What caused your deafness/hearing loss?

LadyDuke

Reaction score
How did you become deaf/HOH or why were you born deaf/HOH?

I was born Deaf and legally blind because of the gene pool in the family. My parents are related to each other as first cousins. Yes, I'm saying my parents' marriage is couin/cousin marriage. To make matters worse, both of my grandfathers were brothers and both of my grandmothers were sisters. To simply put, a pair of brothers married a pair of sisters thus their children (my parents) are related to each other as cousins.

I have a deaf aunt and many deaf distant cousins. The family legend said my great-great (or more) grandparents were deaf. I :dunno: if my great + grandparents way back into the family generation were actually deaf. I guess I'll never know unless I resarch my ancestry. My biological mother used to tell me that my grand-uncle had 7 kids who are all deaf and didn't have hearing children.

Some of the elderly family members in my family experience eyesight problems. They are age-related, not congenitally like mine.

Last edited:
My deafness is genetic because it goes back six generations. All of my family members are deaf and we all communicate by ASL, my nephew is the only one that is hearing and mind you, he sure passes for a Deafie. My nephew signs ASL proficiently and even defends his deaf sister and brother against ignorant comments. :D

I was born profoundly deaf with unknown history. There is no one deaf in my relatives or family. My parents had no idea why i was born deaf. Look like mystery will stays for a long time.

My deafness is come from my mother's Rubella during 7th month pregnant. I know pretty late for me to have that in 1972 after the shot invented (compare to many Rubella kids come out in mid of 60's). My grandma is the first person who suspect about my Deafness. How?? She shouted my name and talk talk to her while I didn't pay attention. She thought I ingored her by voice. Even she drop cooking pans on the floor loudly. I was not scare and not move much. Bother her for weeks, she decided take me to doctor office. He confirmed that I am Deaf. Of course, my grandmother (my legal guardianship) cried alot and took lot of time to accept the fact. Believe it or not, she did massive to find school with special program for Deaf students. That why I started attend school at age 2 instead of 4 or later.

Look like I am the only one is DEAF in my family. (both my parents' sides).

Last edited:
I born profoundly Deaf because I am third generation Deaf family. My Dad is Deaf as for my Mom was hearing. Rest of my silings are hearing. Is not it strange ?

Wonder if my children's children or Grandchildren will be forth generation Deaf ??

i was born deaf due to Rubella/Geman Measles -- mom contracted Rubella during her third trimester and when i arrived and my parents found out i am deaf 3 days after my birth then my mom took it upon herself to do some research on how best to communicate with a deaf child (this being in the late 60s to early 70s) and in the end she chose to go to Gally to take some non credit signing classes with my hearing sister (then age 5) and her older sister (my aunt) along with my grandma (mom's mom)

Originally posted by Sabrina
I born profoundly Deaf because I am third generation Deaf family. My Dad is Deaf as for my Mom was hearing. Rest of my silings are hearing. Is not it strange ?

Wonder if my children's children or Grandchildren will be forth generation Deaf ??
No it isn't strange. In fact, i am the only deaf person in the entire family as today. My great-great grandfather was deaf, but he died before I was born...that was like a hundred years ago or so.

I lost mine to Spinal Meningitis.

No other deaf person in my entire family unless you want to count some of the older people who goes HoH.

My deafness was caused by my missing a part of my 18th chromosome. As a result I don't have earcanals,(a condition called atresia) or eardrums and the bones of my middle ears are fused together. I could if I wanted to, undergo surgery to become hearing, but I underwent that surgery way back in high school, and it just took too much out of me both emoitionally and physcially. Also the surgery is very iffy...they've had VERY varied results with the surgery. Some people become hearing, some just downgrade from a BCHA (bone conduction aid) to a BTE or from a BTE to an ITE..some go profoundly deaf, some have facial parlysis etc.
Frankly if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't choose to undergo the surgery. I aquired tinitus from the surgery and I also hate the feeling of earwax moving around in my ears! It is a PAIN!!! I also cannot jump into the water and go swimming like I used to back in the old days...have to wear earplugs :(
I am the only one in my immediate family who is hard of hearing, although my dad's cousin is deaf and Deaf (rubella probaly) She went to Clarke way back when!!!!

I was born hearing... till i was 18 month old, i became deaf.... and my parents told me that i was became really sick.. and i lose my hearing ... i am the only person in my family who are deaf in my entire family... i wish i have some deaf couins or aunts or uncles so i can talk to them too...

I was born hearing until 18 months old I got Spinal Meningitis and became deaf by 2 years old... I am the only deaf person in my family :D

I born profound deaf, no one knows. I am only one deaf in my entire family so there is gene on my dad's side that has been happens in hundred years ago. One of my 2nd cousin has 6 fingers on left hand.... there is very odd! :D Good luck ;)

born deaf by rubella and i am also half blind too, my mom found out at 18 weeks and so since then, i been deaf all my life and mom took SEE classes ( and TC =total communications) SO since then im here and all that :)

I was born hearing but became deaf due to a common childhood illness. My real mom didn't take care of me properly and it got worse. That's how I became deaf.

genetics.. im a 3rd generation Deafie in my family.. But like Sabrina, my dad is deaf and my mom is not - nor is my sister. In addition to it being genetic, its progressive - we dont go completley deaf till much later in life. Grandpa was 10, dad was 15, Uncle was 16-17, and me, im not yet completely deaf but when i was 17 they called me "officially profoundly deaf." :)

I am only deaf in my family. It was none of sickness when I was born. I am profoundly deaf. Its a mystery. In my generation, none of them are deaf. so, Just being a mystery for long time.

i was born hearing myself til i was becoming one years old i got bad high fever over 103 temper and should die myself but got safe from dr give me something that keep me alive for 5 months and later on i just got my both eardrum have been tored and burn down i cant really spell right start with h something or m i am not sure which most i lost on left ear is low rating sound than right ear that i can hear ohh well i live with it and i am proud to be deaf anyway i am second deaf person family and now got three deaf in family anyway take care

Yes, I'm saying my parents' marriage is couin/cousin marriage.
Lady Duke, it's not that big of a deal.....a hundred years ago EVERYONE married their cousins.

Back