Walk, Bike or Drive 1 mile?

paperclip

Reaction score
I need creative ideas!

Every night, I am left wondering if I should walk, bike or drive to work (1 mile away). I dislike all three options for different reasons. I'm wondering if is any alternative options I haven't been thinking of. I work from 7 am to 5 pm for reference (every other Friday off).

I've heard driving 1 mile is bad for your car.

I don't really like walking anymore because I pass a park with a few homeless people. One of them followed me once which really spooked me. It is also dark when I walk to and from work.

I don't really like biking because I pass a shopping center and drivers are rushing as they pass around me to get into the shopping center or enter the highway in the afternoon. Biking also adds an additional 30 minutes to my day due to changing clothes at work and dealing with helmet hair. Taking an alternative route is not an option (at least I can't avoid the shopping center) due to a dead end road.

There are no public transportation options and I can't catch a ride with a friend.

I could run to and from work taking an alternative route - dropping off/picking up clothes/food for the week on Saturday during errands?

Anyone have alternative ideas? Scooter seems cool, but would be hard to lock up at my workplace.

Thanks!

Driving short distances isn't bad for your car if you're running synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is better on your car if you drive short distances. :) ( So my Toyota mechanic told me )

MOTORCYCLE!!!!!! ( VROOM VROOM )

Why not arrange to get a ride with a co-worker and split the gas costs?

Maybe instead of changing your transportation habits change your clothing/bike habits to remove the extra time for changing etc.... to fix helmet hair wear a thick headband or use something like sea salt spray to freshen yourself up quickly and wear wicking clothing if you're spending time changing because of sweating (not sure why you change clothes after biking, so get creative in that area)

Alternative.... long boarding? Where are you located? Do you face snow?

Maybe instead of changing your transportation habits change your clothing/bike habits to remove the extra time for changing etc.... to fix helmet hair wear a thick headband or use something like sea salt spray to freshen yourself up quickly and wear wicking clothing if you're spending time changing because of sweating (not sure why you change clothes after biking, so get creative in that area)

Alternative.... long boarding? Where are you located? Do you face snow?

below her avatar - she's located in California.

below her avatar - she's located in California.

lol derrrr of course lol sorry.

If she was in Alaska or somewhere super cold these upcoming months it'd be fun to recommend a dog sled team..... that's a way to make an entrance :)

I still stand by biking. Wear a silk scarf around your head under your helmet and you won't have hat hair. My bigger thought (what I thought you'd mention) was people stealing your bike.... that happened to mine alllll the time. Ultimately I got a foldable bike and now it just comes inside with me.

Folding Bikes by Citizen Bike

If she was in Alaska or somewhere super cold these upcoming months it'd be fun to recommend a dog sled team..... that's a way to make an entrance

When I was in Alaska, it was -25 F one day and some guy was riding a bicycle down an ice covered hill (Which was the road, just covered in ice). How he didn't slip off, I don't know, I was in boots and had no grip standing still on a flat area.

When I was in Alaska, it was -25 F one day and some guy was riding a bicycle down an ice covered hill (Which was the road, just covered in ice). How he didn't slip off, I don't know, I was in boots and had no grip standing still on a flat area.

kisa_ice2.jpg

Dear god. haha

Why not arrange to get a ride with a co-worker and split the gas costs?

Great suggestion but it is not practical for the time being. I work with a team of 6 coworkers but we all come in at different times for different reasons. One girl is pregnant, another person does early morning work. Some of them live in LA - so they already spent 1-2 hours in traffic and they probably don't want to pick up the "new girl" because she doesn't want to walk to work.

If she was in Alaska or somewhere super cold these upcoming months it'd be fun to recommend a dog sled team..... that's a way to make an entrance :)

I still stand by biking. Wear a silk scarf around your head under your helmet and you won't have hat hair. My bigger thought (what I thought you'd mention) was people stealing your bike.... that happened to mine alllll the time. Ultimately I got a foldable bike and now it just comes inside with me.

Folding Bikes by Citizen Bike

No snow for me! I change clothes because I work in business clothes. Biking in my work clothes never goes well for me - pants get caught in gears, heels, etc. Fortunately, the bike ride is short enough that I never break a sweat. Biking in spandex is so much more comfortable and warmer.

I lock my bike with both kinds of locks (U-lock and wire lock) to help prevent theft. I will try a silk scarf if I can get my hands on one. Thanks!

Driving short distances isn't bad for your car if you're running synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is better on your car if you drive short distances. :) ( So my Toyota mechanic told me )

MOTORCYCLE!!!!!! ( VROOM VROOM )

How do I know if my car has synthetic oil? I drive a 2002 Ford Focus...I just got a new used transmission put in, so I'm trying to get it to last me another year or two before buying another car. Seems like the only way to get it to last 2 years is not driving it! :)

How do I know if my car has synthetic oil...
What kind of oil do you put into it for oil changes? It should be whatever your owner's manual recommends. That will tell you what kind it is.

No snow for me! I change clothes because I work in business clothes. Biking in my work clothes never goes well for me - pants get caught in gears, heels, etc. Fortunately, the bike ride is short enough that I never break a sweat. Biking in spandex is so much more comfortable and warmer.

I lock my bike with both kinds of locks (U-lock and wire lock) to help prevent theft. I will try a silk scarf if I can get my hands on one. Thanks!

They make velcros which go around your pant cuff to make it "tighter" so it doesn't catch in the chain... Check out running shops... Mine are reflective from roadrunnersports.com (an old season!)

Look no more, I found your perfect solution:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo]Jeremy drives the smallest car in the world at the BBC - Top Gear - autos - YouTube[/ame]

Back