What caused your deafness/hearing loss?

My mother had German Measles during the 2nd month of pregnancy with me (I was born with 2 heart defects because of it - one has been repaired when I was a month old and the other one closed up by itself), but I didn't go deaf until I had spinal meningitis on October 1972 (a month before my 2nd birthday)...6 months later, my parents found out about my hearing. They took me to get my hearing tested after I didn't respond to them when they tried to call my name, and I could only say 1 or 2 words at age 2 (most 2 year olds can say simple sentences).....that's how they found out something's wrong.

My deafness was not genetic. In fact, I was born hearing and became deaf at 5 to 6 months old. It was caused by Rubella when mother was pregnant with me.

Now a doctor doesn't think my deafness was caused by Rubella and wanted to delve further into it and find the actual cause. :roll:

Mine is a lot different than everyone else's that I have read in these 3 pages of posts. My parents went to Africa in the summer of '81. My mom was taking medicines to prevent from getting malaria. As soon as she realized she was preg then she stopped taking it. But it had already completely damaged my right ear (off the charts.. they cant even get a db for it) and left ear is mild hearing loss (would have been worse if she hadnt stopped when she did).

My parents didnt know I was deaf until I was like 3. Mom began to notice my sister always ran to the door to greet daddy when he got home from work cuz she heard his truck. I never knew he was there until he came in the room. Also, she dropped some pans by accident and I didnt even flinch.

I was born hearing until I was 18 months old, I was sick really bad and went to the hospital...found out that I had spinal mengisitis.

I do have two cousins that are deaf...so far I know for now.

I have Neurofibromatosis 2 and a brain tumor (Acoustic Neuroma) caused single sided deafness on my left when I was 17 and one grew and took out my right at 21.

No one know if I am deaf or hearing when I born. I born with a high fever and stayed in ICU... in approx two months later, my parents & doctors found out that I am deaf.

I became Deaf at the age of 5 due to illness.....

On my medical records it says: Unknown.

Got a deaf brother (out of 4 kids, 2 are deaf and 2 are hearing) and deaf niece and we still dont know to this day why.

became deaf at age month 18 from spinal meningitis... my mom was very supportive and got involved with deaf stuff like sign language classes and always try to involve me in events and such as. my dad took a while but he accepted it too..

have several deaf distant cousins... though they are related through marriage only not blood so .. i assume im only deaf in my family and my future family probably will be hearing too.

Back