What happens when you don't know where your CI/HA is at all times....

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was working out yesterday and took off my CI to go running outside in the heat. I put it in my gym bag. After getting home from working out, I found out that my CI is not in my gym bag. The gym was closed by the time I realized it. I figured that it fell out in the gym locker that I was using and I wasn't worried about anyone stealing it. Who would steal a weird looking contraption? So I waited until the morning to get it. As I walked to the gym, I noticed that my CI was RIGHT on the grass in front of the gym. So it actually fell out of my gym bag while I was walking to my car!

So I pick it up... and this is what I see:

photo.jpg

Yep, creatures of the night chewed on it!! Just the rubber parts though. Still works fine. Ooopsss....

Maybe it's time to invest in a CI box/protector...?

And yes, I still chew on the skin around my nails. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

Share your CI/HA being damaged stories!

Damaged when I dived into a pool for a drowning child....cost of repair, $650 back then.
Damaged when flew off during an auto wreck, other drivers fault...cost of repair, $575

Yeah My hub lost his CI at McDonald area. eh NO idea if it fell off when he got out of the car or fell off inside the mcdonald. after 3 hours later, we went back to mcdonald and searched all over it. Its gone. :(

As a daily swimmer I disconnect my Implant put in the special case in my swimming bag This has been going on for 4 years. As I keep my Implant on all the time-easy to forget-say swimming. Right- replacing hardly a "wise fiscal transaction". I would notice it if disconnected at anytime-silence. Seems hard to "miss".

Return to being bilateral DEAF.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
i have a box in my work pocketbag. once in a while I didn't go back to the pocketbag so i put it on the computer.. sometimes some strange place that i cant remember. i haven't lose my own HA. *knock on wood*

I think rubber/silicon is the next best thing for a pest lure!!!

I didn't lose it, but I did manage to drop a hearing aid in the only cup of water for miles around while changing a battery.

I was quick to get it out, but it didn't work after that. Lucky it was at the end of it's life anyway.

I had a HA that was designed so I did not have to put an ear mold in my right ear. I was taking Finlay out one winter in field behind my home and when I when to pull my jacket hood up my HA when flying off into snow which was 3 feet deep in some places! I never found my HA! I tried it to find when the snow was gone but it lost!
Another time I took a nap on the couch and took my HA out and left it on the coffee table, when I woke up my HA was gone!! And I am thinking WTF , I knew I was getting forgetful but not that bad. I looked everywhere , I found it on Finlay's blanket ! He was keeping it safe for me! Finlay picked up my HA with the battery door open and carried it over to blanket and laid down beside it! There was not one tooth mark on my HA!! Finlay was very careful with it! Man I
do I miss my dog like HELL!

One of my cats loves my hearing aids. I can never leave them out, they always have to be in a box -- so I have a couple of boxes around my apt. so I'm never far from one.

But, one night I was tired and I took them out and put them on the table without thinking about it. I got up for just a few seconds, came back, one of my hearing aids is gone!

I woke up fast. Looked everywhere for that hearing aid, scolded the cat, that didn't help. He had hidden it very well. Next morning I look again, luckily I found it in one of his "hiding places."

It still worked, didn't even have teeth marks on it. I was lucky.

One of my cats loves my hearing aids. I can never leave them out, they always have to be in a box -- so I have a couple of boxes around my apt. so I'm never far from one.

But, one night I was tired and I took them out and put them on the table without thinking about it. I got up for just a few seconds, came back, one of my hearing aids is gone!

I woke up fast. Looked everywhere for that hearing aid, scolded the cat, that didn't help. He had hidden it very well. Next morning I look again, luckily I found it in one of his "hiding places."

It still worked, didn't even have teeth marks on it. I was lucky.

After having two earmolds chewed to bits by my cat, I now put them inside my night table every night.

I didn't lose it, but I did manage to drop a hearing aid in the only cup of water for miles around while changing a battery.

I was quick to get it out, but it didn't work after that. Lucky it was at the end of it's life anyway.

I have a similar story. One night I came home feeling very sick. I heated up a can of chicken soup. My HA fell out of my ear into the bowl of hot soup!*

Now I felt even sicker.

I turned off the HA immediately. Took out the battery and put it into one of those jars with silicone beads. (I didn't have my Dry & Store yet.)

I took it to the audiologist the next day and she was able to finish drying it out with her equipment.

It still worked. That was really lucky, because I had switched careers and started over on the pay scale and I would NOT have been able to replace it.

* A big BTE with a big skeleton type ear mold designed to stay in my ear -- it still fell out! :eek3:

Yikes. those things are pretty expensive, aren't they?

Very.

You can get stand alone hearing aid insurance for them -- some policies will cover loss, not just repairs. I think as soon as you use it the companies send you a letter threatening to drop you from their policy though!

Also, I think it may be possible to add them on to home owner's or apt. renter's insurance.

ETA:
I used that insurance policy when I accidentally left an hearing aid in a shirt pocket and dropped it into the laundry. 45 minutes later I had one very clean and very broken hearing aid.

The policies can be expensive though. Depending on circumstances, sometimes I opt for the policy of being very, very, very, very, very overly careful instead. :eek3:

I was working out yesterday and took off my CI to go running outside in the heat. I put it in my gym bag. After getting home from working out, I found out that my CI is not in my gym bag. The gym was closed by the time I realized it. I figured that it fell out in the gym locker that I was using and I wasn't worried about anyone stealing it. Who would steal a weird looking contraption? So I waited until the morning to get it. As I walked to the gym, I noticed that my CI was RIGHT on the grass in front of the gym. So it actually fell out of my gym bag while I was walking to my car!

So I pick it up... and this is what I see:

photo.jpg

Yep, creatures of the night chewed on it!! Just the rubber parts though. Still works fine. Ooopsss....

Maybe it's time to invest in a CI box/protector...?

And yes, I still chew on the skin around my nails. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

Share your CI/HA being damaged stories!

That's an amazing story!

I can't believe that your CI stayed in the same spot all night and didn't end up becoming part of a bird's or squirrel's nest! r some little kids' collection.

Glad you found it and that it still works!

Yikes. those things are pretty expensive, aren't they?

Yup very expensive!!

I knew someone that had a dog the bite into her HA and the insurance would cover the damage!
I go nut looking for my HA when I misplace it! I do not want Marty to find it before I do!

Last edited:
Well - my HA's (ITE's) met an untimely demise and were never replaced. I lost the rest of my hearing shortly after it.

I was at work, and both batteries need to be replaced. I spread out the cloth I always use on my desk, got the batteries changed and when I changed batteries, I always changed wax guards, so as I was doing that, I managed to drop the HA's. I hollered out for people to not come into my office. A few came to the door and asked what happened. As I was explaining, I put down one foot and moved my desk chair backwards. I managed to step on one and smashed it to smithereens and then rolled over the other smashing it as well. I had just had them serviced and they are approximately $2400 each.

Back