What are you thinking about? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner don't really "bounce" off the chin, it's more like a small circular motion just beneath your chin. I should add that everyone has their own personal signing style, but generally speaking those signs don't "bounce" or physically come off the chin (unless you're signing "eat-morning" etc.).

I'm sorry but that's totally wrong. They do bounce off the chin. It is not circular or beneath the chin. Please look those up online so you can see for yourself.

I'm sorry but that's totally wrong. They do bounce off the chin. It is not circular or beneath the chin. Please look those up online so you can see for yourself.
Exactly. I don't use the b or the d handshape most of the time. I just use eat sign and sometimes morning and night time.. I learned this one at VSDB.

Exactly. I don't use the b or the d handshape most of the time. I just use eat sign and sometimes morning and night time.. I learned this one at VSDB.

I use the B,L and D on the chin. For meal times. :)

Right. Same here. I have never seen anyone use circular motions to sign Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. It slightly bounce off the chin.

Exactly. I don't use the b or the d handshape most of the time. I just use eat sign and sometimes morning and night time...

That's what I use too (eat and morning, eat and noon, eat and evening.) I do, however, see many others do the initialized B, L, D. That's ok too, but we know it does bounce off the chin.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but you're totally wrong. Please re-read my post and refer below:

"This initialized version uses a very small rotational motion.* Somewhat like eating a bowl of soup that you are holding a few inches away from your mouth.* I don't actually touch my lips or mouth while making this sign.* There is a variation of this sign that taps the chin and lips with the index finger side of the right "b-hand.""

"breakfast" American Sign Language (ASL)

I'm sorry, but you're totally wrong. Please re-read my post and refer below:

"This initialized version uses a very small rotational motion.*Somewhat like eating a bowl of soup that you are holding a few inches away from your mouth.*I don't actually touch my lips or mouth while making this sign.* There is a variation of this sign that taps the chin and lips with the index finger side of the right "b-hand.""

The "tap the chin" is essentially the same as "bounce".

But, it's not so nice of you to tell someone (and actually, several of us who replied to this) who have been signing for some 40+ years that we don't know what we're talking about.

Last edited:
Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner don't really "bounce" off the chin, it's more like a small circular motion just beneath your chin. I should add that everyone has their own personal signing style, but generally speaking those signs don't "bounce" or physically come off the chin (unless you're signing "eat-morning" etc.).

I didnt see this until another ADer quoted this. I work and live in a predominately Deaf community..one of the biggest in this country and I have been involved with many Deaf culture events from Deaf Way II to Deaf Expos. I have never seen anyone sign them in a circular motion. Whoever gave you that information is wrong.

If I am being lazy, I will sign breakfast with the "B" handshape bouncing off my chin. Same with lunch and dinner. Never once in a circular motion.

I agree, Shel. If no one in the Deaf community is using a circular motion, then I don't think Angel should have been corrected for the "bounce" off the chin, as that was indeed correct in the first place (for those using the B, L, D).

More than pretty sure she is...so is Breakfast a B in the middle of the chin and bitch on the side of the chin?.....There's no telling what I've been signing to some of my deafie friends....:giggle:

:lol:

The bitch is actually in the middle.

One thing I taught my SO is that all male signs are on the top of the face (e.g. father, dad, uncle, grandpa, brother, boy, etc.) and vice versa, all female signs are on the bottom part of the face. Hope that helps you for another time :)

I have never seen the sign for breakfast, lunch, or dinner signed in a circular fashion. And yes, I did go to Gallaudet University.

Either, I will say, "eat", or If I want to be specific I will either finger spell "lunch". or I might use the letter initialize and bounce or tap my chin.

I rarely say "eat" with "morning", "noon", "evening" sign. That's just me I guess. now that I think about it a bit more. I might sign to my gf "eat, tonight, want, question" - What do you want to eat for dinner? Or if I am on a more SEE kick (it's hard not to when the gf uses SEE everyday) I might sign, "what, you, want, eat, dinner, tonight, question" Slowly I am converting her signing to more ASL... slowly...

I strongly suggest anyone learning ASL to avoid using a circular motion with this concept. You will look goofy to any native ASL users.

circular? i not see man in website CSign provide use circular sign. :dunno: but it not right hearing act know all and try correct Deaf.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't use "tap the chin" instead of "bounce" which essentially means the SAME THING. :roll:

Nice of you to tell someone (and actually, several of us who replied to this) who have been signing for some 40+ years that we don't know what we're talking about.

I invite you to go to any deaf club and ask WHO on earth uses a circular motion. I bet you can't find one.

It seems pretty clear you are looking for a fight and I'm not interested.

I will say though, I find your statement to be inflammatory. If you went back and re-read my post, you
would have taken note of the fact that I was referring specifically to the initialized signs in SEE.

I responded to you in the same manner in which you addressed me. I find it interesting that you're
trying to twist my comment as if it was a correction to you and those that responded. As I was
perfectly clear I wasn't referring to the true ASL signs for "breakfast, lunch, and dinner".

I also find it interesting that you bolded another portion of what I quoted, which wasn't what I was
referencing.

When I said "I'm sorry, but you're totally wrong" I was referring specifically to the fact that the
initialized signs in SEE are in fact a circular motion. I even pulled a quote and bolded the reference
from Lifeprint for easy viewing. That is what I was referring to- not whether or not it "taps" or
"bounces" off the chin.

Angle is learning how to sign. She was taught the initialized signs, and I was clarifying for her that the
initialized sign is a circular motion. I did not reccomend anyone use the initialized sign, people can use what they wish. Given that it seems Angle is still in the early stages, I was clarifying for her- not correcting you or any other posters.

I'd appreciate you not Twisting my comments into an insult to the Deaf posters who responded- as there were no insults or corrections to the way those are signed in ASL.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read what I wrote for what it is, rather than what you want it to be. :ty:

Last edited:
Angle is learning how to sign. She was taught the initialized signs, and I was clarifying for her that the initialized sign is a circular motion. I did not reccomend anyone use the initialized sign, people can use what they wish. Given that it seems Angle is still in the early stages, I was clarifying for her- not correcting you or any other posters.

That is where the problem lies. It is NOT a circular motion. Are you purposely ignoring every single post above yours here that has affirmed what I have written? You are teaching her something wrong. I did not say you are correcting us. You are incorrectly correcting Angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back