Trilingualism

For the same reason that ALL languages do including English, French, Spanish etc.... it's just an aspect of the language.

It seems that you are seeing this issue of having more than one sign for a single object/item/expression etc as a "problem" unique to ASL, and something that is an indicator that ASL is less developed, less refined or lacking in some way - however I can honestly tell you this is NOT at all the case. In fact if you study linguistics you'll find that ALL languages have the exact same "issue" of "multiple names" for objects/expressions etc.

ASL for example has 2 signs that both mean CEREAL, BIRTHDAY, EMAIL etc for the exact same reasons that English has two words (spoken&written) that means:
couch/chesterfield
soda/pop
cart/buggy
thong/flip-flop/sandal

These "quirks" are present in ALL language- and occur in part because healthy languages develop in multiple locations simultaneously - so occasionally a groups of native users in one location will create a slang/new word for an object that happens to have a different word/sign somewhere else. This isn't a problem, it's simply a variation.

If you are teaching/learning with a young child (since this seems to be a concern of yours) - when you talk about that object you simply explain that it has two signs, and that both are proper but some people prefer one way and others prefer another. It's honestly not that "big" a deal. In fact it's an OPPORTUNITY to explain how many people use ASL and how just like in the hearing world their are different accents and different slangs for things ... ASL is exactly the same.

If you are playing a game, or memory recall activities involving:
1)pictures or objects
2)names of objects
3)the ASL sign for the object

If a certain "thing" has more than one ASL sign, ask for both. So for CEREAL if the student/child signs back CEREAL (1), then the person leading the activity (teacher, parent, friend etc) simply says something like "right, there are two signs for C+E+R+E+A+L (fingerspelling cereal) do you remember what the other sign is?" . Then the student/child signs the 2nd ASL sign for CEREAL (2) if they know it, if not the leader shows the other sign, then has the student/child repeat back both signs to help "lock it" in their memory.

For a student learning the language - it's only going to be frustrating if they - or their teacher have decided to MAKE is frustrating, if instead they decide that it is an opportunity to learn more about ASL as a growing language then honestly - it CAN be FUN.

FWIW - Although I've been Hoh since birth, I didn't learn the language of ASL (I knew thousands of signs, but not the LANGUAGE until I was almost an adult) and this mindset makes a tremendous difference in not only how well you learn, but also how you understand the language ... being open-minded and not trying to make ASL into a "form of English" makes a huge difference. Honest.

I remember those days when I was learning ASL in an English mindset so I wasnt able to understand the language until I finally started thinking conceptually rather than in English words. Made a huge difference!

Good explaination. :)

I speak English and Spanish, and I'm currently learning ASL. I have to take Latin starting next semester, too. I would love to learn Italian, but I at least want to master ASL first!

FWIW - Although I've been Hoh since birth, I didn't learn the language of ASL (I knew thousands of signs, but not the LANGUAGE until I was almost an adult) and this mindset makes a tremendous difference in not only how well you learn, but also how you understand the language ... being open-minded and not trying to make ASL into a "form of English" makes a huge difference. Honest.

Great post! That is sort of my problem. I have to learn the syntax and other grammatical rules, and now I'm trying to drop the English in my head from interfering.

Great post! That is sort of my problem. I have to learn the syntax and other grammatical rules, and now I'm trying to drop the English in my head from interfering.

So true - that is my problem. I think it's one of the hardest things for a late-deafened person. Yes, I has hoh since birth, but I could still hear somewhat and had good speech skills, but since losing my hearing and trying to learn ASL and still keeping up with being verbal or oral with my family and all, I can't just stop the English syntax and take up ASL syntax only. I may have to go the route of PSE and hope that I am not "frowned upon" by the deaf community for it, since I know quite a few others use PSE and not ASL.

I don't think I actually posted about myself or my family members regarding language usage yet...

I'm fluent in English - spoken and written

I consider myself "conversationally fluent" in ASL (I'm working to improve my grammar, and my numerical usage (years, dates, money etc ... just because I don't use them a lot)

I used to be conversationally fluent (especially in terms of written text) in French, however because I haven't used it I've lost a lot ... I'm working to refresh/re-learn my read French (I don't have much need for oral French, however I do like reading French novels/novels translated into French etc).

My BILs family are from Argentina, so they are Bi-lingual in Spanish and English ... some are Trilingual in Spanish, Italian and English or Spanish, English & French.

I am hoping that my infant niece (almost 7months old) will be conversationally Trilingual or Quadra-lingual (4 language). English, Spanish, French & ASL. She's currently being exposed to English (primarily), Spanish and ASL & will start learning French once she enters pre-school or Kindergarten (Because English & French are our Country's official languages, French language instruction is mandatory here until I believe 6th or 8th grade)

I know this has been addressed already, but to clarify...

ASL:
Is a true language, because it has it's own distinct grammar, verb conjugations, etc which are wholly separate from English (or any other language)

PSE is Pidgin Signed English (not pigeon... that's a bird)
Is a "mish-mash" or causal combining of two or more languages into a form of communicating. It has not fixed grammar, or grammar rules - rather it borrows grammar from parts of the languages used to form the Pidgin. Other examples of pidgin languages are Creole, "Franglais" (French and English) which uses both English & French words, cross-applying conjugations etc and is often used by people fluent in both French and English. also a Spanish & Italian mix which is used by people living in countries where many families use both Italian and Spanish (Argentina etc)

SEE
is not a language, rather it is a manual code of English ... basically it is a fully intacted version of English (grammar included) that is made visible on the hands.

If someone is Fluent in ASL, SEE I/II & PSE they would be tri-modal* , but uni-lingual. If they were fluent in ASL, SEE I/II, PSE and English they would be quadra-modal & bi-lingual.

*(modal meaning a mode/means of communicating)

im quadra-modal English written and oral, Rochester method asl fingerspelling , block/print on palm sign language

im learning French, Russian, German, block/print on palm and written

Back