night, and up high on a shelf so my son can't get them. I almost never take them off if I'm not at home--I just switch them off if they're bugging me. And yet, with all those precautions, my son still managed to get ahold of one the other day... and in 20 seconds had the battery crammed in *behind* the door. I tried everything to get it out, but couldn't... until I accidentally dropped it. Down the stairs. I don't know how it's still working.

Ever put your ha's in the dryer accidentally? I did that once with my first set... after getting in the shower with them. I guess it evened everything out, because they still worked.

Accident prone people like me should not have such expensive equipment. I'm like Bottesini, I could drop my ha in the only cup of water for miles around :)

I took care of a friend's pit bull for a few weekends. On the first one I had the dog in my house, the next morning I discovered my hearing aid GONE from the table next to the armchair. I have a habit of putting my HA there before turning in for the night, but this morning it was GONE!! Arrrghhh!!! I berated the poor dog for some time. I told it I could understand how it had a great sense of smell, but couldn't it resist eating ear wax, for crying out loud??? Truman the dog looked at me miserably.
Then I went to brush my teeth. I found the hearing aid on the top shelf next to the sink.
I felt so worthless. :roll:

Last edited:
I bought myself digitals after that, no insurance. Expensive little buggers (still paying them off, $2500 each).... had them for about 6 months, and then I spent the night at a friend's house.

Ouch, that hurts just reading about it. :(

Accident prone people like me should not have such expensive equipment. I'm like Bottesini, I could drop my ha in the only cup of water for miles around :)

No. If I can manage, anyone can manage. :D I use to misplace everything, including my keys, all the time.

Flashback to the early 1990s and the Widex Quattro Hybrid hearing aids. A pair of hearing aids that, from a fitting point of view, were perfect for me (well, given what was available at the time. :) ).

Problem was the technology at the time only allowed the settings to be controlled by a remote control. Me and a remote control? I predicted if I got them I would lose the RC within the first week. But I really wanted the HAs so I went for it.

I did misplace the RC in the beginning. But, slowly, over time I succeeded in changing my ways. I had to acquire the habit of always wearing a belt and with an oversized pager case that threaded into the belt. It worked.

But for as long as about six months after I got my next pair of hearing aids without a remote control, I would occassionally and absent mindedly tap my waist, not feel the belt or case and PANIC; I would literally gasp for air. Then I would remember and feel foolish.

But the main point is, if I can successfully keep track of hearing aids and away from my two mischievous cats, anyway can keep their hearing aids and keep them safe. I really believe that.

Bonus: I don't misplace my keys anymore either.

PS - FWIW, for people who like to frequently take off their HAs and have children and/or pets, I would keep a safe box in each room. If a box is never very far away, I find I am more likely to use it. If the kids are very young, probably a box with a combination lock on it would be better.

Wowww ok so here are my oopsies

First ha I had I one day decided I was going to nap on the couch..do I need to hear to nap..no lol so I took out my ha and put it on the ottoman. When I woke up I had to go get my mom from work because her car was getting fixed..I forgot to put my ha back in (this was when I had a mild loss) and left..when I got back I noticed my ha was gone..my old cat princess liked to swipe things so I looked in all her hiding places but no luck 'twas gone ...I ended up getting a free replacement for the ha and mold from phonak.

at worlds I decided to only wear one ha to compete in. When I went on the floor all was good for my tumbling and such until we got to the pyramid which was sort of to the end. My top knocked me in the side my ha was on and my bte came up my ear but was still in my ear...but then she knocked me againnnn and it fell to the floor RIGHT beside another girls shoe. She was the front so i mouthed to her get my hearing aid..she thought I said earring so she said I'm not getting that who cares! I was literally having heart palpatations ..When we cradled my top I went so low to pick up my ha and then had to finish the routine with it still in my hand.. I will attach a pic..I have the ha balled up into my fist when my hand was supposed to be wrapped around my shoulder lol

3rd oopsies was a few weeks ago when I went to mcdonalds. I had one of my ha's in my lap because i was driving and didn't really need both and the other was in my ear.. I guess i forgot that it was sitting in my lap and I got out of the car and it fell to the ground. I never noticed it fall and forgot about it so when I went back to my car I didn't notice it...I was freaking out and got grace to go check the parking lot and she couldn't find it anywhere. I went back to the parking lot for my own piece of mind and found it on the white parking line. It had been run over and was really dirty and kinda dented a bit and scratched..I brought it to my audi which thankfully I already had an appt for that day and she cleaned it and replaced the volume button since it was broken and it still worked! I should have gotten a lotto ticket that day:p

I did something really stupid on Sat. I decided to go outside b/c rain is coming. I had to stacked logs and cover them with tarp. I was sweating a lot so I took my aid off and decided to put it on board that was on the ground. After I was done, I grabbed the board and put it on tarp. I totally forgot and found the aid on grass. Nothing is wrong with my aid. WHEW! I was too lazy to go back the house. A big lesson learned. :lol:

BTW, very nice pic. :) You're very athletic, I see. (funny pic) :giggle:

I lost a digital HA in the late 90s when my dad mistook my CIC-HA for a piece of fat off of a hamburger (I never figured that one out either, but that's what he told me) and threw it out of the window while driving out of the window at 60 mph.

The reason why I had it out of my ear was because we had no A/C in the vehicle and all the windows were down and the wind noise was bothering me, so mom put it on the front dash.

Next thing I know, dad's flung something out of the window and mom is yelling and waving her arms at dad. Dad brings the vehicle to an immediate stop and does a U-turn in the middle of the road.

Needless to say we never found it, then of course, I was the one blamed for it because everyone in my hearing family said it was my fault for not having it in my ear like it was supposed to be. I couldn't find a single sympathetic person. I wasn't the one who flung it out, I'm not the one that put it on the dash of the vehicle. I just told my mom the wind going through my HA was bothering me and I wanted to take it off until we got to our destination.

Oh well, I didn't want the damn thing anyway. They were forcing me to wear it from the time I got up until I went to bed which left my ears very sore much of the time, so it was a relief on my part that I didn't have to wear it anymore for a few weeks until a new one came in.

Now, I'm looking into wearing HAs again, this time, it is completely my choice. I won't be wearing it all the time and when my ears start to hurt, that's when they will come out.

I once wanted to merge my HAs with the clapper... I was reminded that I would not hear the beeping sound when I clapped... I said " Oh, No, I want a big light on it!!!" I was pretty young at the time. Now I am thinking a GPS might be nice with a phone app to locate my lost CI. Yep, I'm keeping my day job.

My best friend made me laugh a while ago when she said she was at a bus stop somewhere and saw a hearing aid battery on the ground and wondered for a moment if that was me who left it there. I have a habit of just leaving batteries wherever I was when exchanging dead battery for new one. I think most of my friends have one of my old batteries :)

Back