to those BORN with severe-profound hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes think the only reason why audis push At home FM use is so they can sell more technology.

I personally hated the FM system when I was at school for the same reason as Love Zebras but now I'm at work and only have to concentrate on one person, it's great, I wouldn't go without it.

One of the complaints in the UK at least is that students don't like to feel isolated when using FM system. They feel blocked off from the other students.

That's even with there FM program set up as FM+M as well :)

is it because they only hear the teacher and not the students??? My daughter has one for school....

is it because they only hear the teacher and not the students??? My daughter has one for school....
When connected to FM system, Lotte's processor has the option for both scenarios: hearing the teacher and surround sounds or only the teacher..

The supreme court refused to define a limit on "non-academic and extra-curricular activities".

The use of supplementary aids can be used within the home environment, I am 100% certain of that.

Beyond the facts of the matter, I wouldn't have been able to get that SELPA policy changed if that weren't in fact true. I don't have time to search for more "proof" beyond the actual law itself and the other link I already provided. When (and if) I have the time to search, maybe I'll post something else.

Parents just need to be aware of this fact, and assert their child's rights if they believe it may be of benefit to them.

The OP is a parent of a DHH child herself and resides within the United States. This fact may prove to be useful information for her in the future.

Good points indeed! All too often School Districts will deny the request banking on the assumption that the parents will neither push back nor be versed enough on the relevant laws and regulations.
Rick

CI's and HA's can be configured so that the mic/t-coil ratio is 50/50 or all t coil or some mic the audi can play with it so that you also are picking up sounds from the ha while the t-coil is on so that you can hear the teacher and students around you. However, I never found this beneficial because I still couldn't really understand. Although FM plus CART works well. Computerized notetakers write down everythinggg so if I miss what the teacher says or a student says it's written down so I can just read a long or check back for what was said which is handy. I'm no longer in school though but when I was it was handy in the classroom to have CART as well.

If both you're children are going to go the hearing aid route just make sure they get to utilize all adaptive technology and resources. So FM, notetakers, etc.

I personally find even tho my HAs were 50% FM 50% Mic I still struggled as Mics on HAs don't pick up as well like they do when out of the FM program.

Having a note takers does help greatly.

I sometimes think the only reason why audis push At home FM use is so they can sell more technology.

Yup. I've heard stories. I've actually heard that the rules about whether you can get gov't assistance to purchase an FM system for adults have changed due to some of the less ethical dispenser audis pushing them on people, not offering any support or instruction, and so the user would just leave it in a box in the closet. Just gossip, mind you.

From everything you just put up, it looks like it is intended to be for activities occurring at the school;outside the educational environment only seems to be used to mean no only during instruction in the classroom.

I actually just came across a link that says you can take the FM home, if it's written into the IEP:

Q. The school has gotten an FM system for my child that has really helped. We would like to use it at home too. Can we?
A. Yes, if it is written into her IEP that she needs it at home and at school. Learning goes on both at home and at school. If it helps her at school, it may also help her at home.​

I think it depends on the jurisdiction though, we certainly can't do that here (Toronto, Canada).

What I was really looking was a tip sheet on teaching kindy kids to use the mic properly, since apparently the mic doesn't get passed around at school because the other kids use it to smash things!

Hey look; all three of the CI parents have posted here now, even though the OP clearly wanted only people born deaf/HOH. Again with trying to show they are the experts on childhood deafness here in AD. Who would have thunk it?

I actually just came across a link that says you can take the FM home, if it's written into the IEP:

Q. The school has gotten an FM system for my child that has really helped. We would like to use it at home too. Can we?
A. Yes, if it is written into her IEP that she needs it at home and at school. Learning goes on both at home and at school. If it helps her at school, it may also help her at home.​

I think it depends on the jurisdiction though, we certainly can't do that here (Toronto, Canada).

In Canada, obviously IDEA doesn't apply so it's of no use to Canadians... If you are a citizen of the United States, it does apply- regardless of jurisdiction.

Glad you posted the link.

It's important for parents to be accurately informed about the laws that support and protect their children and their rights.

Or it might make her look stupid and turn the people she wants on her side.

Right... And on the contrary, she may feel "stupid" for not asserting her child's rights when the law was clearly on her child's side.

Knowledge is power. Parents need to be educated about the rights of their children, and the rights they possess as guardians.

Special postcards = your baseless paranoia. Post a photo or it doesn't exist (hint: it just doesn't exist). It's your self-styled "little piggies" who have conducted the terrorizing offline and the posting on AD of personal information, names, workplaces, harassing the children of posters, and even posting google maps of posters' homes.

Special postcards = your baseless paranoia. Post a photo or it doesn't exist (hint: it just doesn't exist). It's your self-styled "little piggies" who have conducted the terrorizing offline and the posting on AD of personal information, names, workplaces, harassing the children of posters, and even posting google maps of posters' homes.

They left, did they? So apparently you all have your work done. Why did you all bring them up again and again. They are way gone already last year. How about you all, it's time to move on, and be happy.

Suzanne, you are going to get valuable insight from those who were born with severe-profound loss about their lives. Unfortunately, you're also getting a lot of misinformation when those who know well what it meant to be deaf 30, 40, 50 years ago, and what the technology and educational options were like then, attempt to extrapolate that knowledge to what it means to be born deaf today, what educational options exist today, what technologies are available, and how deaf children are doing/feeling about their options today. Take the feedback from someone born deaf 40, 50 years ago as important, but remember that it's a very different world today for your toddler than that which some here have faced.

You, yourself, are very much the expert on raising a child with a hearing loss given that you have an older child doing so well with hearing aids. You've got great feedback available from parents like Csign whose child is in school, using sign, and is successful with hearing aids. You've got great input here from several parents of children born like yours, severe-profound, who have all used HAs and later CIs and whose kids have attended a range of deaf schools and mainstream environments in recent years and are experiencing their children's reactions to their options and choices in real time. Consider that there's value in input from both these groups.

Those who didn't want you to hear about how children are doing today made sure that your thread asking for info from the parents of today's kids was filled with their arguments and then closed. You have asked in two places for input, but with the one venue addressed specifically to parents of deaf children hijacked and then closed, it's not clear how to get the information to you you asked for.

They left, did they? So apparently you all have your work done. Why did you all bring them up again and again. They are way gone already last year. How about you all, it's time to move on, and be happy.

It wasn't me who brought it up, Frisky. See the post prior to mine. And it's not ancient history: as recently as this summer a current poster continued the harassment on AD.

Suzanne, you are going to get valuable insight from those who were born with severe-profound loss about their lives. Unfortunately, you're also getting a lot of misinformation when those who know well what it meant to be deaf 30, 40, 50 years ago, and what the technology and educational options were like then, attempt to extrapolate that knowledge to what it means to be born deaf today, what educational options exist today, what technologies are available, and how deaf children are doing/feeling about their options today. Take the feedback from someone born deaf 40, 50 years ago as important, but remember that it's a very different world today for your toddler than that which some here have faced.

You, yourself, are very much the expert on raising a child with a hearing loss given that you have an older child doing so well with hearing aids. You've got great feedback available from parents like Csign sign, and is successful with hearing aids. You've got great input here from several parents of children born like yours, severe-profound, who have all used HAs and later CIs and whose kids have attended a range of deaf schools and mainstream environments in recent years and are experiencing their children's reactions to their options and choices in real time. Consider that there's value in input from both these groups.

Those who didn't want you to hear about how children are doing today made sure that your thread asking for info from the parents of today's kids was filled with their arguments and then closed. You have asked in two places for input, but with the one venue addressed specifically to parents of deaf children hijacked and then closed, it's not clear how to get the information to you you asked for.

Sorry Grendel, I disagree that things are different. There have ALWAYS been audilogically deaf kids who are functionally hoh.....and indeed there have always been HOH kids. HOH kids STILL deal with the same issues as deafer kids...about the only difference is that they have more exposure to sound/speech. if hearing parents don't recognize that hoh kids deal with a lot of the same problems and experiance the same issues as deafer kids, they won't be ready for those problems and issues when they crop up. heck, I'm audilogically hoh, and can hear very well with aids. Infact I am an aural learner. But my experiance growing up was IDENTICAL to a deafer kids experiance.

I had an fm system I could take home with me and I found the only thing I would use it for besides school was music and then later with the phone but the iCom (wireless streamer) does the same thing I can plug into music and use bluetooth with it for the phone and it's no longer much use to me. Your daughter however may like it with use for music if the iCom is affordable/if she wears phonak. You could use boots and the adaptor on the bottom of the iCom but that would be more expensive.

My daughter has phonak aids......she does have access to it her Fm system for after school activites.....even at home but we dont have any use for it here as of now. We were asked if we wanted to take it over summer but we said no need. we didnt want her to depend on it daily. On bike rides and outside we can still get her attention. her brother on the other most likely will need one for such activites since his loss is more severe. I have never had anything "pushed" on me technology wise buy any audiologist and we deal with 3 of them right now. Even in the past before we moved never had the issue. I guess I maybe lucky if that were to occur. I have switched audiologist once cause I didnt feel like she knew what she was doing. My daughter loss is stable not progressive for now that is..you
never know. but the audiologist kept messing with the volume and my daughter would say they are too loud! I vented my concerns and they were still not met so I said screw it ..I switched. Anyways our school so far is great with the FM but I am dealing with the FM turning off one of her aids.....I posted that in another thread "technology" one and still at a loss on what the heck is going on. But her team is good about checking them throughout the day to make sure they stay on. But still there are days when only one is off.

My daughter has phonak aids......she does have access to it her Fm system for after school activites.....even at home but we dont have any use for it here as of now. We were asked if we wanted to take it over summer but we said no need. we didnt want her to depend on it daily. On bike rides and outside we can still get her attention. her brother on the other most likely will need one for such activites since his loss is more severe. I have never had anything "pushed" on me technology wise buy any audiologist and we deal with 3 of them right now. Even in the past before we moved never had the issue. I guess I maybe lucky if that were to occur. I have switched audiologist once cause I didnt feel like she knew what she was doing. My daughter loss is stable not progressive for now that is..you
never know. but the audiologist kept messing with the volume and my daughter would say they are too loud! I vented my concerns and they were still not met so I said screw it ..I switched. Anyways our school so far is great with the FM but I am dealing with the FM turning off one of her aids.....I posted that in another thread "technology" one and still at a loss on what the heck is going on. But her team is good about checking them throughout the day to make sure they stay on. But still there are days when only one is off.

It sounds like you need to take your daughter and the FM system to the audiologist. It obviously shouldn't be doing that.

Anyways our school so far is great with the FM but I am dealing with the FM turning off one of her aids.....I posted that in another thread "technology" one and still at a loss on what the heck is going on. But her team is good about checking them throughout the day to make sure they stay on. But still there are days when only one is off.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but here the school board employs an educational audiologist who should take care of this stuff. Get in touch with them and get it fixed!

"In theory" they should hear both. But at my son's school, the mic doesn't get passed around to the students because they misbehave with it. But of course, no one told me this until I asked directly. And no one was doing anything to fix the situation. Frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back