What are you thinking about? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, whole week off from work and I get to keep my youngest with me extra!

Thinking what got into me? Did KristinaB take over my body?
I just cleaned a part of my kitchen. It's not a big kitchen but I did some serious cleaning in one area. I took everything off a bookcase, moved the bookcase away from the wall and cleaned the walls & floor, put it back, cleaned it then put most of the stuff back on it. Threw some stuff out & put some stuff aside to see if my daughter wants any of it.
Now, will I feel like tackling the rest of the kitchen tomorrow (cleaning out cabinets, etc)?

We must have switched cause all I did was sit and read or knit. Took the family out later. Oh, I did walk through the house and about crapped a brick when I saw the kitchen faucet that was purchased for the house.

Wirelessly posted

I passed my phlebotomist exam!

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

I passed my phlebotomist exam!

Good for you, Rio!! Here's hoping you get a great job, and have lots of happiness!! :applause:

Thank you, hope to get an opportunity :)

Wirelessly posted

How happy I am that I have finally connected with some fellow Deafies and have made some really fast friends offline in addition to the friends I have made here on AD. Also, I am finally getting to actually use the Auslan I have been so diligently learning these past 3 years in actual conversation with someone signing back!

Last edited:
We must have switched cause all I did was sit and read or knit. Took the family out later. Oh, I did walk through the house and about crapped a brick when I saw the kitchen faucet that was purchased for the house.

How could that part I put in bold happen? Aren't you choosing what goes into your own house?

Well, I'm sure it won't take long to switch back (at least on my end). :giggle:

I want to plan do quit on my hosting serious *think* I focus on plan do soon focus on gym and and gym :) I am lots of adjust to better happy reduce! it is pretty better I am glad of instead! and go deaf community lots of people!

Thinking what a bad job someone did in installing a couple of outlets in this house. I already replaced one box & cover because it was not well attached to the wall. I've been ignoring the cable one in the kitchen (also loose). But today while cleaning I fiddled with it and the plastic "holders" behind the wall broke off. Now I need to go to the store and get a something better to hold the outlet/cover.
Of course, if this was something that was either expensive or hard to do, I'd get my landlord to do it. I don't mind doing easy/minor repairs.

I need to pay more attention to my kitchen appliances. Last night my dishwasher got stuck on the heat/wash cycle 4 hours before I saw it was still running (yes, Justagirl, steam burns). And today, I don't know how long my oven was ready for. Usually I'm only using the oven when kids are here and they let me know when it dings.

I don't even want to think about your electric bill...lol

[/B]

How could that part I put in bold happen? Aren't you choosing what goes into your own house?

Pretty much I do get to choose, but when we are on a tight budget and cost of building materials begin to really go up, then other things have to have a smaller and smaller budget. He chose what would fit and not what I had originally chosen. My washer and dryer cost almost $1000 over what he planned on and he chose them. Also, the baseboards went from $7 a linear foot to $18 a linear foot in a month, then the tile needed for the extension is costing more than expected by about another $800.

Pretty much I do get to choose, but when we are on a tight budget and cost of building materials begin to really go up, then other things have to have a smaller and smaller budget. He chose what would fit and not what I had originally chosen. My washer and dryer cost almost $1000 over what he planned on and he chose them. Also, the baseboards went from $7 a linear foot to $18 a linear foot in a month, then the tile needed for the extension is costing more than expected by about another $800.

What you have just described is the big problem with having signed a "cost plus" contract rather than a "fixed price" one.

What he should have done is give you a selection that is in the price range that fits the budget rather him pick.

I still cannot get over that construction was even started without completed plans, contracted price (change orders listing the exact cost up or down of things to be done differently than in the original contract can be issued during the construction and signed off on by both the contractor and purchaser) and ALL permits in place!

Last edited:
I don't even want to think about your electric bill...lol

I was really surprised it's been lower. With the mild wheather, haven't had to run the AC, so making up for it with appliances!

Thinkin' abt next year I might not go to deaf reunion if I'm not available.

Thinking about applying to universities for next year and thinking of places to travel..

Thinking the Rovio game Bad Piggies has a lot more difficult physics applications than Angry Birds. And about converting our Nook Color to a full featured Android tablet.

What you have just described is the big problem with having signed a "cost plus" contract rather than a "fixed price" one.

What he should have done is give you a selection that is in the price range that fits the budget rather him pick.

I still cannot get over that construction was even started without completed plans, contracted price (change orders listing the exact cost up or down of things to be done differently than in the original contract can be issued during the construction and signed off on by both the contractor and purchaser) and ALL permits in place!

Okay - we did have completed plans, we did have a contracted price and in our little town, you get the permits as the job comes up, not all at once. IT took forever just to get the building permit due to a jerkwad of an inspector who did not know of all the requirements as he was from Central Florida and not here. We now have a local inspector who has been with this county for 27 years. We have had no issues with ANY inspections or permits since we got the building permit.

Now, the contracted price was a ballpark figure based on the expected amount we would have, we did not get what we were told we would. Also, the original contracted price was done about 6-10 months before the building permit was finally issued and the cost of materials has gone up and up and up. I did give him 3 different specs on faucets in the price range he gave me. Between the time I got the price range and now, he got the paint, which was more than expected. Home Depot raised the prices again. Now, the hanging light over my sink is larger than expected and cost the same as the one I chose, but provides much more light. My refrigerator is bigger than originally planned. I though I was getting a 20 cubit foot and it's going to be 25 cubit foot. The tile is turning out to be more than expected since it is a special order. Our windows were much, much more than expected since in the beginning we did not know we had to have more than noise reduction. So, our windows (7) were roughly $800-$1000 a piece and they are much safe and much better than originally planned.

The other reason we did not have the money we thought we would have is that MIL told me to use the money for certain things that the contractor was not planning on. Also, the extension was not in the original plans as we were not told until the last minute that we had to have a minimum sq footage of 1750 sq ft. We had 1344 originally. My original back patio had to be closed in and that extension cost an additional $8000.

Wirelessly posted

Today's , Restless_Heart birthday what would have been her 44th I believe. Go Patriots!

I am thinking about my day. Been getting a lot of rest because this upcoming week is going to be hectic for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back