What are you thinking about? Part VIII

The old days were better I feel DD. Like the 70's. The ladies would be baking pies while the men would be out hunting deer, elk or birds. You come home and she cracks a beer for you. :afro:

The old days were better I feel DD. Like the 70's. The ladies would be baking pies while the men would be out hunting deer, elk or birds. You come home and she cracks a beer for you. :afro:
Ha, not this lady of the 70's. I was in the Navy then, and not baking any pies. Hubby was in the Navy too, and not out hunting during that time, and we're not beer drinkers.

Man, you don't stereotype much, do you?

:lol:

Well it was different in the Pacific Northwest then. You drank Olympia or Rainier beer. Rainier always had good commercials.

Old days were better? For whom exactly? The male? While the woman had less freedom and choices than they do now?

My aunt wanted to be an engineer (or study it)- granted this was the 1950s... but she was told she couldn't. That ideal persisted straight through her entire career. She was put down often where she worked - one of very few women (I suspect only woman on her team....) in a more male dominated arena.

She'd have fared much better in the 2000s onwards (she retired- or rather was forced out and forced to retire early in 2001 I think)

Old days were better? For whom exactly? The male? While the woman had less freedom and choices than they do now?

My aunt wanted to be an engineer (or study it)- granted this was the 1950s... but she was told she couldn't. That ideal persisted straight through her entire career. She was put down often where she worked - one of very few women (I suspect only woman on her team....) in a more male dominated arena.

She'd have fared much better in the 2000s onwards (she retired- or rather was forced out and forced to retire early in 2001 I think)
Did she ever get to become an engineer?

The 70's had guys like Evel Knievel and Roger Staubach. Staubach served in the Navy like Reba and then became a Hall of Famer. Now worth 600 million. Evel broke every bone putting on a show for the fans. Now a bump on the head gets you into concussion protocol. Wimps. :afro:

There are some people who do want America go back to 1950s values. Me...nope. I prefer to mow the grass than fold the laundry so I do the mowing while my husband does the laundry. hahahaha

Thinking about taking a walk after church considering the "warm" weather we're having

Evel broke every bone putting on a show for the fans. Now a bump on the head gets you into concussion protocol. Wimps
Reason 1001 and 1002 on how/why the women end up mowing the lawn. :)

Last edited:
Did she ever get to become an engineer?

Sadly no.. :(. I'm not sure why. Interesting thing is that the twins- Mom went to college (nursing- she wanted to do it not because she had to or had no choice), Aunt started out doing secretarial stuff (did attend classes for that but can't remember the name of it), moved to Amtrak when they first started- she did just about every job- tickets, track work (signaling mostly- most women then wouldn't do that), Manager in a major department within Amtrak. She doesn't regret her life but I think she does regret not pushing for what she wanted at 18-25.

The 70's had guys like Evel Knievel and Roger Staubach. Staubach served in the Navy like Reba and then became a Hall of Famer. Now worth 600 million. Evel broke every bone putting on a show for the fans. Now a bump on the head gets you into concussion protocol. Wimps. :afro:

Wimps... tell that to those who do suffer the medical effects of concussions... and multiple concussions. Yeah... You can keep your "old fashioned stereotypical days" :afro:. Happily there are less and less people who wants America in '1950s-1970s' mode. There is no such thing as glory days, America has always been a good country- no need to "Make it Great Again" Pfft. Time moves on.

There are some people who do want America go back to 1950s values. Me...nope. I prefer to mow the grass than fold the laundry so I do the mowing while my husband does the laundry. hahahaha

Yep... lol... here... Mom does the cooking, Dad does the cleaning up of dishes. He has also been known to vacuum. It works for them. Sharing of chores etc regardless of gender roles works- She does the finances more than Dad too. Mom has done her share of mowing but doesn't anymore. My sister has though. I'm one who likes doing laundry lol.

I like how they settled stuff back then. For example my grandpa knocking out a young man that got up in his face on the logging site. Bam! Right to sleep. Helped him up and then they all went to the bar. Gramps didn't even fire him. That kid learned his lesson about messing with an old logger. :afro:

Well the electric start has helped the ladies start the mower. I guess as long as they keep the lines straight and watch for rocks then all is well. :afro:

Back