Topic for a Research Writing Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
and make a regular visit to Tutoring Center. Most (or all) colleges provide it for free.

I am part of Student Support Service, they provide tutoring.

If you wish to improve your grammar, I recommend reading. Yes, reading. Read anything. "Reader's Digest". Novels. Fiction. Non-fiction. Textbooks. Anything... reading always helps to improve grammar and vocabulary.

Its not an overnight fix, but it does work very well.

Good advise, deafdave.

All the talk about "make it easy on yourself", "switch to an easy professor", etc. The purpose of attending college is to get an education. It certainly is not cheap to do so. Why waste your time and money trying to get out of learning instead of putting yourself in a position to learn?

So are you saying I am trying to take the easy way out?? If you are that is completely untrue. This will be my second time to take this class even though writing is my favorite thing to do. I failed the last time because I did choose a hard topic, and my intructors response, choose something there is a lot of information about. That's the problem with the PROFESSORS in online studies, they could care less about actually EDUCATING. All they have to do is assign the work, compare it to an already made guideline, and can choose to fail you over stupid stuff, so you do have to PAY more for taking the classes over. I plan on passing this time even if it does mean not living up to my fullest potential.

I am part of Student Support Service, they provide tutoring.

Yes, they do. Anytime you are registered with Institutional Equity, as all deaf students should be, you can have a tutor written into your accommodations. And, in case you don't know, Meg, you can request that your tutor be fluent in sign.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people want to take the easy way out instead of actually being personally responsible and making a little effort towards an education.:shock: I wouldn't recommend you following that example, jasmine4lakshmi.

All the talk about "make it easy on yourself", "switch to an easy professor", etc. The purpose of attending college is to get an education. It certainly is not cheap to do so. Why waste your time and money trying to get out of learning instead of putting yourself in a position to learn?

Actually no. Don't view it as an easy way out. College is never easy but there is "smart learning." You just gotta allocate appropriate amount of time and focus on certain subjects. No need to put unnecessary stress or burden to yourself just for one assignment. No need to make it more difficult than it is. Just do the assignments as required and get a good grade on it. That way - you can focus on your major studies. That's what you pay mostly for. All others... it's just extra and no need to stress over it... unless you're a masochist and you want to enjoy suffering for every single course and assignment to make it perfect. Reserve your stress and focus only on your major degree. That is a smart student. :cool2:

So are you saying I am trying to take the easy way out?? If you are that is completely untrue. This will be my second time to take this class even though writing is my favorite thing to do. I failed the last time because I did choose a hard topic, and my intructors response, choose something there is a lot of information about. That's the problem with the PROFESSORS in online studies, they could care less about actually EDUCATING. All they have to do is assign the work, compare it to an already made guideline, and can choose to fail you over stupid stuff, so you do have to PAY more for taking the classes over. I plan on passing this time even if it does mean not living up to my fullest potential.

No, that wasn't what I was saying at all. You misunderstood. I was saying that was the recommendation of other posters, and that you shouldn't follow that advise. The care you are taking in selecting a debate topic shows that you take your studies seriously.

If you want a topic that has a lot of research available, try something that includes an ethical component. One of the first things that comes to mind, after stem cell research, as I mentioned before, would be a topic like Physician Assisted Suicide. It would be easy to compare and contrast the policies of other countries with U.S. policy to list the pros and cons. You can also compare and contrast the policies of individual states, and how they have affected the request by patients for Physician Assisted Suicide.

The ethics of stem cell research, as well, should be easy to access a lot of articles giving both sides of the issue.

At any rate, no matter which you choose to write about, select a topic that has plenty of research from both pro and con sides.

Actually no. Don't view it as an easy way out. College is never easy but there is "smart learning." You just gotta allocate appropriate amount of time and focus on certain subjects. No need to put unnecessary stress or burden to yourself just for one assignment. No need to make it more difficult than it is. Just do the assignments as required and get a good grade on it. That way - you can focus on your major studies. That's what you pay mostly for. All others... it's just extra and no need to stress over it... unless you're a masochist and you want to enjoy suffering for every single course and assignment to make it perfect. Reserve your stress and focus only on your major degree. That is a smart student. :cool2:

That is a student without a well rounded education, and generally one with a lower GPA.

I believe this is very true. I think it is good advice.

No, that wasn't what I was saying at all. You misunderstood. I was saying that was the recommendation of other posters, and that you shouldn't follow that advise. The care you are taking in selecting a debate topic shows that you take your studies seriously.

If you want a topic that has a lot of research available, try something that includes an ethical component. One of the first things that comes to mind, after stem cell research, as I mentioned before, would be a topic like Physician Assisted Suicide. It would be easy to compare and contrast the policies of other countries with U.S. policy to list the pros and cons. You can also compare and contrast the policies of individual states, and how they have affected the request by patients for Physician Assisted Suicide.

The ethics of stem cell research, as well, should be easy to access a lot of articles giving both sides of the issue.

At any rate, no matter which you choose to write about, select a topic that has plenty of research from both pro and con sides.

Ok, I apologize, I misunderstood. I know that I do not have to rely on the opinions of others but it does help me to get an idea of what will be a good topic. I agree with you, about choosing a topic that has an ethical component. Thank you for your suggestions and comments. Again, I am sorry about the post earlier. I misunderstood you.

Ok, I apologize, I misunderstood. I know that I do not have to rely on the opinions of others but it does help me to get an idea of what will be a good topic. I agree with you, about choosing a topic that has an ethical component. Thank you for your suggestions and comments. Again, I am sorry about the post earlier. I misunderstood you.

Not a problem. The important thing is that we got it straightened out. ;)

That is a student without a well rounded education, and generally one with a lower GPA.

You're talking about a lazy slacker who breeze thru the courses, contented with getting a passing grade... like a C or D. Smart student knows how to allocate right amount of time and effort on each course. A history/english-major student should not unnecessarily put a lot of time and effort to get a perfect or near-perfect A in chemistry or math course as these courses are useless and irrelevant to his major but are needed in order to satisfy the general requirement. Getting an B or above in any courses not related to major is pretty good!

Just don't pick hard topic. Your primary concern is to pass the course with a good grade. I know you love writing but I'm sure you love more to see a diploma with your degree on your hand. :cool2:

Good luck on finding topic! Let us know what you decided on

You're talking about a lazy slacker who breeze thru the courses, contented with getting a passing grade... like a C or D. Smart student knows how to allocate right amount of time and effort on each course. A history/english-major student should not unnecessarily put a lot of time and effort to get a perfect or near-perfect A in chemistry or math course as these courses are useless and irrelevant to his major but are needed in order to satisfy the general requirement. Getting an B or above in any courses not related to major is pretty good!

Just don't pick hard topic. Your primary concern is to pass the course with a good grade. I know you love writing but I'm sure you love more to see a diploma with your degree on your hand. :cool2:

Good luck on finding topic! Let us know what you decided on

Getting an "A" in a class that does not challenge you is not the same as getting a well rounded education. If you haven't learned anything, and haven't been challenged to expand your knowledge base, that "A" doesn't mean much.

No course is irrelevent to your major. Whatever you choose to do, you will need a wide knowledge base to be successful.

I don't want a degree I haven't earned. It is useless.

Getting an "A" in a class that does not challenge you is not the same as getting a well rounded education. If you haven't learned anything, and haven't been challenged to expand your knowledge base, that "A" doesn't mean much.

No course is irrelevent to your major. Whatever you choose to do, you will need a wide knowledge base to be successful.

I don't want a degree I haven't earned. It is useless.

In other words, you're lazy.

I have no degrees, but I have a job that requires a degree. I'm just that good.

Beside, going to school and learn what the teacher has to teach. Did you know that teacher reads the book that we read in class before the school starts? The only reason why we have teacher is to help us understand the book better.

I have no problem understanding the books, but I have problem with the teacher trying to change my way of thinking.

Beside, it's the work you do that impresses. Not the degree that impresses. But then the people won't hire unless you're a graduate with a degree. Looks like the only way is to design your cover letter to grab attention and make them want to meet you in person.

Jillio, it's okay to be lazy. Bill Gates didn't do anything and his company went to top of line. Bill Gates is number one richest and most lazy guy I can think of. Second is Bush.

I have no degrees, but I have a job that requires a degree. I'm just that good.

Beside, going to school and learn what the teacher has to teach. Did you know that teacher reads the book that we read in class before the school starts? The only reason why we have teacher is to help us understand the book better.

I have no problem understanding the books, but I have problem with the teacher trying to change my way of thinking.

Beside, it's the work you do that impresses. Not the degree that impresses. But then the people won't hire unless you're a graduate with a degree. Looks like the only way is to design your cover letter to grab attention and make them want to meet you in person.

Jillio, it's okay to be lazy. Bill Gates didn't do anything and his company went to top of line. Bill Gates is number one richest and most lazy guy I can think of. Second is Bush.

And what job would that be? The last I heard you were attending a trade school and not interested in earning a degree.

Bill Gates is hardly lazy.

Now how about if we get back on topic?

Hey guys,

This thread is going offtopic again. Respect the creator's thread about Topic for a Research writing class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back