veddy veddy interesting....

There you go. And I find it extremely ironic that a hearing person comes to a deaf forum to tell a deaf individual that they are not entitled to their opionion regarding CI...or anything concerning deafness.
getting ridiculous.

It seems that you may be the only, or at least the most outspoken hearing parent here declaring what deaf individuals -- such as my daughter -- should or should not do.

And those who wonder why threads get derailed into a call and response on the merits and concerns around CIs should take a look at their own contributions before complaining about the responses those posts bring into the conversation.

It seems that you may be the only, or at least the most outspoken hearing parent here declaring what deaf individuals -- such as my daughter -- should or should not do.

And those who wonder why threads get derailed into a call and response on the merits and concerns around CIs should take a look at their own contributions before complaining about the responses those posts bring into the conversation.

How would you feel if your daughter, as an adult, had heairng people telling her that she is wrong about her deaf perspective?

How would you feel if your daughter, as an adult, had heairng people telling her that she is wrong about her deaf perspective?

Who does that??? I simply point out that there are lots of different deaf perspectives, not just one.

First, no one is telling anyone they're wrong about their deaf perspective (their world view, basically?).

But, I hope my daughter grows up with the ability to synthesize input even if it doesn't fit in with her preconceived ideas of the world. I hope her learning doesn't stop at 18, or 21 and she remains open-minded and empathetic until the very last. I sure do hope that other people, hearing or deaf, impact how she views the world around her.

First, no one is telling anyone they're wrong about their deaf perspective (their world view, basically?).

But, I hope my daughter grows up with the ability to synthesize input even if it doesn't fit in with her preconceived ideas of the world. I hope her learning doesn't stop at 18, or 21 and she remains open-minded and empathetic until the very last. I sure do hope that other people, hearing or deaf, impact how she views the world around her.

Look at the we're just like you right here on Our World, Our Culture. Everyone have their preferences, but the problem is we still need something like visual instead of relying on what the person is saying when we could not lipread or can not catch up the words that we miss. That is why Sign language like ASL and notetakers, plus having closed captioned video helping us to learn. In the hearing college is pretty difficult when we don't have the accommodations for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CI, too). If you don't understand about deaf perspective, then you are ignoring it all together and hoping that your daughter can still rely on listening. I know you continue to use sign language and that is good but when the future come. You still want her to listen instead of sign and that will be a struggle for her when she grows up as a young adult.

Look at the we're just like you right here on Our World, Our Culture. Everyone have their preferences, but the problem is we still need something like visual instead of relying on what the person is saying when we could not lipread or can not catch up the words that we miss. That is why Sign language like ASL and notetakers, plus having closed captioned video helping us to learn. In the hearing college is pretty difficult when we don't have the accommodations for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CI, too). If you don't understand about deaf perspective, then you are ignoring it all together and hoping that your daughter can still rely on listening. I know you continue to use sign language and that is good but when the future come. You still want her to listen instead of sign and that will be a struggle for her when she grows up as a young adult.

I liked that video a lot, thanks for pointing it out, Bebonang!

But I think what you're assuming in the bold part above is where we differ: I don't want her to listen INSTEAD of sign. I want her to do both.

I want her to switch to whichever one provides her more access at any given moment. In some cases, using ASL will do that. In other cases, using spoken English will do that. And she has no more struggle with spoken language than with signed language at this time, and I expect that to continue, based on her progress to date in both languages, the ease with which she hears & signs, and her ability to learn.

So, if she's at PFH's ASL play (when she's older and it's on Broadway), I want her to comprehend in the original form. If she struggles with some of the signs or the delivery is facing another direction, or she attends with friends who aren't as fluent, I love the idea of CART-like or voice support). Doesn't mean ASL has failed her if she needs support in a challenging situation. I also want her to attend plays performed in English, and it would be great is there was ASL or CART-like support for those as well.

I don't declare what deaf children should do. Left to their own devises, most would actually fulfill their own needs better than the hearing world seeks to do for them.

I declare what parents should do. Why? Because I have seen the direct effects of the ways in which their decisions and their actions have a negative impact on the kids.

Nor do I ever tell a deaf individual that they are not entitled to their opinion or their feelings regarding anything surrounding their deafness.

Back