Walk4Hearing

Let's get you some rhinestones! And sweatpants! Or real diamonds, for that matter. :)
Now I'd go just to get a pic of Sonocativo in rhinestones and stretch sweatpants..... [emoji197] [emoji75] [emoji75] [emoji75] [emoji6]

Now I'd go just to get a pic of Sonocativo in rhinestones and stretch sweatpants..... [emoji197] [emoji75] [emoji75] [emoji75] [emoji6]
I dont think that'd look as good as your Elvis painting on velvet. lol

They are both things that were popular years ago. Also think back to Deafdyke's post.
Visit the hood, rhinestones and those stretch pants are still very much "in style" [emoji79] [emoji80] [emoji197]

The paintings on velvet were big in the 60's as were the blacklight posters

HLAA is totally anti ASL. Bet they don't distribute ASL info at their walks or offer free ASL classes for people with hearing loss or their families. They are Audist just like AG Bell
Anyway, enjoy you walk.

That's incorrect. They are not anti ASL. In fact, many members know ASL. They do not discourage ASL classes. On the other hand, ASL is not a requirement and is not considered a total solution. They realize that the rest of the world doesn't use ASL. So, to bridge that gap they work on communication with the rest of the world, not just people who sign.

deaf need a hybrid system. One system will not work.

HLAA is totally anti ASL. Bet they don't distribute ASL info at their walks or offer free ASL classes for people with hearing loss or their families. They are Audist just like AG Bell
Anyway, enjoy you walk.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes, they have booths for free info and products like the TTY and all the other stuff both new and old. I got them but havent gotten the products yet since Ive sold my house until I find another. Some such as soresen and others (spell?)

while some HLAA people may know ASL - when I've investigated here - they're really focused on technology and being Hearing. No mention of or interest in ASL, no one signs. The literature promotes a cure for deafness. That by default negates Deaf culture including ASL.

while some HLAA people may know ASL - when I've investigated here - they're really focused on technology and being Hearing. No mention of or interest in ASL, no one signs. The literature promotes a cure for deafness. That by default negates Deaf culture including ASL.
wrong, almost every one of the people who run those booths know ASL, and they promote ways of communications, I am no where near fluent in ASL and they were able to communicate with me through text devices/writing or the pamplets, their products are to bridge the hearing/deaf gap, and free. They also promote other help as well such as VOC Rehab, and more. Yes, there is some who run the booths that dont know ASL, but that would be discrimination to exclude them. I dont know where people get the idea that these walks are whatever they think they are. They are non profit, non discrimination on brands as they are all present, and a fun relaxed friendly atmoshere. The support group is mixed with all brands and styles from cochlear, baha, med-el, AB. We have a Terp, a person that types and projects the speakers voice on the wall, and various speakers come every months to talk about new technology, trouble shooting and other interests to the deaf community. We learn a lot from these speakers as well as doctors who come. We also learn from eachother and we share experiences with eachother. Our meets are usually held in a large conference room at the hospitals, some of us have formed smaller groups outside of the main group and meet on different days anywhere from our homes to restraunts with a more personal feel at our own expenses. We have made quite a few new friends and also made outings to places like the zoo, amusement parks...ect..

Given as big as the US is could this vary greatly from one part of the country to another? Thus, both of you reporting what is going on where you live which differs because of local interest.

I've seen the same. However, I've seen the same as what Sono posted. I think it's law of the draw - who happens to show up at the booths or walks, etc. Some do know ASL, some don't.

Having said that, basically, I am of the same opinion as most are about HLAA - that HLAA is far more focused on hearing.

Sono - not wrong, I think that Jane and AC have it - guess it -can - depend on regional variety-

wrong, almost every one of the people who run those booths know ASL, and they promote ways of communications, I am no where near fluent in ASL and they were able to communicate with me through text devices/writing or the pamplets, their products are to bridge the hearing/deaf gap, and free. They also promote other help as well such as VOC Rehab, and more. Yes, there is some who run the booths that dont know ASL, but that would be discrimination to exclude them. I dont know where people get the idea that these walks are whatever they think they are. They are non profit, non discrimination on brands as they are all present, and a fun relaxed friendly atmoshere. The support group is mixed with all brands and styles from cochlear, baha, med-el, AB. We have a Terp, a person that types and projects the speakers voice on the wall, and various speakers come every months to talk about new technology, trouble shooting and other interests to the deaf community. We learn a lot from these speakers as well as doctors who come. We also learn from eachother and we share experiences with eachother. Our meets are usually held in a large conference room at the hospitals, some of us have formed smaller groups outside of the main group and meet on different days anywhere from our homes to restraunts with a more personal feel at our own expenses. We have made quite a few new friends and also made outings to places like the zoo, amusement parks...ect..

Sono, I think it all depends on your HLAA chapter. My chapter seems to be almost nonexistent. Last I checked their meetings are during the day...when I'm usually working.

Sono, I think it all depends on your HLAA chapter. My chapter seems to be almost nonexistent. Last I checked their meetings are during the day...when I'm usually working.
Ours are held on the first sunday of every month at 10am til? Snacks and drinks provided, its a fairly nice turn out every time and growing... some members have branched off to form their own groups and hold on different days, usually in the evenings. We cook, mingle and share experiences, answer questions... its becoming more of a "Friend" group now as its usually the same members but everyone is welcome to come.
The original meet is still strictly business, but a lot of them have become friends, followed others progress. ( some offered to come to the hospital during/after surgery ) for support but I myself found that a bit creepy...lol Some seemed to get offended that I didnt want them there, I mean come on, youre a total stranger and Im naked under the sheets.

Back