Turn the Lights off!!

The rent money is not yours and you have no rights to say how it is spent.

Grandma is your landlord and it is her money.

Not to mention it doesn't sounds like the responsibilities are designated and divided among the members of the house in the lease.

Um...

Okay?

Even if you're renting... you still have to follow the rules of the landlords, parents, relatives have outlined.

Not always. Um, okay so what do you say when your future wife demands you to turn all the lights in the house that you live in with her..since it's her rules? Hmm? Don't think you would like that anyway. Grammy doesn't OWN me. I help paying her some of my rent for the electricity/heat, don't u forget that. Like when you want to communicate with your deaf girl or a friend, politely turn the light on in order to do so. Blinding one another in the dark anywhere in the house isn't the answer. Simple as plain.

Not always. Um, okay so what do you say when your future wife demands you to turn all the lights in the house that you live in with her..since it's her rules? Hmm? Don't think you would like that anyway. Grammy doesn't OWN me. I help paying her some of my rent for the electricity/heat, don't u forget that. Like when you want to communicate with your deaf girl or a friend, politely turn the light on in order to do so. Blinding one another in the dark anywhere in the house isn't the answer. Simple as plain.

husband and wife are equal partners. in this case - grandma is the boss.

The rent money is not yours and you have no rights to say how it is spent.

Grandma is your landlord and it is her money.

Dang, seems you don't understand it somehow. It was an offer. She isn't my exactly landlord. We're like a family, technically. Let me explain to you. Suppose you have a young adult son that is living under your roof and may be paying a rent to you. He gives, like a hundred dollars to you for new woods fixing the attic floor that is creaking, missing, splitted up wood. Or new pipe for the toilet pipe that is already rusted/holed. Instead, you use a hundred bucks spending at a bar. Isn't that irresponsible? Souggy's right. Landlord sometimes can be irresponsible and dishonest.

Isn't that irresponsible? Souggy's right. Landlord sometimes can be irresponsible and dishonest.

Where did you get that from?

It sounds like to me you got an inexperienced landlord. Did you guys sign a lease? If so, what duties are designated to each of the tenants?

I know when I signed the lease for this place, I am responsible for the repair and maintainance for everything in the kitchen. The only thing the landlord has to do is maintain the lawn and the hallways and the lobby. My last place required me to inform the landlord of anything in disrepair, fix them, then give him the bills to be compensated for them; he also required me to mow the lawn. Only thing he had to do was pay the utility bills.

Did you guys sign a lease? If not, the only legal thing that bond you guys is that in exchange for rent money, you have been given the privilege to stay there. Without a lease, she is not required to fix anything or replace anything. If you guys did sign a lease, then there would be a list of duties assigned to the landlord and the individual tenants.

Why would I be renting from my wife? At worst, we would be co-signers for a rental lease or a mortgage.

Doesn't matter whether it's mortaging, renting, or leasing for a married or partnered couple. Well, some one can be in charge at a hundred percent controlling her or his partner to pay the mortage or rent to him/her......how about Yizuman's wife's ex husband...wasn't he acted like the landlord (making the rules rules rules as what others said here) to her or what? Dunno if he lived in a house or rental mobile/apt. That might be an example?

It sounds like to me you got an inexperienced landlord. Did you guys sign a lease? If so, what duties are designated to each of the tenants?

I know when I signed the lease for this place, I am responsible for the repair and maintainance for everything in the kitchen. The only thing the landlord has to do is maintain the lawn and the hallways and the lobby. My last place required me to inform the landlord of anything in disrepair, fix them, then give him the bills to be compensated for them; he also required me to mow the lawn. Only thing he had to do was pay the utility bills.

Did you guys sign a lease? If not, the only legal thing that bond you guys is that in exchange for rent money, you have been given the privilege to stay there. Without a lease, she is not required to fix anything or replace anything. If you guys did sign a lease, then there would be a list of duties assigned to the landlord and the individual tenants.

You're right, no, there was no such a tenant or lease form from her for me to sign, lol. When they (grammy and bf) asked me to move in with them as Grammy would like me to after the situation with my former residence-not to mention he was bad landlord/job/other thing and I may be a good help to her around her house such as cleaning, mowing the backyard lawn, walking her dog, some heavy duty chores while I'm not employed (not to mention that I sometime work "undertable" job away from home.) My bf has been lived with her/Grandpa since he was 14 (excluded from 21 to 28) he promised her he would stay at her house being a man of the house to secure, taking care some things and some little duties/chores whereas she cannot do it herself) until she, you know, after Grandpa passed away. Of course, my bf doesn't have enough budget to fix everything in the house...Grammy's the one that is responsible to fix things that is broken...that is her property for more than 40 years. Mortage was paid off way long time ago. She broke and ruined many things around in the house especially the kitchen ceiling lamp. Now then she's like demanding me or my bf to buy our budget for stuff to replace the broken lights. I bought a lot of food from my own pocket and most of food were gone, stolen by and pigged up by her sister. She and her didn't even give me some money for food that I cooked for them old ladies. That turns me off. One of many reasons he and I have to get out of here sooner or later if financial is saving up enough. Too bad he has to break the promise...he has to. Her stubborness, her lies, and useless, maybe little greedy doesn't help us all after a couple of years. Enough is enough. That is our last straw. At least, we aren't freeloading off her. Whether it is landlord duty or not, yes she's damn inexperienced or bad one. First year was pretty okay and second year things got worse. She doesn't learn one darn thing my bf and I have been trying to educate her on many things. I can't be her nursing staff (sounds like) or a maid without paid mininum wage for life...eh, I mean, of course she eats, walks on her own, showers/bath on her own, drives a car to bingo and places, cooks sometimes, taking care of her sister who's attached to an oxygen machine, watch tv and ciggies. He has a job and other responsibles, her own grown children don't have the power to put her and aunt at the nursing home. They don't even want to live under her roof. Nobody does as I've realized. Time to let us go on our own. She will learn one day for big time, we hope.

Oh, forget to tell one more thing: her sister who's ill and is on oxygen machine..Doctors told Grammy not allowed to smoke around her or near her machine because it's health hazard. Guess what? She ignored the safety rule and still smokes around her in the house. That makes us cough badly...ACK!

She can't be a "bad" landlord if she doesn't have a legally-binding contract. A bad houseowner, maybe, but not a bad landlord.

Dang, seems you don't understand it somehow. It was an offer. She isn't my exactly landlord. We're like a family, technically. Let me explain to you. Suppose you have a young adult son that is living under your roof and may be paying a rent to you. He gives, like a hundred dollars to you for new woods fixing the attic floor that is creaking, missing, splitted up wood. Or new pipe for the toilet pipe that is already rusted/holed. Instead, you use a hundred bucks spending at a bar. Isn't that irresponsible? Souggy's right. Landlord sometimes can be irresponsible and dishonest.
Maybe it would have been better if you went to Home Depot or Lowes and bought the materials yourself rather than handing over cash. Some older people don't like to shop at home improvement stores, or don't know what to get.

Yes, putting agreements in writing clears up a lot of problems.

...Oh, forget to tell one more thing: her sister who's ill and is on oxygen machine..Doctors told Grammy not allowed to smoke around her or near her machine because it's health hazard. Guess what? She ignored the safety rule and still smokes around her in the house. That makes us cough badly...ACK!
It's more than a breathing health problem; it's a safety hazard. There is danger of explosion and fire. My MIL is on full-time oxygen, and she has warning stickers on her outside doors--NO SMOKING ALLOWED, OXYGEN IS USE.

Ironically, it's the 50+ years that she smoked that caused her to need oxygen. She finally quit when she went on the oxygen.

She can't be a "bad" landlord if she doesn't have a legally-binding contract. A bad houseowner, maybe, but not a bad landlord.

It's both. She owns a house across the street from where we live. Her niece-in-law lives in that house. She used to complain to my bf about Grammy when she requested for a fix the ceiling that is leaking out from the toilet pipe, Grammy didn't do anything about it. Instead, her longtime boyfriend tried to fix it on own..it was okay now. That's why she and Grammy hardly see each other. We do know that Grammy has been avoiding her.....we smell Grammy's guiltness! Enuff said.:aw:

It's more than a breathing health problem; it's a safety hazard. There is danger of explosion and fire. My MIL is on full-time oxygen, and she has warning stickers on her outside doors--NO SMOKING ALLOWED, OXYGEN IS USE.

Ironically, it's the 50+ years that she smoked that caused her to need oxygen. She finally quit when she went on the oxygen.

That's correct...it did happened that the oxygen machine got "blew up" the white air smoking...but it wasn't from her smoking around, it happened while Grammy, me and my bf were out for Grammy's 75th birthday party. Her sister who's deaf and also a mentally challenged (her mental capacity is of 5 years old) tried to touch or bang around her machine too much that somehow it got blew up moments before we got arrived home. It was a quite scary...if Grammy lit her cig...forget it. I put up the same warning sticker on the laundry door but the next day Grammy took it off. Ugh. She doesn't care. My bf do smokes but he does it in the patio or outside. We seem cannot do anything about Grammy, she's hard to get through her thick head. We get out of the house as much as possible except sleeping upstairs, dinner, name a few among other things to avoid the situation of her.

Oh, her sister didn't really smoke. She quit 35 years ago and she fell ill with breathing problem 4 years ago. She's 8 years younger than Grammy. Grammy's a heavier smoker since she was 18, 2 packs a day and surprisely enough she doesn't have a serious healthy problem except the last week with her new discovery diagnosis: Diabetes. No surprise, whatsoever.

Maybe it would have been better if you went to Home Depot or Lowes and bought the materials yourself rather than handing over cash. Some older people don't like to shop at home improvement stores, or don't know what to get.

I know what you mean. I'm no expert of home improvement or fixing things in the house except the basic things. The ceiling kitchen light, I was told from yesterday that the wires and the lamp overhead are pretty old (this house was built in 1899) wires are needed to replace to a new electrical wire...it's not cheap to buy the replacement! Anyway, believe it or not there is numerous of houses with red sprayed box symbol on its every front door on our street and other streets..it means these houses are going to be bulldozed. Every room the floors you walk on is way unbalanced. Think like the movie Beetlejuice. Because the tree roots had grown undereath the house over a century...that's how it affected.

I was a town meeting and someone want the lights out . I said I would not be able to read people lips and the lights were dimmed instead of being turned off! The mayor knew me and was understanding about this.

Back