Walk4Hearing

There are other organizations that promote ASL and the teaching of ASL, so I don't see why the HLAA shouldn't promote other services for people with hearing loss who don't necessarily need or want to learn another language (ASL), or who want to be better able to function in the hearing world that they are used to. The term "hearing loss" implies people who once had a certain amount of hearing and now their hearing is less than what it was. Most people with hearing loss lose it as an adult, so hearing and speaking are what they know and are accustomed to doing. Most people with a hearing loss aren't completely deaf, so the services offered by the HLAA may fit their needs better than an organization that promotes learning ASL.

I honestly didn't know anything about the HLAA until I just now read their website, but it looks to me like the Hearing Loss Association of America helps people who want to use hearing aids, cochlear implants, CART services, and other methods that allow them to not have to learn another language and lets them communicate more easily in general with other people who don't know ASL.

I think it's actually a good thing that there are different organizations that offer different services to people who are deaf or have a hearing loss. It allows each organization to specialize for individuals' specific needs/wants. As for the HLAA being "audist," they are promoting services for people who had the ability to hear and who want to hear better again, so of course they're going to promote the ability to hear as a good thing. The organization was founded by someone who lost his hearing as an adult, so his organization was focused on people who have hearing loss, not necessarily people who were born deaf. There are people who have hearing loss who don't need or want some of the types of services that people who are deaf/Deaf might.
Exactly. It's for adult deafened people, rather then dhh as kids people. Unfortnatly their approach is very dull. I mean how many times can you read the same old Hearing Health 101 stuff? Going to a meeting was incredibily dull, and it seemed like a lot of the approach was really dull.

I really don't mean to stereotype but it seems like a lot of their members tend to be the Old people who wear streatchy elastic sweatpants and wear sweatshirts with rhinestones on them. I know there are a handful of young people involved.....and I think it would be awesome for deafened people.....But I also know a LOT of young deafened people who have decided to learn ASL too! (b/c that approach is a lot more fun then the hearing health 101 approach that HLAA pushes)

I really don't mean to stereotype but it seems like a lot of their members tend to be the Old people who wear streatchy elastic sweatpants and wear sweatshirts with rhinestones on them. I know there are a handful of young people involved.....and I think it would be awesome for deafened people.....But I also know a LOT of young deafened people who have decided to learn ASL too! (b/c that approach is a lot more fun then the hearing health 101 approach that HLAA pushes)

deafdyke
Please, why are you making fun of that group? They are as entitled as anyone to have support for their issues! I would think, also, that the Hearing Health 101 would be expected to appeal to the newly deafened of which there are always additional people having it happen to them.

That's really mean, and not even true.

For me - as someone who relies on more visual to process the world regardless of hearing loss and who -can- do well with ASL if I have people to practice with-
HLAA is too anti-ASL/Hearing-oriented for me to feel as I really "belong" there.
My experience is it's all about being hearing and how to get technology to do that for you. I'm also not at all a technologically oriented person, unlike my husband, who is hoh/deaf and VERY technical.

I sign too poorly for Deaf clubs. HLAA is very active here and as hoh I've looked into them.
I would be much more interested in a mixed hoh/deaf/Deaf or ASL-friendly situation.

But DD- I don't agree with what you wrote in terms of the stereotyping and negativity of it.
I don't think one has to stereotype to disagree with something.

That's really mean, and not even true.

I agree.

She's very anti-HLAA.

Personally, I've never looked into the HLAA, but that's just because I haven't wanted/needed to.

But there are some who do want to look into it, and I won't judge them for what resources they want to use.

Seriously????? Sweatpants and rhinestones. We know where you stand, how can we not. The only time you post is when you feel the need to bash late deafened people. If members here have received help from this group than that is a positive. Some of us have been hearing our whole lives, ASL is nice but no one I know signs which is the same for most "adult" CI users. We are far from being "old people" and as for me my wardrobe it has zero sweatpants and zero rhinestones.

Those items are on my Christmas list.

Let's get you some rhinestones! And sweatpants! Or real diamonds, for that matter. :)

Seriously????? Sweatpants and rhinestones. We know where you stand, how can we not. The only time you post is when you feel the need to bash late deafened people. If members here have received help from this group than that is a positive. Some of us have been hearing our whole lives, ASL is nice but no one I know signs which is the same for most "adult" CI users. We are far from being "old people" and as for me my wardrobe it has zero sweatpants and zero rhinestones.

I can't stand her posts. She seems to not understand there is a wide spectrum of hearing losses, and if anyone is different than hers, then boo-Hoo. I'm early deafened (born) but I understand that being late deafened or HOH (vs) D/deaf that there's a lot of differences for everyone.

If you want to be advocate, do that with respect regardless of anyone's hearing status. There's no need to be harsh or bash to make a point(s). Clearly your post has offended some people here, please think twice before you post.

Thanks.

Last edited:

:lol: I think I want some too now! (And I was born this way.)

deafdyke
Please, why are you making fun of that group? They are as entitled as anyone to have support for their issues! I would think, also, that the Hearing Health 101 would be expected to appeal to the newly deafened of which there are always additional people having it happen to them.
Because she dont know the FACTS. simple as that. There are babies with them, young kids that have them ( and my son plays with them while we are in the meetings ) its people of all ages, Those who recently gotten them, those seeking to get answers and more info from others on a personal level. The doctors are the ones who push for them, and the reason is $$$$$ we dont get money, the fundraisers are non propfit and it pays for the CART, Interp, food and other items associated like fliers, gifts...ect...

deafdyke

I'm not making fun of them... Just saying they're a different demographic, that's all.

I can't stand her posts. She seems to not understand there is a wide spectrum of hearing losses, and if anyone is different than hers, then boo-Hoo. I'm early deafened (born) but I understand that being late deafened or HOH (vs) D/deaf that there's a lot of differences for everyone.

Why are you always so rude to me? FYI, I'm not a profound voice off person.....I was born moderately severe.....and I know MANY MANY young hoh people who have tried it, and feel like the mentality there is pretty much akin to reading one of those Hearing Health 101 pamphlets.....Most young hoh folks I know who rave about HLAA tend to be professionals in their twenties who grew up pretty much hearing. And yes, late deafened people DO have very different needs then even born HOH people. But early HOH people do not nessarily have a distinctly different experiance from Deaf people......and most of the ones who do were either post or perilingally deaf. If they did there would be NO hoh people involved in the Deaf community. BTW, don't you think it's audist to automaticly assume that HOH people are somehow automaticly more "hearing" then deaf?

Because she dont know the FACTS. simple as that. There are babies with them, young kids that have them ( and my son plays with them while we are in the meetings ) its people of all ages, Those who recently gotten them, those seeking to get answers and more info from others on a personal level. The doctors are the ones who push for them, and the reason is $$$$$ we dont get money, the fundraisers are non propfit and it pays for the CART, Interp, food and other items associated like fliers, gifts...ect...

So why can't the audilogy companies fund those informational sessions "under the table?" I know they do that with a LOT of the other devices. (groups I'm in will sponsor info/ get togethers for their particular devices/HAs) You do realize healthcare is HUGE business here in the States right? Why don't they have these "walk for hearing" informational sessions in countries with socialized health care? Perhaps it's a cover. Just extremely extremely skeptical of an extreme capitalized healthcare system.....and virtually all the healthcare companies are in it for the profit. I live near Kenmore Square and read about the healthcare startups in the BUSINESS section of the Globe.

Why are you always so rude to me? FYI, I'm not a profound voice off person.....I was born moderately severe.....and I know MANY MANY young hoh people who have tried it, and feel like the mentality there is pretty much akin to reading one of those Hearing Health 101 pamphlets.....Most young hoh folks I know who rave about HLAA tend to be professionals in their twenties who grew up pretty much hearing. And yes, late deafened people DO have very different needs then even born HOH people. But early HOH people do not nessarily have a distinctly different experiance from Deaf people......and most of the ones who do were either post or perilingally deaf. If they did there would be NO hoh people involved in the Deaf community. BTW, don't you think it's audist to automaticly assume that HOH people are somehow automaticly more "hearing" then deaf?

If you look at a few posts above mine, I also said:

Personally, I've never looked into the HLAA, but that's just because I haven't wanted/needed to.

But there are some who do want to look into it, and I won't judge them for what resources they want to use.

That was my main point. No need to judge those who want to use HLAA resources regardless of your feelings about the HLAA. No two deaf or HOH people are the same. Let them make their own choices. There are posters on this board who live in areas where they have no one to sign with, so the fact that the HLAA doesn't promote sign is a moot point.

People lose hearing in many ways and cope in different ways. Whoever tried it or not... it varies with every individuals. There's millions of people with hearing loss, you can't expect to know every one of them. To each it's own on what they want in their lives. If they want to hear or not... it's their choice.

Its like going to the doctor for an injured shoulder. You say, My arm hurts when you go like this and one doc will say, heres some drugs, itll make it feel better. Another doc will say, Dont do that.

I asked my docs about my hearing and it was just flat " Theres a 50/50 chance it will work or it wont. None could answer my questions about CI except what they wanted you to hear ( basically a liability issue with them ) so at the seminar I got first row seating on my questions with genuine answers from those who have them both recently and for decades.... even stories of their experiences along the way which was enlighting. The doctors wont do anything like this for whatever reason, although mine does provide T-shirts, brochures and small stuff to us as we are his patients. We only tell of our experiences ( each one is different) from how we felt before, during and after surgery, our personal choices of why we chose what brand we have ( CI, Baja, and so on...) we dont tell people to choose cochlear or push them to get one, we just answer their questions and if something one doesnt know or experienced then someone else there may have... we are not allowed to give medical advice or any of that, besides it is more informational than anything with help, trouble shooting issues and a guest speaker from Cochlear or other groups.

Back