What are you doing right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's not even close to sarcasm.

let me explain something to you - being funny is something that can be learned and developed. knock knock, who's on first, yo mama, that's what she said, etc... those can be easily learned and expressed.

but being sarcastic... it's a whole another different level. in most cases when trying to be sarcastic, it usually backfires. it's usually best to not try to be sarcastic if you don't know how to be sarcastic in the first place because it can easily make you look like an offensive asshole.

sarcasm is something that cannot be taught. it's not surprising that many people do not know how to detect or express it. it's actually a social phenomenon that was recently scientifically explained and published only several years ago. it requires a very sophisticated understanding and many processes in different parts of brain.

A person with certain brain damage or certain mental illness or certain emotional intelligence would usually not be able to detect nor express sarcasm - usually but not always. everybody can laugh, smile, cry, complain, etc. sarcasm is... much more complicated than these actions. it encompasses everything at a very subtle level.

notsureifserious.jpg

I've noticed that you take everything quite literally and seriously. A sense of humor is something you can practice and learn... no problem but sarcasm... yea don't even try.

Why do you think I've been working on recognizing that? You see, when I acted, sarcasm was always there, and I was pretty darn good at it then. Now I am trying to re-discover that "magic touch" that made me funny back then, and I've been looking for it for a while now, but not yet found it, but I feel sure that I someday will re-find that magic touch again-- question is when.

Why do you think I've been working on recognizing that? You see, when I acted, sarcasm was always there, and I was pretty darn good at it then. Now I am trying to re-discover that "magic touch" that made me funny back then, and I've been looking for it for a while now, but not yet found it, but I feel sure that I someday will re-find that magic touch again-- question is when.

Dude..... dude.... Sarcasm isn't a magic touch.... sarcasm is just something that comes.... it's always there.... Jiro, Jess, Scott, Amber, myself, Botti... oh Botti... <3, and multiple other members I haven't listed... when we're bouncing back and forth on each-other.... it's usually sarcasm... any time we throw the ball in your court you have had the thread locked or peed your pants in anger and went and what was it that time "had to try to keep yourself from breaking something?" That's not something someone who was sarcastic ever had. You don't just lose being sarcastic. You don't lose it... you never lose it or get rid of it... You're always a sarcastic ass... it's just if you know when to hide it ( when I was dating a girl and hid it meeting her parents *sometimes it still came out oh dear lord* ) or at work ( Yeah, it still comes out there all the time who am I kidding at work :roll: ) Anyway, there's no magic touch or finding it again.... it's clear you're just not the type man... you're just not... Maybe you can learn to be funny... maybe...? Maybe...? Maybe. Possibly... maybe... Maybe. Maybe.... Maybe. I'm going to keep saying maybe because you're so far away from funny I don't really see it possible but who am I to take away or say you can't dream? Anyway, but you'll never be good at sarcasm... I've seen your attempts, and I've seen how you deal with others being sarcastic... it's not there.... some people have it.... you just.... don't. You're not the sarcastic type... as Jiro said... it's brain science... it's a personality trait... not something that can be learned like a joke or a simple punch line.

There is a huge difference between talking and writing. Joking and writing has to be very clear in order to get it across.... or not, everyone has learned some tricks that work for them. I am terrible at it but what the hell I try anyway.
In real life people are smiling all the time around me. I am smiling all the time. That does not translate into my writing.
Jiro is right sarcasm is a big leap and mostly it does not sound right in writing unless it is done just right. Mostly it is a humor style that plays badly anyway written or spoken. A lot of people think they are good at it and really they suck at it.

Actually when I stop and think about it Mark you have inspired more sarcasm than I have ever seen on here. I myself don't mind. I think you are a good hearted sort trying to live life as best you can.

There is a huge difference between talking and writing. Joking and writing has to be very clear in order to get it across.... or not, everyone has learned some tricks that work for them. I am terrible at it but what the hell I try anyway.
In real life people are smiling all the time around me. I am smiling all the time. That does not translate into my writing.
Jiro is right sarcasm is a big leap and mostly it does not sound right in writing unless it is done just right. Mostly it is a humor style that plays badly anyway written or spoken. A lot of people think they are good at it and really they suck at it.

That's what all these fancy emoticons are for! :D

So mew has listed the pros in sarcasm. Interesting indeed.

I wasn't listing pros, I was just telling him he's incapable of comprehending sarcasm and definitely incapable of dishing it out.... :shock: Nobody is sarcastic to you Dreamer because you're too sweet to be sarcastic at. :P

I wasn't listing pros, I was just telling him he's incapable of comprehending sarcasm and definitely incapable of dishing it out.... :shock: Nobody is sarcastic to you Dreamer because you're too sweet to be sarcastic at. :P

You still dont meet my dark side lol... But thaNks and *hug* for saying im sweet

I willing to pay your rent if you keep your room clean. ;)

Good luck, Captain Ahab.

sarcasm is just something that people are born with... it cannot be taught. sarcasm is one of a few abilities in the world that cannot be taught.... only that it's something a person has to be born with. it's possible that you simply do not possess an ability to detect and express it. do not feel discouraged. many many many many many many many people can't either. Sarcasm is like this - many people are born either a leftie or rightie... and some people are born ambidextrous. Sarcasm is just like that. You don't just learn to be either leftie or rightie or both by choice.

Delivering a sarcasm is very complicated because since it encompasses everything... it's usually easier to express sarcasm in person because people can take a hint by looking for facial expression, tone in their voice, body language, context of conversation, the mood of conversation, etc all together.

but in internet - it is extremely difficult to detect and deliver sarcasm since we are missing out several key hints so even a fewer number of people is able to detect it. that's why people type out <s> or <sarcasm> and end with </s> or </sarcasm> for general audience... or use emoticons.

another thing - some people can detect sarcasm but cannot express it well. a poor execution. that's where it backfires on them. when delivering it wrong, people get confused and may interpret it as an insult or a rude mockery.

you have to be very crafty and know when to deliver sarcasm at right time with right wording.

Now you're getting me thinking of going to get a late-night soda somehow. I need to knock off the caffeine so I can get some normal sleep, for a change.

I understand that you were trying to be sarcastic but that post is not considered as sarcastic. It is very confusing when your intention was to be sarcastic. Your post does actually sound factual like this - "you're making me thinking of getting a soda at this hour now but... I shouldn't because I need to sleep soon."

The use of sarcasm is usually either to insult somebody at a very subtle level under guise of passive aggressiveness and frustration or to jester around with tongue-in-cheek humor to perhaps serve as an ice breaker/ice cooler... no harm done... or both.

bottom line - it's best for you to focus on humor.... not sarcasm. you simply are not born with it. plus... sarcasm is not usually nice. I don't usually like it when people are always sarcastic all the time. it's actually sad and it bothers me because it shows a serious underlying issue that needs to be addressed with a therapist.

That's what all these fancy emoticons are for! :D

They do help, I feel funny using them. Like they are girlie or something. :lol:

The dickslapher to the moon Alice!, motie is is just a little to close to violence against women for my gentle Scandinavian nature. I actually did some drawings that came out kind of comical looking.

Last edited:
I won't repeat everything that Jiro and Mew said- I agree 100% with both of them. I'm able to pick up on sarcasm (usually- I've gotten into trouble before not picking it up well online in IMs with friends lol..d'oh). They are both right though.. sarcasm (and dry wit) is something that come naturally to people. So... no.. there is no such thing as a 'magic touch' when it comes to sarcasm or any kind of play on the English language. You either have it or don't, it doesn't disappear for years then pop up again.

Mark, you are trying TOO hard- that's where everything is falling apart. Trying too hard to be sarcastic (really- that post Jiro posted with your quote- no.. that quote was not sarcasm- I did see several other great examples though), trying too hard to be "UP" (aka happy happy, joy, joy), trying too hard to get people to like you

I got drag my sad sorry arse into garden to shit shovel my cats shit...a day full of sh1t I found the person who letting dog shit outside my house...going put it in a gag and empty it outside her door

First thing you have to understand Mark, is you don't understand sarcasm. At all. So let's try to explain it. More directly than Jiro did.

First, not all joking is sarcasm. Second sarcasm isn't playful, and it usually isn't nice either.

The definition of sarcasm....
Noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Verb
feel or express contempt or derision for.

It's usually used for snarky digs.

Heading to the store to buy drinks for today and watching a tow truck hook up a van.

Well said Jiro, DeafDucky and Ambrosia!

Here's an example of sarcasm to bring the point home:

Me: Driving with skis on top of my car
Random driver next to me: "Are you going skiing?"
Me: No, I'm just leaving the skis up as a fashion statement

I read this awesome line in the book I'm reading, Infinite Jest.

"Is my tone communicating my contempt?"

Maybe I should make that my siggy.

Granted sarcasm is much more fun in person, delivered total deadpan and straight faced, but it CAN be detected in text. A font would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back