What did you do today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked online for a new motor for my central air conditioner. I can't believe after only being 5 years old, and only run maybe 10 times per summer, that it burned out !!! Found one for $175; the guys are on their way to get it. Hopefully it's an easy-enough repair.

Wow. The ReStore had prisoners working in the back. I donated enough to fill their back room up and some more.

Now.... Drinking a frozen mocha latte and giving my back a break....

Looked online for a new motor for my central air conditioner. I can't believe after only being 5 years old, and only run maybe 10 times per summer, that it burned out !!! Found one for $175; the guys are on their way to get it. Hopefully it's an easy-enough repair.

It should...take the top cover off and unmount the old motor and replace with a new one with the same wiring connections and test run it and there it goes.

Our A/C died a couple of summers ago. It wasn't the motor though. Our kind, elderly neighbor who had been cutting our front lawn (since I was always a the hospital/rehab facility with my husband) had weed-whacked the wire. Though I'm a renter (and therefore it was probably the landlords responsibility to pay for the repair ... and get reimbursed from my neighbor) I paid the bill and did not tell my neighbor what happened. However, if it happened again....

When we were re-evaluating this (in part of jotting down all the model #s, voltage, amps, etc.) we actually discovered that 2 wires were chewed cleanly through inside the unit. Stupid mice.. :lol: So this is likely more the problem than the motor is at all. The guys ended up not buying the motor just yet.

When we were re-evaluating this (in part of jotting down all the model #s, voltage, amps, etc.) we actually discovered that 2 wires were chewed cleanly through inside the unit. Stupid mice.. :lol: So this is likely more the problem than the motor is at all. The guys ended up not buying the motor just yet.

90%+ of AC problems can be diagnosed by making simple voltage readings. The trick is in knowing what the correct levels should be for which circuits, etc. The motor could still be burned out as a result of the chewed wires, but definitely start with the wires first. Good thing you've got handy men around! HVAC repair guys make a fortune where I am from in CA (90-100+ avg. temp May-September), and it's really not all that complicated of a gig.

90%+ of AC problems can be diagnosed by making simple voltage readings. The trick is in knowing what the correct levels should be for which circuits, etc. The motor could still be burned out as a result of the chewed wires, but definitely start with the wires first. Good thing you've got handy men around! HVAC repair guys make a fortune where I am from in CA (90-100+ avg. temp May-September), and it's really not all that complicated of a gig.

I am thankful for handy guys !! :lol:

How do I do voltage readings?

I downloaded jumi app on my iphone and software on my computer. It is awesome app..I gotta thank my buddies about the software program.. jumi app is a remote to computer via iphone, ipod, or ipad. COOL! :cool2:

I am thankful for handy guys !! :lol:

How do I do voltage readings?

You need a voltage reader. If your guys are really handy, they should have one :) But then, I honestly am not good with AC units (I am champ with gas heaters though...). I'm sure you can find tables and stuff on the internet if you need.

Ask Dixie. :giggle:

LOL! Poor Dixie, I bet if I put my voltage reader prongs in either of her ears, it would read 120V! (that's a lot). :)

You need a voltage reader. If your guys are really handy, they should have one :) But then, I honestly am not good with AC units (I am champ with gas heaters though...). I'm sure you can find tables and stuff on the internet if you need.

Then I'm guessing they've got a voltage reader :) They went home for the night. They'll be back tomorrow. Thanks hon :)

I worked, had a bad day, talked to a friend, practiced softball with my DD and I would have gone to bed but then I realized I hadn't eaten all day, so I ate leftovers. Now I'm here.

LOL! Poor Dixie, I bet if I put my voltage reader prongs in either of her ears, it would read 120V! (that's a lot). :)

Multimeter, or a VOM. For the next time.

But your advice is solid here.

I thought you were from the bay area?

A/C work isn't brain surgery...that's for sure. I wouldn't say 90% though. Pressure readings can be a nice diagnostic tool as well.

Multimeter, or a VOM. For the next time.

But your advice is solid here.

Whatever. I haven't used mine in a few years. Voltage reader = easier for the uninitiated.

I thought you were from the bay area?

A/C work isn't brain surgery...that's for sure. I wouldn't say 90% though. Pressure readings can be a nice diagnostic tool as well.

Grew up in Sonoma County. Lived in Chico for 8 years prior to leaving for the Midwest. You should check out Chico. You'd really like it there. Bars and so much young babes.... (but there's no Hooters, unfortunately.)

Pressure readings are only useful for checking freon levels and leaks (which I concede are fairly common). Trust me, 90% or more can be diagnosed with the...okay, PFH... multimeter.

I should add: a lot can also be diagnosed with just plain eyesight and a good ear (which I don't have...)

So far today, I have done usual chores, taken MIL her clean clothes and such, picked up mother's medicine from the pharmacy and read a book.

I went to lunch at Fazoli's with my daughter, granddaughters, and my husband. Had my hair cut for summer. Ordered a gift sent to my husband's mother for her birthday, and now am just sitting here with fans blowing and talking to you. :)

I went to lunch at Fazoli's with my daughter, granddaughters, and my husband. Had my hair cut for summer. Ordered a gift sent to my husband's mother for her birthday, and now am just sitting here with fans blowing and talking to you. :)
:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back