veddy veddy interesting....

She is venting that some people assume when a person can't understand with their ci_,it must not work at all. That if it does work it ,it should work under all situations that hearing can hear. I agree with her.it doesn't work that way because we are not hearing people.

But as far as ASL, some people may not see the person naked if they are too busy reading. Hehs
asl is the next visual language you can access so can enjoy the ASL show.

Are you talking about listening again? I still can not believe you still don't get it when we have tried to tell you over and over that CI is just a tool for us to hear sounds, not to pick up words very well. CI people can pick up a few but not a whole lot of sentences or words with the voice interpreter. It just does not work that way anyway. It does not matter what people think. You are just afraid that every CI person want to sign ASL or let them know that CI does not work. And as a matter of fact, we are talking about a performance in the ASL play. Topic is to find a way to help CI understand what the play is about. So don't give us more of your talk about listening. :roll:

:roll:

This is why I get so frustrated. More crap about CI users not being able to understand speech, she evens says flat out "Ci does not work" :roll:

This is why I continue to come here and argue against this garbage.

This is why I get so frustrated. More crap about CI users not being able to understand speech, she evens says flat out "Ci does not work" :roll:

So now you want us to suffer some more of listening if they end up not understand what a person is saying especially a play. It is not the same hearing as the hearing people hear. And it is not garbage. I don't care what you think about us not being right. We are saying what it need to be said when it come to having hearing people like you think that CI is a breakthrough to make us hear again or being able to hear without lipreading. It is the same with the hearing aids for years too. You are no different than what we had to put up with hearing people in the past. So now back on Topic. :eek3:

She is venting that some people assume when a person can't understand with their ci_,it must not work at all. That if it does work it ,it should work under all situations that hearing can hear. I agree with her.it doesn't work that way because we are not hearing people.

But as far as ASL, some people may not see the person naked if they are too busy reading. Hehs
asl is the next visual language you can access so can enjoy the ASL show.

A naked man would be a major visual distraction for me! :lol:

Of course I won't say that CIs do not work because I believe they do for the most part, but we have heard SO many stories (some here, some in real-life experiences in the deaf community, etc. -- not all of us spout absolute disinformation as you seem to think) where many STILL do not understand speech. This comes from a variety of ages and length of use.

You don't have to. Nobody forces you to.

Of course I won't say that CIs do not work because I believe they do for the most part, but we have heard SO many stories (some here, some in real-life experiences in the deaf community, etc. -- not all of us spout absolute disinformation as you seem to think) where many STILL do not understand speech. This comes from a variety of ages and length of use.

You don't have to. Nobody forces you to.

Nobody forces me, but if I didn't, the comments would stand.

Nobody forces me, but if I didn't, the comments would stand.

And ?

So ... let me get this right. It's okay for you to tell us that this is crap that CI users do not understand speech when it has been proven and documented that some do not.

You don't get to tell us that it's crap and hope that your own comment stands. Oh wait, as you put it, "garbage".

And ?

So ... let me get this right. It's okay for you to tell us that this is crap that CI users do not understand speech when it has been proven and documented that some do not.

You don't get to tell us that it's crap and hope that your own comment stands. Oh wait, as you put it, "garbage".

What I object to is people who say it is impossible to CI users to listen or understand spoken language. It is simple, some do, some don't. But it is clearly proven and documented that MANY do.

What I object to is people who say it is impossible to CI users to listen or understand spoken language. It is simple, some do, some don't. But it is clearly proven and documented that MANY do.

When did someone say it was "impossible"? I don't remember that, but then again, I don't keep up much. As far as I know, everyone basically agrees that there are both positives and negatives to HA's and CI's. Not all of them are 100% perfect for every single hoh or deaf person.

So back to the original question, A CART writer would be able to keep up with the play. It would be essential that they were given the script ahead of time and maybe able to come to a rehearsal or two before the opening night. Even if the script isn't followed religiously, they would be able to make sure it was understood. There is a way to have only a line or two of text on a screen above or below the stage that would work, it would take work and cooperation but it would be doable.

I would not recommend trying to set it up with individuals for each different city, but would look into having one person come with you on the tour.

When did someone say it was "impossible"? I don't remember that, but then again, I don't keep up much. As far as I know, everyone basically agrees that there are both positives and negatives to HA's and CI's. Not all of them are 100% perfect for every single hoh or deaf person.

This will be my last comment, because this is all unrelated to the thread and I don't want to pull it further off topic. The person who called it impossible is quoted above and has said that very thing over and over and over and over.

Let's compromise instead of bickering about this.

I wear a Cochlear Implant, but I don't always understand speech. I fare well with my own family members and friends that I've known for years, but for strangers--- I can't understand them.

It may work for SOME people, mostly late deafened adults who already know what sounds are like and they adapt easier.

It works for some, for some it doesn't and let's leave it at that. The research that "proved" that it works well probably had more late deafened adults wearing CI in their study group.

But for the deaf culture, we use CI as an assistive device or even accessory perhaps. ;) A lot of people I know who have CI, they either got rid of their CI or just use it to help themselves lipread better.

Let's end this bickering right now and be friends again.

Are you talking about listening again? I still can not believe you still don't get it when we have tried to tell you over and over that CI is just a tool for us to hear sounds, not to pick up words very well. CI people can pick up a few but not a whole lot of sentences or words with the voice interpreter. It just does not work that way anyway. :roll:

Of course there may be individuals who can't discern the voice of an interpreter in the midst of a play in a crowded theatre. Both hearing and deaf--I have difficulty doing so without hearing loss.

But your contention that CIs just don't work to pick up words very well? That's wrong, making it possible to understand spoken language is exactly what they are designed to do, and in most cases, it's something they do very well.

Of course there may be individuals who can't discern the voice of an interpreter in the midst of a play in a crowded theatre. Both hearing and deaf--I have difficulty doing so without hearing loss.

But your contention that CIs just don't work to pick up words very well? That's wrong, making it possible to understand spoken language is exactly what they are designed to do, and in most cases, it's something they do very well.

Yeah, right. :roll:

Kristina, that happen to be me as I said it is impossible for them to hear clearly and listen as not every one could pick up the words that easily. If they understand and listen with spoken language, then they are hearing. Not hard of hearing or deaf. Right?

It does not make sense to have the CI as a hearing devices to help them listen which is why I said it is impossible in another thread arguing with them. :(

Kristina, that happen to be me as I said it is impossible for them to hear clearly and listen as not every one could pick up the words that easily. If they understand and listen with spoken language, then they are hearing. Not hard of hearing or deaf. Right?

It does not make sense to have the CI as a hearing devices to help them listen which is why I said it is impossible in another thread arguing with them. :(

Okay - I was not aware, but then again, you just basically agreed with what I had said that I thought we all agreed that not everyone could be helped with them and they do not work 100% for everyone. Right?

So now you want us to suffer some more of listening if they end up not understand what a person is saying especially a play. It is not the same hearing as the hearing people hear. And it is not garbage. I don't care what you think about us not being right. We are saying what it need to be said when it come to having hearing people like you think that CI is a breakthrough to make us hear again or being able to hear without lipreading. It is the same with the hearing aids for years too. You are no different than what we had to put up with hearing people in the past. So now back on Topic. :eek3:

Benonang, this argument will never end, because FJ has never worn any hearing appartus' herself from what I have read, therefore she would never see your/our point. How can she argue on what degree or how well a hearing appartus works or not?

Back