What are you thinking about? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about my 4-day weekend coming up. Will spend 3 days riding the rails with fellow train enthusiasts (and still sleep in my own bed each night). Fourth day is for resting up from the other 3 days, Dr appts & get stuff done that was neglected over the weekend.

Thinking about my 3yr old. She had a hard time sleeping here without her sister. She woke up crying and I held her. She calmed down real quick. Can't say that I miss the crying, but I do miss not being there all the time for my girls when they need someone.

And thinking about that strawberry ice cream in the freezer.

Wirelessly posted

Mio Amor and me are happy the Patriots won and gnats lose :)

I was just at this piercing place asking questions about getting my daughter's ear pierced. After talking to him for a few minutes he says "Are you reading my lips?" My hair's down so you can't see my aids, I was really surprised. I've never had anyone notice before, or least ask me about it. He wasn't rude about it or anything, was really cool actually.....

But now I'm thinking.....is it that obvious. Not that I care, I usually make an I'm deaf announcement after a couple minutes of talking to someone new.

Im also thinking Im never posting w/my phone again, it's helping me type and it's stoooopid.

But now I'm thinking.....is it that obvious. Not that I care, I usually make an I'm deaf announcement after a couple minutes of talking to someone new.

As a born HoH I don't bother announcing my hearing impairment issue because I've noticed through trial and error that communication is better if I don't make it real obvious. I only make a note if they start talking really fast or covering their mouth or whatever. The problem is that sometimes if I announce it first then despite their good intentions they start talking really slow or assume I can't communicate at all. I prefer the surprise approach and I've even had people who are amazed at my hearing loss.

I'm thinking about my bills. I have a bill of $3, 995 balance for my hearing aids and now I just received another bill this weekend for $405. I thought it'd be a great idea to save money see an eye doctor rather than pay Lenscrafters for the eye exam. Got the bill with a note saying my insurance didn't cover it. No surprises really, federal health coverage covers nothing.....

Laura

I'm thinking about my bills. I have a bill of $3, 995 balance for my hearing aids and now I just received another bill this weekend for $405. I thought it'd be a great idea to save money see an eye doctor rather than pay Lenscrafters for the eye exam. Got the bill with a note saying my insurance didn't cover it. No surprises really, federal health coverage covers nothing.....

Laura

thats when i thankfull i got nhs

Thinking my puppy is weird. She just came in from the backyard carrying a green tomato.

The vegetable garden is well fenced to keep away squirrels, rabbits, etc. But she is smart and determined!

Also thinking it is funny watching people who have given a dramatic display of poor character try to convince the world they are nice.

As a born HoH I don't bother announcing my hearing impairment issue because I've noticed through trial and error that communication is better if I don't make it real obvious. I only make a note if they start talking really fast or covering their mouth or whatever. The problem is that sometimes if I announce it first then despite their good intentions they start talking really slow or assume I can't communicate at all. I prefer the surprise approach and I've even had people who are amazed at my hearing loss.

I've gone this route myself. I've noticed when I tell them I don't hear well at the get go, they damn near trip me trying to run ahead of me to talk - usually yell - which only calls more attention to myself than I'd like....they always seem so blown away when they realize just how deaf I really am without my hearing aids - for example like when I run out of batteries on the job and have no choice but to say something.

Laura

I don't come right out with it ;) usually after I've had to ask "what" a couple times because they've looked away or something, then I usually say "sorry, it's not you it's me, I'm deaf and I point to my aids". If I don't say something they'll keep doing whatever it is that they're doing to make them harder to understand. I hadn't had to ask this guy to repeat himself at all, so I was all surprised he'd asked if I was reading his lips, usually I have to tell people that's what I'm doing lol. I was like whoa, how could tell? "Cause you're looking at my mouth". Glad he didn't assume i wanted to kiss him!!! :giggle:

I don't come right out with it ;) I hadn't had to ask this guy to repeat himself at all, so I was all surprised he'd asked if I was reading his lips, usually I have to tell people that's what I'm doing lol. I was like whoa, how could tell? "Cause you're looking at my mouth". Glad he didn't assume i wanted to kiss him!!! :giggle:

:laugh2:

I've gone this route myself. I've noticed when I tell them I don't hear well at the get go, they damn near trip me trying to run ahead of me to talk - usually yell - which only calls more attention to myself than I'd like....they always seem so blown away when they realize just how deaf I really am without my hearing aids - for example like when I run out of batteries on the job and have no choice but to say something.

Laura

Only my mother in law has have ever yelled at me for me to hear. She was a flaming bitch though. Wait no, I had a client yell once after a couple minutes of massaging her "I LOST 25 POUNDS" holy crap she scared the shit out of me, I found out after they could hear her in the rooms adjacent to my massage room. After I tell someone they usually start looking at my mouth all intently like they're going to read mine lol which I get a kick out of. Meh, I'm not shy or embarrassed about being HoH, I'd rather they know that they need to look at me rather than having to say what every other sentence, I've only ever had people be cool about it, and I work with the public and go through this several times a day.

I'm not shy or embarrassed about being HoH, I'd rather they know that they need to look at me rather than having to say what every other sentence, I've only ever had people be cool about it, and I work with the public and go through this several times a day.

This is good to know. I don't know if the people that interviewed me at my new job are even aware of my hearing loss. I'm not sure if I heard them entirely and if they picked up on it. The background investigator knew, but they don't talk to the employers so they could be in the dark. Not sure how I want to raise the subject because people tend to judge you before seeing you at work....and I too will be working with the public....

Laura

Also thinking it is funny watching people who have given a dramatic display of poor character try to convince the world they are nice.
Same with discussing an addiction as if it was an accomplishment.

Perhaps a career in politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back