Tolerance for GLBT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard people call same-sex couples living together an "alternative lifestyle." Am I not supposed to say that?
No, you're not. And, it's not offensive or anti-PC. Just call GLB folks, GLB folks rather then those that have alternative lifestyles.

There's nothing alternative about GBLTQI couples and their lives. They shop at the same stores as heterosexual couples, work at the same places, have grandparents and parents and children and grandchildren.

That's like calling black people living the "alternative lifestyle" when you stereotype them as talking in ebonics or gang speak and rob anything that isn't nailed down and raping anything that moves.

Just can just say your opinion that don't like the way they live, and leave it at that. There's nothing politically correct about singling them out by calling their lives "alternate."

Rose Immortal said:
I think. I've heard people call same-sex couples living together an "alternative lifestyle." Am I not supposed to say that?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm seriously asking because I don't know...
Actually, the phrase "alternative lifestyle" was originally devoloped as a less offensive way to say, "living in sin". Another "polite" phrase was "non-traditional family unit".

Before the "free love" sixties, anyone living in a non-traditional arrangement in America was referred to as "living in sin" or not even discussed at all. Most "non-traditional" people either lived in remote areas (such as rural polygamous groups) or very privately (such as homosexual couples). Unmarried couples were looked down upon as "shacking up". It was considered very low class and sinful to live that way.

During the sixties, almost an entire generation began to rebel against societies norms. "Free love" was the slogan. It was "in" for couples to live together without marriage, and "commune" living also became popular. No one wanted to be considered judgmental or old-fashioned (heaven forbid!) so more "acceptable" terminology was developed in the media (wishy-washy-ism).

Since that time, all kinds of household arrangements have become popular and acceptable. The traditional married mom and dad with children is becoming more rare. Homosexual couples, unmarried hetero couples, never-married moms of multiple-sired kids, etc., now demand equal status with traditional families.

"Alternative" implies something is just one other choice out of many equally valid choices. Like "alternative" fuels. Or "satellite TV is an alternative to cable TV." Or "the intersection was blocked, so I took the alternate route to work." It doesn't carry the "good" vs. "bad" judgment of other phrases.

Just a little "word history" lesson. :D

Thank you Dennis.
Actually Reba, you are right....the phrase "alternative lifestyles" is mostly used by the type of people who are Focus on the Family devotees.
However, those so called lifestyles existed LONG LONG LONG before the free love sixties. Ever read some books about the early years of women's colleges in the US? It was just not talked about the way anything that deviated from the happy hetrosexual middle class family norm wasn't talked about.

Reba said:
Actually, the phrase "alternative lifestyle" was originally devoloped as a less offensive way to say, "living in sin". Another "polite" phrase was "non-traditional family unit".

Before the "free love" sixties, anyone living in a non-traditional arrangement in America was referred to as "living in sin" or not even discussed at all. Most "non-traditional" people either lived in remote areas (such as rural polygamous groups) or very privately (such as homosexual couples). Unmarried couples were looked down upon as "shacking up". It was considered very low class and sinful to live that way.

During the sixties, almost an entire generation began to rebel against societies norms. "Free love" was the slogan. It was "in" for couples to live together without marriage, and "commune" living also became popular. No one wanted to be considered judgmental or old-fashioned (heaven forbid!) so more "acceptable" terminology was developed in the media (wishy-washy-ism).

Since that time, all kinds of household arrangements have become popular and acceptable. The traditional married mom and dad with children is becoming more rare. Homosexual couples, unmarried hetero couples, never-married moms of multiple-sired kids, etc., now demand equal status with traditional families.

"Alternative" implies something is just one other choice out of many equally valid choices. Like "alternative" fuels. Or "satellite TV is an alternative to cable TV." Or "the intersection was blocked, so I took the alternate route to work." It doesn't carry the "good" vs. "bad" judgment of other phrases.

Just a little "word history" lesson. :D

Source?

deafdyke said:
Thank you Dennis.
Actually Reba, you are right....the phrase "alternative lifestyles" is mostly used by the type of people who are Focus on the Family devotees.
No, that is NOT what I said.

"Alternative lifestyles" was first used by the LIBERAL media as an euphamism for "living in sin". The LIBERAL media wanted to take the "sin" out of shacking up.

Conservative people prefer to use more precise terms like "out of wedlock", "sodomy", "promescuity", "homosexual", etc.

Liberal people prefer to use softer "feel good" terms like "gay", "free love", "swinger", "open minded", "sexual variety", etc.

However, those so called lifestyles existed LONG LONG LONG before the free love sixties. Ever read some books about the early years of women's colleges in the US? It was just not talked about the way anything that deviated from the happy hetrosexual middle class family norm wasn't talked about.
I didn't say that homosexual activity was non-existant before the 60's. I said that it was more hidden, or not talked about, just as most sexual activity was not made public. The 60's brought all kinds of sexual activities out into the open.

In the past, for example, there might be a couple of ladies living together for many years. They traveled together, shopped together, never dated men, and seemed comfortable in their situation. They were lesbians. But they kept their sexuality private, and no one bothered them about it. They didn't have a parade to celebrate their lives, or wear t-shirts proclaiming it; they just lived their lives. That's the way it used to be.

I know that it is hard to believe now but when I was a kid I never knew about homosexual people. I don't think I really heard about homosexuals until I was about 18 years old. I didn't personally know any until many years later. I asked Hubby, and he said he didn't know about homosexuals until mid or late teens, also. That's just the way it was.

IcedTeaRulz said:
Snoopy aka Heath??? Ummmm.... :confused:
\
Yes its him Heath, he use color on the words like blue or red and see he has no common sense, hes sooo busted :smoking:

Oakley_04 said:
\
Yes its him Heath, he use color on the words like blue or red and see he has no common sense, hes sooo busted :smoking:

You must be right! :smash:

deafdyke said:
No, you're not. And, it's not offensive or anti-PC. Just call GLB folks, GLB folks rather then those that have alternative lifestyles.

:roll: Whatever...

Alternative lifestyles" was first used by the LIBERAL media as an euphamism for "living in sin". The LIBERAL media wanted to take the "sin" out of shacking up.

Conservative people prefer to use more precise terms like "out of wedlock", "sodomy", "promescuity", "homosexual", etc.

Liberal people prefer to use softer "feel good" terms like "gay", "free love", "swinger", "open minded", "sexual variety", etc.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all, the media is NOT "liberal" Countless studies have shown that even "libral" papers are quite conservative.
Second of all....... not all libral people are sexually libral. God, equating homosexuality with things like promestcuity, is EXTREMELY wrong!
Most of the other kinks exist b/c of people being into the KINKY factor of things! Yes, there are a few GLBers who are GLB b/c to them it's just so exotic and KINKY and TrEnDy!:barf: But most GLB people are GLB due to other reasons. And the term alternative lifestyle makes it sound like our lives are completely different from hetrosexual folks. Our lives are pretty simlair
Oh, and Reba.......did you know that sodomy isn't nessarily a certain type of sex? (I don't want to get graphic) It can ALSO mean acts that go outside the missonary position.....Oh, and the reason why sodomy has pretty much disappaeared as a word is b/c it is innaccurate. The traditional interpretation of that story is that the Sodomites got destroyed b/c they engaged in that sort of stuff. But the Bible says that Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed b/c of INHOSPITALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back