Uggghhh!

please don't take this personally or as an offensive, but are you a female? it is hard to say with your handler :Oops: cuz no females EVER told me that they shaved or cut a piece of their hair??? :hmm:

Yes I am a female :giggle:

How about some baling wire and strips of fluttering aluminum for better reception, too? Lol! *Running away*

One of my students has the exact same problem as u do. She cant get a stronger magnet and her hair is so thick. Her parents refuse to shave the area as her audiologist suggested so it is constantly falling off and just a huge distraction for her in class but I dont know what I can do cuz it is not in my place to tell her to take it off during class.

I am glad u brought this up so hopefully someone can post a solution and I can use it on my student too.

I was going to suggest a stronger magnet but u said your skin is thin. HMMM..probably have to shave off the area so it can stay but u say u dont want to do that. I dont wear CIs so I dont have any experience with that issue only thru my students' experiences.

Pls let me know if u find a solution from other sources. Thanks!

How does my being female relate to Feistychick's thread?! :eek3:

i think what he meant is that you are a female and a few months into your CI and would be able to help me out especially with the "hair" dilema... RIGHT, PACMAN? :D

SO CAN YOU!!!??? :D

but how can you? since your hair is so darn short... i am compelled to assume that you hardly have any problems like i stated in my posts? :(

One of my students has the exact same problem as u do. She cant get a stronger magnet and her hair is so thick. Her parents refuse to shave the area as her audiologist suggested so it is constantly falling off and just a huge distraction for her in class but I dont know what I can do cuz it is not in my place to tell her to take it off during class.

I am glad u brought this up so hopefully someone can post a solution and I can use it on my student too.

I was going to suggest a stronger magnet but u said your skin is thin. HMMM..probably have to shave off the area so it can stay but u say u dont want to do that. I dont wear CIs so I dont have any experience with that issue only thru my students' experiences.

Pls let me know if u find a solution from other sources. Thanks!

Is it the magnet that's not sticking or the processor? If the magnet then would suggest the parents get a stronger magnet (your student may not have the same thin skin problem) or take their child to a hair dresser to have the small area where the magnet is snipped. It doesn't necessarily have to be shaven just snipped so that hair still covers the area but isn't quite as thick. A good hairdresser will be able to do this discreetly.

If it's the processor then I would suggest double sided medical tape, which has worked so well for my friend.

i think what he meant is that you are a female and a few months into your CI and would be able to help me out especially with the "hair" dilema... RIGHT, PACMAN? :D

but how can you? since your hair is so darn short... i am compelled to assume that you hardly have any problems like i stated in my posts? :(

Yeah, it's very short. I don't have much problem with it falling off - I have 2 magnet strengths - #2 and #3 and both stay on just fine but I prefer #3 just simply because I like to be able to feel the coil on my head - makes me feel more secure.

Yup, that what I means.

Lucia, I don't realize that your hair is short then supposed to easier for CI to stay on head instead of falling down.

I will find out but how to dig your long hair then put coil on head, see if work.

I was told by my Audi that you need to be careful shaving the hair. You didn't want it too short as you could make a bristle effect. Too short makes the hair stiffer/bouncier much like a crew cut feels. This might make the magnet fall off easier as well. Also have you tried wig tape?

I had the same problem. I have VERY thick hair and used to have it down to my waist, but after I got my CI, It would fall off because of my thick hair, so I got a pixie cut with the back of the head cut VERY short (I don't care if anybody sees my CI - I"m PROUD of it!!!) and it works great.

pixiecut.jpg

I have heard of people who just shave a tiny bit where the coil snips on - nobody will see it and because you have so much other hair even when you pull it back, you won't be able to tell!

Interesting thread here... I didn't know about this until this thread here for a first time... All what I hope for you is find the best solution how to do it. :hug:

Yes I am a female :giggle:

:jaw: I thought all the time that you are a male... :eek3: :giggle:

I also have nucleus freedom.. i normally have short and long hair though time.

when i get longer hair.. i tend to screw the magnet closer to the head, when i have shorter hair i screw the maganet away from the head this helps me though.

it kept falling off of me too, so i tried the longer ear hook and just used the warm water like they say to bend it a little better to fit around my ear, it works for me, had no problems keeping it on my ear now. what i don't like, is the little soreness I get from wearing the ear hook all the time lol, but that's okay with me lol.
Just play around with your 2 diff ear hook and try to find the desire effect you want. The shorter hook, everytime I moved my head or look down, it kept falling off, once I was looking down the stairs and boom, it fell off and tumble all the way down the stairs! I was so worried! put it back on, it works! lol
Just take some time and play with them ear hooks and hopefully you can find your solution.
Best of luck with it.

it kept falling off of me too, so i tried the longer ear hook and just used the warm water like they say to bend it a little better to fit around my ear, it works for me, had no problems keeping it on my ear now. what i don't like, is the little soreness I get from wearing the ear hook all the time lol, but that's okay with me lol.
Just play around with your 2 diff ear hook and try to find the desire effect you want. The shorter hook, everytime I moved my head or look down, it kept falling off, once I was looking down the stairs and boom, it fell off and tumble all the way down the stairs! I was so worried! put it back on, it works! lol
Just take some time and play with them ear hooks and hopefully you can find your solution.
Best of luck with it.

i am gonna try that.. as you and a few others suggested it too... but i also have a problem with the magnet staying on my friggin head :squint:

my aunt who got a CI two years ago... (this is so HILARIOUS)... she walked by a fridge last year... the magnet like came off cuz it was being "snapped" onto the fridge!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: it caught her off guard.... i think she was really freaked out ... :rofl: it hasn't happened to me yet!!! whew!!! :fingersx:

I had no plm with it. Only when it fell off when my hair were in the way. I had to clear the hair so coil magent can snap it tightly.

One time, I was visiting my gf's mother at the hospital. We all were in the elevator and I was lean back on the elevator wall. The coil magnet were snapped to the wall. I was like YIKES!!! I sometimes didnt realized there were metal on the wall or anything else.

Is it the magnet that's not sticking or the processor? If the magnet then would suggest the parents get a stronger magnet (your student may not have the same thin skin problem) or take their child to a hair dresser to have the small area where the magnet is snipped. It doesn't necessarily have to be shaven just snipped so that hair still covers the area but isn't quite as thick. A good hairdresser will be able to do this discreetly.

If it's the processor then I would suggest double sided medical tape, which has worked so well for my friend.

It is the magnet and no, she cant get a stronger magnet due to her skin. I guess she has thin skin too...

BOTH!!! :(

my magnetic is #2... the audiologist won't give me a stronger magnetic because apparently my skin is TOO THIN for a stronger magnetic that the skin will break/wear out :(

how strong is your magnetic in the coil?

I am am using a number 3 magnet but my audiologist will give me a number 4. It all depends on how thick your skin flap and the issue with the hair. As long you are not bruising the skin with too much magnetic force you should be okay. :fingersx:

Back