Walk, Bike or Drive 1 mile?

Definitely not bad for a v8! I get around 40 MPG in my Scion... so it does its job.. . Also, my Scion is a stick....As I said though I much prefer my bike. :P

I'd like a different car, but I'm not sure how I can currently make that happen. I bought my car in 2008, just after I enlisted and I have regretted my choice ever since.

My car has a 4.6L 3V SOHC V-8 300hp engine and it's kind of a waste for me really and it has minimum state level for insurance. My bike has full coverage insurance and it gets used most of the year, but it's too cold here now to ride anything more than to town and back and even that is too cold.

I have been considering getting rid of this car and replacing it with a car that is in the area for sale, a 1977 Austin Mini in right hand drive. Tires for my current car cost a minimum of $150 per tire, so I make sure to keep tire pressure in check as I can't afford to lose a tire.

Well, I use bike to work every day (little over 2 miles). Maybe you can find a route that has less car traffic that you can use. I avoided busy big street and took small street route and it's no problem.

Thankfully I'm in Florida so motorcycles are year round just about. :) My tires are expensive too, they are low profile and I paid around $150 a tire last change out. Luckily I bought them all new and they have that 75k mile warranty. A 2008? Mine is a 2010 and has a stupid light to tell me when tire pressure is off, you don't have a similar light? Stupid annoying light.... :roll: like 1 pound off there's the damn light! :doh:

Just a hint for those using "bike" as they start to write. It can mean different things to different people. For some of us the first thing we think of when seeing "bike" is a bicycle and to others it is a motorcycle.

Thankfully I'm in Florida so motorcycles are year round just about. :) My tires are expensive too, they are low profile and I paid around $150 a tire last change out. Luckily I bought them all new and they have that 75k mile warranty. A 2008? Mine is a 2010 and has a stupid light to tell me when tire pressure is off, you don't have a similar light? Stupid annoying light.... :roll: like 1 pound off there's the damn light! :doh:

Yeah, its too cold to ride now, at least for me. I wish we had year round riding weather. A 2008 what?

Your car is a 2008, I was stating that certainly you'd have one of those annoying tire pressure lights like every car under the sun seems to. :doh: It annoys the beans out of me lately because it's getting cooler so OF COURSE the thing is super finicky lately. :roll:

Yeah, its too cold to ride now, at least for me. I wish we had year round riding weather. A 2008 what?

you can always get a heated gear lol

I'm still riding though

I did see that heated gear crap.... I'd worry I'd be the one malfunction where I caught fire or some crap. :doh: It would be my luck. Now they have A/C jackets... I'd be the one that messed up on too.... :doh:

OH! Hey when I went out of state ( Cold state ) They had these little packs you snap and they heat up! Stick them in your shoes and gloves and what not. I had them duck taped everywhere.... :laugh2:

As for cold riding motorcycle riding, I've found that rain gear is the most effective for keeping you warm. The problem is that no matter how many sweaters you wear it just won't be effective if you have the wind blowing on you.

And as for helmet visor fogging a dab of dishwasher soap works well!

I just have one of the helmets that's 3/4 and has the option to be full face. You can fold it up on top or down to make a full face. If it starts fogging I flip that crap right up and problem solved! :P It's nice to have the option. :D

I did see that heated gear crap.... I'd worry I'd be the one malfunction where I caught fire or some crap. :doh: It would be my luck. Now they have A/C jackets... I'd be the one that messed up on too.... :doh:

OH! Hey when I went out of state ( Cold state ) They had these little packs you snap and they heat up! Stick them in your shoes and gloves and what not. I had them duck taped everywhere.... :laugh2:

nah. you won't get electrocuted... otherwise they're not legally allowed to make it. I've ridden thru rain with it. no problem. totally and completely safe.

you only need to worry about making sure your battery doesn't die. heated gear does really drain the battery. depending on what bike you ride... especially 650cc... if you're idling or riding slow most of time because of traffic jam... you need to either turn it off or keep it at low setting. if your dashboard light starts flickering.... turn it off.

because the alternator doesn't usually kick in to charge your battery until your RPM is above 5,000.... at least that's how my bike was designed but I think most 650cc bikes are like that too.

for those with 1,000cc beefy engine.... no problem at all but still gotta keep it mind about battery. it would be good idea to install a simple battery monitor like this -

$T2eC16RHJFsFFSIVuwj,BRypHK5mWg~~60_35.JPG

it's very small.

As for cold riding motorcycle riding, I've found that rain gear is the most effective for keeping you warm. The problem is that no matter how many sweaters you wear it just won't be effective if you have the wind blowing on you.

a dab of dishwasher soap? hmmmmmm gotta try that!

nah. you won't get electrocuted... otherwise they're not legally allowed to make it. I've ridden thru rain with it. no problem. totally and completely safe.

you only need to worry about making sure your battery doesn't die. heated gear does really drain the battery. depending on what bike you ride... especially 650cc... if you're idling or riding slow most of time because of traffic jam... you need to either turn it off or keep it at low setting. if your dashboard light starts flickering.... turn it off.

because the alternator doesn't usually kick in to charge your battery until your RPM is above 5,000.... at least that's how my bike was designed but I think most 650cc bikes are like that too.

for those with 1,000cc beefy engine.... no problem at all but still gotta keep it mind about battery. it would be good idea to install a simple battery monitor like this -

$T2eC16RHJFsFFSIVuwj,BRypHK5mWg~~60_35.JPG

it's very small.

Oh that's nifty! :D

I ride a 750 Honda Shadow. :) Not huge but not a baby either. :P

you can always get a heated gear lol

I'm still riding though

I'm broke, can't afford it. Even if I spent every cent to my name right now, I still couldn't afford the jacket or pants and my boots are Arid weather Army boots, so my feet freeze and my gloves are army work gloves, they don't stop the cold either.

Your car is a 2008, I was stating that certainly you'd have one of those annoying tire pressure lights like every car under the sun seems to. :doh: It annoys the beans out of me lately because it's getting cooler so OF COURSE the thing is super finicky lately. :roll:

My car isn't 2008, my car is 2006.

I only have a rain jacket and I can't use the zipper because it's junk. I'll have to try that sometime, I hate having to open the visor to clear it at 75 MPH, that gets my face even colder.

i'm broke, can't afford it. Even if i spent every cent to my name right now, i still couldn't afford the jacket or pants and my boots are arid weather army boots, so my feet freeze and my gloves are army work gloves, they don't stop the cold either.

My car isn't 2008, my car is 2006.

I only have a rain jacket and i can't use the zipper because it's junk. I'll have to try that sometime, i hate having to open the visor to clear it at 75 mph, that gets my face even colder.

speeder!!!

speeder!!!

The speed limit is 70 here, I usually either go 70 or 75, but every so often I really do speed. On 11 November I hit well over 100 in the car and was moving in and out of traffic, before it got cold, I regularly hit 100 on the bike. Why you ask, well, I don't care and it adrenaline is good.

I was trained professionally to drive emergency vehicles, so I know what I'm doing.

Man dishwasher soap on your visor is awesome! I've ridden in 20 degree weather and I was STILL able to keep my visor closed. The only downside, if any, is that it doesn't last long. I have to re-apply every time I ride.

Back