Turn the Lights off!!

Wow....

That's why I don't have any sympathy. In a hearing dorm, I learned quickly that if a few people want to watch a movie in a communal living room, that OTHER hearing people who are interested in talking leave the room; if you do have a full-blown conversation in middle of a movie, people get grumpy.

Really? Sorry, in my whole life, any of my hearing friend or a relative had never been so grumpy when my deaf company and I chat during the tv/movie whether the lights is on except my bf's grammy. So, now it's fair exchange whenever she wants to get my attention to talk to me during the TV in the dark, I couldn't see anything what she's saying so I ignore her until she turns the light on. She's so grumpy at me because I couldn't see her sign clearly in the dark with TV being on? Too Fucking Bad!

The only time the lights are turned off at my house is when we want to watch a "scary" movie....I've known some deafies that like their home "dark",p and use a 30 watt light bulb (for lamps, etc.)....closing the blinds/drapes, etc.....I can't deal with that! I'm a sunshine person! Even this AM when I got up at 6, open the blinds, getting ready for the day.....I want to know "what's going on outside", and feel "trapped" and "shut in" if I can't get some light into the house.

If ur outnumbered where ya live by hearies and they wanna watch TV in the dark....so what? Watching TV and talking are 2 different stories, and commercial breaks are usually for snacks, drinks, etc. It's not "audism"!...Same thing for watching TV with cc....lots of hearies hate it, but compromise with deafies about that. I'm the only deafie in my house, and there are certain programs on TV that I watch, with cc....as for the other programs the boys watch, they can cut the cc off if they want to. No problem!

Nope, hearing grammy is outnumbered by us three deafies in the house. Me, my bf and deaf aunt. TV with CC is always left on at all times. Except the drama about one fucking thing: Light.

Probably one of those people that accuse you of playing loud music even though you're not home... let alone got the stereo on.

Is that a joke or what? I hardly turn my stereo on loudly...silly you, there's the headphones. I use my headphones that is plugged in to my stereo when I put volume and bass on pretty high.

I cant watch movie on TV in total darkness, it gives me headache! No thanks!

I agree with you! Like it's not good for eyes while using the computer or laptop in the dark. I guess we have to look up the floor lamp at home depot to find out how much is it. Although, we wouldn't be surprised if grammy demands to turn the floor lamp off in the living room....

Wirelessly posted

Douglas said:
Probably one of those people that accuse you of playing loud music even though you're not home... let alone got the stereo on.

Is that a joke or what? I hardly turn my stereo on loudly...silly you, there's the headphones. I use my headphones that is plugged in to my stereo when I put volume and bass on pretty high.

I am assuming the hearie in question is probably one of those that is always looking for a fault to blame on others.

Is it possible for us deafies to talk in ASL in the dining room and/or kitchen room with the lights on, which both are right across from the living room (within no doors or a curtain, nothing between 3 rooms) and she's (hearing) still demanding us to turn the lights off in dining room and also kitchen room while she's watching TV? Come on.
That's why I asked the question. I didn't make a command. How would I know the layout of the area involved? It was a reasonable question.

I have no idea why the hearing person needs total darkness to watch TV. It seems that both parties need to do a little compromising and furniture re-arranging in order to live together amicably. :dunno:

ah so now we got a better picture. a woman watching tv is demanding you deafies in OTHER room to turn off the light? sounds like an old grumpy fart.

what about... close the door?
Douglas said that there is no door.

Nope, hearing grammy is outnumbered by us three deafies in the house. Me, my bf and deaf aunt. TV with CC is always left on at all times. Except the drama about one fucking thing: Light.
Maybe it's time to get a place of your own so you can control your own environment.

This sounds like a really irritating problem. Especially if she's done it more than once. You should definitely sit down and tell her why you need the lights on. It may be an ignorance thing or it may be she's being a royal you know what. If she gives you serious 'tude I'd suggest to her to move her television and such into her own room where she has a door she can shut to obtain complete and total darkness. There's no reason why she can't be accomodating and understanding that there are other people with separate needs in the house.

I know from living for a few years in dorms myself, that if any of us don't like the stuff on television we head into our separate rooms with our computers/televisions and watch what we wanna watch. We also sometimes just told each other "I was planning on having a movie at such and such a time" or "there's a hockey game I really wanna watch with some friends in the living room" so no one was surprised. Unless she gave you that kind of heads up, it's damned rude of her to just take over the living room and then tell you to shut the lights off.

She also said they are living in the boyfriends grandmother's house.

Just as I said, when you live in someone else's house , they make the rules.

In my house, the lights stay on. If you want to make the rules, quit living cheap off someone else, move out and get your own place where you can be in charge.

In my house, the lights stay on. If you want to make the rules, quit living cheap off someone else, move out and get your own place where you can be in charge.
Yep. Could be time for the baby birds to leave the nest.

That's right, Bott...you beat me to the punch!..."It's grammy's house, she makes the rules."....She might be wanting to save on the electric also....Then again, maybe she's just tired of them living there and trying to make it very inconvenient for them, (hoping they will move on).....

So until you get ur own place, stop complaining! It's not ur house, do you even pay rent there?....Even if you do, it's still the grammy's house! She makes the rules....I've got 3 boys, and believe me, I've got a lot of rules!! Keeps my home running smoothly (the way I want it to)....NO phone calls after 10pm and no visitors (unless it's family) at anytime unless I say it's OK, otherwise, they stay on the patio to talk.

...She might be wanting to save on the electric also...Then again, maybe she's just tired of them living there and trying to make it very inconvenient for them, (hoping they will move on)....
I hadn't thought of that. :lol:

Wirelessly posted

I am assuming the hearie in question is probably one of those that is always looking for a fault to blame on others.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Didn't you get it that the headphones are plugged in to the stereo is automatically silent while the volume is either low or high. And there is never once happened with a complaint regarding to the loud blast....eh, think I don't know what I was doing ? Yeah right. I could hear the next door neighbor's stereo being on loud blast sometimes during weekend nights. I could feel it, anyway. It doesn't bother us all. Grammy's actually a little bit of hard of hearing...she sometimes wears hearing aids like the most aging people do. She also actually tends to leave the TV volume on high.

Actually, my bf is the man of the house, he is in charge at half of the time. Even after she dies, he still will own the house. Although, I doubt he wants to live here, anyway. Since Grammy doesn't know how to take care of her house after his Grandpa passed away a several years ago. Everything was perfect as smooth while Grandpa was alive. He strictly left the lights on whenever he is reading books or watching the tube and also communicating with my bf whether Grammy was watching the TV.
Are you saying that I'm freeloading off Grammy? If that is so, wrong. I do pay my rent monthly and never missed once on rent. Sure I used to live on my own place (of course, no roomate) for long enough before I lost my job. It was Grammy's and my bf's idea of preferring me to move in with them for the best and safety reason and also due to economical crisis. Why else do you think? What would you do when you lose your job and can't afford to live on your own in an averagely expensive apartment or condo? I take care a lot of things for Grammy while my bf is away at work since she's old... So yeah that's right my bf and I recently had a discuss about moving out to different place... depending on fianicial issue. Yes, that means leaving Grammy and her ill sister behind in her house that is falling apart. Think we are being selfish? Don't think about it. It's for the best. Yeah, you could ask, who's taking care of them after we move out? Well, her daughter, me, and my bf tried to advise them (you have no idea how many times we told them!) to move to a nice Senior Citizen apartment where there has many accomdations and activities. She's just a damn stubborn for real....so it's time to let her realize at once as we're processing to move out in the next year or so. She should know any better that we cannot live under her roof as if once we are getting engaged. I do know that she depends on me a lot. Once I find a new job, I cannot be interfered with the stress and time from her and her sister. I mean, she basically thinks my bf and I have Octopus hands. End of the story.

Um...

Okay?

Even if you're renting... you still have to follow the rules of the landlords, parents, relatives have outlined.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Didn't you get it that the headphones are plugged in to the stereo is automatically silent while the volume is either low or high. And there is never once happened with a complaint regarding to the loud blast....eh, think I don't know what I was doing ? Yeah right. I could hear the next door neighbor's stereo being on loud blast sometimes during weekend nights. I could feel it, anyway. It doesn't bother us all. Grammy's actually a little bit of hard of hearing...she sometimes wears hearing aids like the most aging people do. She also actually tends to leave the TV volume on high.

Forget it...

Obviously you haven't ran into people that try to blame everything on other people. The type that think you have been out partying all night because the "lights were on" even though you has been sleeping all night; the type that think you're playing loud music even though you don't own a stereo or a speaker to begin with. Or think you're distracting them from watching TV even though the room is pitch-black. Basically... with those people, if you breathe... they will complain how loud the breathing is.

There is no real rationale behind anything they say. They're just grumpy. I hate having those types for neighbours.

I hadn't thought of that. :lol:

Oh, maybe! Pretty sad as it is why she uses up so much of her budget on playing bingo six days a week plus 2 cartons of ciggies per week...barely won anything. It's suspectible that a half of my rent money is being used to spend for her going out at bingo instead fixing the broken kitchen lights, door, etc. Sad, sad, sad.

Oh, maybe! Pretty sad as it is why she uses up so much of her budget on playing bingo six days a week plus 2 cartons of ciggies per week...barely won anything. It's suspectible that a half of my rent money is being used to spend for her going out at bingo instead fixing the broken kitchen lights, door, etc. Sad, sad, sad.
The rent money is not yours and you have no rights to say how it is spent.

Grandma is your landlord and it is her money.

Back