What are you thinking about? Part VIII

I am thinking about all the dogs showing here looking for a forever home.

How I wish I could adopt all of them . :(

My daughters ex boyfriend came from Germany to visit his family. He came over our place with a friend and spent about four hours going through all the stuff he and my daughter have stored in one of our bedrooms. I was amazed that he has already picked up a strong accent. I really like this guy, so handsome and sad to say goodbye. Probably never see him again. It's nice to know he is finally happy again and enjoying living in Germany.

I have thought of removing mine... As I understand it, by removing it, it can cause the room to be brighter... But I do not know the first thing about it besides it being a very messy project :) wish you luck on this endeavor

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I learned from my friends on FB that popcorn ceiling can contain absestos. Before you remove it, send a sample to your city's health and environment agency for it to be tested. From my understanding, it is easy to remove it. Just spray warm water mixed with vinegar, let it soak for 2 to 5 mins, and scrape away. There are several YouTube tutorials.

Ewwww painful and costly ya gone out of old year with pop and bang

My hubby and I replastered the ceiling yesterday. Today it is dried and ready to be sanded. Hope we do a good job in making it smooth. Ugh

I learned from my friends on FB that popcorn ceiling can contain absestos. Before you remove it, send a sample to your city's health and environment agency for it to be tested. From my understanding, it is easy to remove it. Just spray warm water mixed with vinegar, let it soak for 2 to 5 mins, and scrape away. There are several YouTube tutorials.

Thanks for the heads up... Never heard of that before.

Thanks for the heads up... Never heard of that before.

Yea, I didnt know so my friend and I went ahead and removed it and I posted our work on FB. That was when my friends warned me about the asbestos and I was like, "oops" but then when the plaster started falling off from the damaged area, I learned that it wasnt popcorn ceiling but textured plaster. Doesn't contain asbestos. Whew!

I am thinking about getting a Mac laptop not sure which one . The Mac Air book or Mac Pro , decisions , decisions !

Yea, I didnt know so my friend and I went ahead and removed it and I posted our work on FB. That was when my friends warned me about the asbestos and I was like, "oops" but then when the plaster started falling off from the damaged area, I learned that it wasnt popcorn ceiling but textured plaster. Doesn't contain asbestos. Whew!

Good on one hand... Not so good on the other...

That is not the only construction product that can contain it. Anyone else also remember V-A floor tile from mainly the 1950's and '60s although there was still some made later than that.? V-A stands for vinyl asbestos!

Formaldehyde is another product that can cause problems. I think it has shown up the most in paneling.

Formaldehyde is another product that can cause problems. I think it has shown up the most in paneling.

And in carpeting.

Boy, I've sure learned a lot over the years as a homeowner, and doing remodeling (some tear-downs and some from scratch like in a new home), plus having a real estate license that makes me learn about houses! :)

And in carpeting.

Boy, I've sure learned a lot over the years as a homeowner, and doing remodeling (some tear-downs and some from scratch like in a new home), plus having a real estate license that makes me learn about houses! :)

Mine comes from something similar — being bookkeeper for a group of construction / real estate companies controlled by the same people. And then owning my own home.

I didn't know you had the real estate license, AC. My mom started to get hers many years ago when she was doing a few part-time things to try to get some insurance when I was a kid. Don't think my dad's jobs offered it. She had a good friend who was a realtor and I remember her going to some classes, but dont think she ever finished.

Jane, my MIL was the bookkkeper for her church for most of her life, I remember how much work she put into it.

I didn't know you had the real estate license, AC. My mom started to get hers many years ago when she was doing a few part-time things to try to get some insurance when I was a kid. Don't think my dad's jobs offered it. She had a good friend who was a realtor and I remember her going to some classes, but dont think she ever finished.

Jane, my MIL was the bookkkeper for her church for most of her life, I remember how much work she put into it.

I no longer do. I had my license for years back in the early 2000's. I got bored with the sheer volume of paperwork and legalities. The showing of houses and listing them was like only 10% of the time, the other 90% was all paperwork. And BORED me. :) So it was a nice side profession for a while but I've stuck with the same graphic design as I always have. But the upside is I learned a lot about houses (especially from inspections, being up-to-code, testing -- like well water, radon, etc. standpoints) so it wasn't for nothing.

I didn't know you had the real estate license, AC. My mom started to get hers many years ago when she was doing a few part-time things to try to get some insurance when I was a kid. Don't think my dad's jobs offered it. She had a good friend who was a realtor and I remember her going to some classes, but don't think she ever finished.

Jane, my MIL was the bookkeeper for her church for most of her life, I remember how much work she put into it.

How did she feel about anticipating the holidays. I eventually had a mixed reaction to them coming because of all the end of January government reports. Thankfully the few years that I had just over 100 W-2s came after the payroll was on a computer. We didn't have that many regular employees but even the guys that had been called in for 4 hours one day got a W-2 that had the same number of boxes to be filled in as someone working full time!

I can imagine the paperwork, AC!
I know how much we learned about houses just buying and selling both for the first time and this last time <when we moved in '12 to where we are now> so there much be so much more you learn when you're doing real estate and yeah we had to learn about radon too with this last move:|

Jane, I'm not sure, she was a pretty private person - both his parents were- and religion wasn't something his parents and I had in common.
I do know she did stuff by hand. We went to the church for each parent's funeral. It was a tiny, very rural church <very typical "Normal Rockwell/Middle America" image> in the middle of a rural county so maybe doing by hand wasn't a huge project-

Jane, I'm not sure, she was a pretty private person - both his parents were- and religion wasn't something his parents and I had in common.
I do know she did stuff by hand. We went to the church for each parent's funeral. It was a tiny, very rural church <very typical "Normal Rockwell/Middle America" image> in the middle of a rural county so maybe doing by hand wasn't a huge project-

I wasn't thinking in terms of the religious aspect but the deadlines that are part of the bookkeeping. Knowing that those deadlines follow right after the Christmas/New Years holidays can kinda overshadow the celebrations.

oh I know I guess I related it to that because the church book keeping is part of the overall subject of "church".

She and I didn't talk much. Most of what we talked about was relatring to something she may have been doing in the kitchen at the time, as she was an excellent cook/baker, enjoyed doing it and easily made complex meals. Usually when we were over his parent's house she would be in the kitchen getting together<or cleaning up from> a snack or a meal and she had a ton of spices and recipes and cook books.
Their other big topics of conversation were home improvement projects <they -both parents - built the home from scratch on a road which they also named, and they lived there until they died> and later the grandkids <my hub's sister and her partner's children>

His parents were very hard to get to know, could be perceived as "cold" to some.

I can imagine though the doing books could certainly be a complicated or tedious process, especially around Dec. holidays

Back