United Nations' threat: No more parental rights

I've never hit my children out of anger. *shrugs* If I'm angry they have to sit down with me. We talk about what they did and for my eldest I tell her 'You can have a time out or a spanking' most the time she chooses spanking. We talk about what she's done wrong and how to handle situations when she is upset (in the case of throwing things for example) I've never smacked my child with anything but my fingers, whole hand is not even used.

My youngest usually get a swat on diaper (she's 3) half the time she cries because she knows she's in trouble and then in the next moment she's running off fine

Have you read about the long term effects of physical discipline? The effacy? Are there any child psychologists who recommend it?

Read what Jiro just posted. THAT is NOT within the USA's corporal punishment LAWS. That mother WAS being abusive. However a tap on the diapered butt of a 3 year old is not abuse and if you say it is i will laugh in your face and truthfully she (my three year old) probably would too lol Her and her sister are rougher when playing each other then my 'spankings' are

She was found not guilty. The court said it was acceptable.

She was found not guilty. The court said it was acceptable.

But she was charged, which indicates that her actions were outside the definition of the law. Obviously, the judge made an error, which all judges can and do make. They are human. Additionally, the judge may have been privy to mitigating circumstances that are not revealed in the report you have offered.

No one is condoning the beating of a child with an extension cord. But that is quite different than a spank on the clothed bottom with a hand.

Have you read about the long term effects of physical discipline? The effacy? Are there any child psychologists who recommend it?

Frankly. I think more children in this country need physical discipline. Perhaps then the little child at the hospital who beat my three year old's head into the floor because she was playing with the toy she wanted would have been better behaved.

His mother sitting on the side lines saying in a calm voice 'Now Danny, be nice to the baby' sure didn't step in until i had to physically remove that child from my toddler.

My children are happy. My children see a counselor (because of the losses our family has gone through) their counselor KNOWS how I discipline and has never said anything in concern about it

Spanking? Yes, there are psychologists who say that a spank on the bottom with a hand is an acceptable form of discipline in some cases.

Frankly. I think more children in this country need physical discipline. Perhaps then the little child at the hospital who beat my three year old's head into the floor because she was playing with the toy she wanted would have been better behaved.

His mother sitting on the side lines saying in a calm voice 'Now Danny, be nice to the baby' sure didn't step in until i had to physically remove that child from my toddler.

My children are happy. My children see a counselor (because of the losses our family has gone through) their counselor KNOWS how I discipline and has never said anything in concern about it

That's really not an answer to my questions.

Spanking? Yes, there are psychologists who say that a spank on the bottom with a hand is an acceptable form of discipline in some cases.

Show me. In all my hours of researching and classes in child development, I have never seen it. I have seen "child rearing experts" say it is ok, but I mean child psychologists.

That's really not an answer to my questions.

Eh Frankly I don't think you have much of an idea of what everyone is talking about. You refuse to see the difference between abuse and beating a child with an extension cord to a swat with your fingers on the diapered bottom of a child. So why should I beat a dead horse. I bow down to your all knowing self :roll: I'm off to read a story and sing my eldest poor abused psychologically impaired child to bed lol

Show me. In all my hours of researching and classes in child development, I have never seen it. I have seen "child rearing experts" say it is ok, but I mean child psychologists.

Actually, I had a professor who was a well known and well respected developmental psychologist who stated as much. And keep in mind, we are talking about discipline....not violence against children.

Eh Frankly I don't think you have much of an idea of what everyone is talking about. You refuse to see the difference between abuse and beating a child with an extension cord to a swat with your fingers on the diapered bottom of a child. So why should I beat a dead horse. I bow down to your all knowing self :roll: I'm off to read a story and sing my eldest poor abused psychologically impaired child to bed lol

And that is not an answer. I asked if you bothered to find out the ramifications of you behavior before deciding to discipline your child physically. Obviously, the answer is no.

Sure did. I find hitting your child with an extension cord on the naked skin to me inappropriate no matter what the offense.

yes. That is clearly a child abuse... which it's ILLEGAL under USA law. That's why the parents were charged with CHILD FELONY BATTERY. However the Supreme Court overturned the conviction and ruled that the mother punished within the law. I find it disgusting.... Spanking your child with a belt or electrical cord on naked skin IS CLEARLY A CHILD ABUSE! I'm assuming that this is a politically-motivated decision.

Here's the actual case file - Sophia Willis v. State of Indiana

Actually, I had a professor who was a well known and well respected developmental psychologist who stated as much. And keep in mind, we are talking about discipline....not violence against children.

You are the one who is so huge on research, so, let's see it.

yes. That is clearly a child abuse... which it's ILLEGAL under USA law. That's why the parents were charged with CHILD FELONY BATTERY. However the Supreme Court overturned the conviction and ruled that the mother punished within the law. I find it disgusting.... Spanking your child with a belt or electrical cord on naked skin IS CLEARLY A CHILD ABUSE! I'm assuming that this is a politically-motivated decision.

Here's the actual case file - Sophia Willis v. State of Indiana

But this is just going to make it easier for people who are clearly abusing their children to get away with it. It is disgraceful that it is a felony to beat a dog, but if you beat a child, and leave no marks, it is fine.

You are the one who is so huge on research, so, let's see it.

I just find it somewhat ironic that this is coming from someone whose avatar contains of a woman holding a decapitated head.

Just saying.

To answer your questions directly before I sign off. Yes I've done reading. And my children see a psychologist who agrees that our type of discipline is good. We've had many discussions about it.

And Finally I don't like the tone that you are taking saying that anyone who spanks is an abuser. I was traumatized as a child by a vicious family member so much so that I would hide in the cupboard in the kitchen. Don't you dare accuse me and countless other people of abuse because you can't see the difference between a swat on a diapered butt and an extension cord

Anyway I've had my say, now I'm gone and this discussion is done on my part :) Toodles loves! I think we're reading Little Brown Bear tonight

I just find it somewhat ironic that this is coming from someone whose avatar contains of a woman holding a decapitated head.

Just saying.

Good point, Banjo. And that is gonna leave a mark.

Just saying.

It's all about consent for me. A child has no place to escape to, no rights.

Why is it assault if I lay a finger on my sister, husband, mother, but if it is my child it is socially and legally acceptable? Children are weak and need protection and they are the only people the law doesn't protect.

But this is just going to make it easier for people who are clearly abusing their children to get away with it. It is disgraceful that it is a felony to beat a dog, but if you beat a child, and leave no marks, it is fine.

that's precisely what the law discerns. a physical punishment that leaves bruised mark is ILLEGAL. The teacher is LEGALLY OBLIGATED to report to officials if he/she sees the bruise. If you notice - the parents were originally charged with FELONY CHILD BATTERY but somehow for fuck of unknown reason... it was overturned by Supreme Court. I find it very puzzling why but I'm going to assume they were politically-pressured to overturn it.

Anyway I've had my say, now I'm gone and this discussion is done on my part :) Toodles loves! I think we're reading Little Brown Bear tonight

that sounds like a lovely story :wave:

Back