Walk4Hearing

shy2precious

Reaction score
Anyone walking in Washington, D.C. on October 24th????

What does it mean for hearing? Do you mean walk for Deaf rights in Washington, D.C.

They are not protesting for hearing. No, they are protesting for Deaf rights to have ASL, job discrimination (need jobs without discrimination), need ASL interpreters and need to have ASL teachers in both Deaf schools and mainstream schools.

Walk for hearing is a fundraiser and Awareness.... I just did one, and have the past couple years

Eh.....the Walk For Hearing seems to be for older late deafened people.
Also, the thing is.....we don't nessarily need awareness.... very few people are UNAWARE of dhh..... And the thing is it almost seems to be a Susan G Komen thing...... How much of the fundraising actually GOES to needed stuff? We need AFFORDABLE hearing aids and for insurance companies to cover it! Simple easy! Then the money for THIS could go to something else a lot more worthy!

I am with deafdyke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

The fundraising they do here helps pay for the cochlear meetings to help those seeking answers and knowledge on the implants. I myself was a guy who didnt know anything about them until I went, met people who had them and listened to their experiences.... and now I am one of them.

Oh that makes sense. I guess I should have looked into it more. I live with a deaf school in town and yet we never have a deaf walk. They do have fundraisers all the time. I use to go to a lot of them but have separated from my deaf family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

The fundraising they do here helps pay for the cochlear meetings to help those seeking answers and knowledge on the implants. I myself was a guy who didnt know anything about them until I went, met people who had them and listened to their experiences.... and now I am one of them.

So in other words it's like the Big Pharma "recruitment" meetings for a particular medication. Most people already KNOW about the CI. There's really no reason to have those meetings. Audis should be the ones to bring up the CI, and only when HAs have been totally maxed out on.

So in other words it's like the Big Pharma "recruitment" meetings for a particular medication. Most people already KNOW about the CI. There's really no reason to have those meetings. Audis should be the ones to bring up the CI, and only when HAs have been totally maxed out on.
No most people dont know.... yes they know theres CIs, but they dont know the facts, its to interact with ones who have them and get first hand knowledge, ask questions, get answers.
Anyone can say yeah it works, but those with CIs can answer truthfully about the experience.

No most people dont know.... yes they know theres CIs, but they dont know the facts, its to interact with ones who have them and get first hand knowledge, ask questions, get answers.
Anyone can say yeah it works, but those with CIs can answer truthfully about the experience.

That's why I'm here. I'm getting a CI soon and had do research it myself and ask people on here about it.

Not only have I gotten info, questions answered and Positive support, but made new friends as well as invited to private parties at their homes with other like individuals with CI. Its a wonderful support group. share experiences in personal lives as well as with CI momments. Help eachother with questions on trouble shooting and accessories. It goes way beyond the doctors office.

HLAA is totally anti ASL. Bet they don't distribute ASL info at their walks or offer free ASL classes for people with hearing loss or their families. They are Audist just like AG Bell
Anyway, enjoy you walk.

HLAA is totally anti ASL. Bet they don't distribute ASL info at their walks or offer free ASL classes for people with hearing loss or their families. They are Audist just like AG Bell
Anyway, enjoy you walk.

There are other organizations that promote ASL and the teaching of ASL, so I don't see why the HLAA shouldn't promote other services for people with hearing loss who don't necessarily need or want to learn another language (ASL), or who want to be better able to function in the hearing world that they are used to. The term "hearing loss" implies people who once had a certain amount of hearing and now their hearing is less than what it was. Most people with hearing loss lose it as an adult, so hearing and speaking are what they know and are accustomed to doing. Most people with a hearing loss aren't completely deaf, so the services offered by the HLAA may fit their needs better than an organization that promotes learning ASL.

I honestly didn't know anything about the HLAA until I just now read their website, but it looks to me like the Hearing Loss Association of America helps people who want to use hearing aids, cochlear implants, CART services, and other methods that allow them to not have to learn another language and lets them communicate more easily in general with other people who don't know ASL.

I think it's actually a good thing that there are different organizations that offer different services to people who are deaf or have a hearing loss. It allows each organization to specialize for individuals' specific needs/wants. As for the HLAA being "audist," they are promoting services for people who had the ability to hear and who want to hear better again, so of course they're going to promote the ability to hear as a good thing. The organization was founded by someone who lost his hearing as an adult, so his organization was focused on people who have hearing loss, not necessarily people who were born deaf. There are people who have hearing loss who don't need or want some of the types of services that people who are deaf/Deaf might.

For me, I tend to agree withsoutthpaw, based on what I've seen and who I've talked to locally and what I've seen on their websites.

But I do think for people interested in CI and want to get support like Sono described, HLAA can be very important.

I haven't really done anything with them because again - here they're anti-ASL, everything is about being Hearing.

I read their website and they talked a lot about feelings of isolation, misunderstandings and etc.

That just makes me so glad that I know ASL and am involved with the Deaf community. I remember those days when I was mainstreamed not knowing ASL. Never ever again.

The HLAA offers services to people intended to help them function and communicate better with hearing people. That doesn't make them anti-Deaf. Learning ASL doesn't help people with hearing loss communicate with the vast majority of people who don't know it. Unless they always have an interpreter with them, ASL doesn't help hoh people understand what is being said in most movies, lectures, plays, meetings, sporting events, concerts, etc. ASL connects people to the Deaf community, but the vast majority of people in the world aren't members of the Deaf community, and most hoh people want and need to function in the hearing world. The HLAA serves those in the hoh/deaf population who want to maintain and improve their connection with their world - the hearing world. That is what the HLAA does, because there is a need for their services for the majority of people who have a hearing loss.

I'm hoh (a progressive moderate loss in one ear and severe loss in the other) and have never needed ASL. As I've said many times, no one else I know uses ASL. The HLAA could be helpful to someone like me who is not in the Deaf community. Most people with hearing loss aren't in the Deaf community but they need services, too. The HLAA doesn't serve the Deaf community by promoting ASL, but that's not who they are meant to serve, and that's not their purpose. 'deaf' people deserve organizations and support groups that help them, just like Deaf people do.

Last edited:

Um yes they do. So you're basicly saying it's a PR shill to sell more CIs.

Back