tired old scare tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just get their info. from other people, especially on politics. You'll be surprised how many people never went to a public library. So, I don't see how computers made it worst.

Increased access. More unreliable sources.

Increased access. More unreliable sources.

well, it is not going away:) Unless you want the gov't take control of free speech. Also, I read SO many books that is outdated and false, so books are no better. Read what people use to read to get their educated opinion from: http://www.gutenberg.org <--- so many unreliable sources.

But that person got Usher's syndrome.... meaning they will lose vision and or hearing. Some lose complete sight and complete hearing with it, depending on what kind of Usher's syndrome it is.

Another variable that was accounted for in that debate.

that person can still use braille-computer... like Hear Again. She was about to peruse thru massive amount of knowledge in short time because of computer. a significant advantage over a blind person without a computer because one has to go to library, retrieve it or place a request on book that is in other town or wherever - sometimes not.

LH, old books with outdated information are useful for historical research. Gutenberg also has a lot of old literature. Only books whose copy right has expired are posted there. I recommend getting some Jane Austen there! Love her work.

Well, I don't know about the people you associate with, but I know plenty of people that utilize the library resources....both before and after the computer revolution.

You are correct. Many people don't even own a computer, and many that do use it only for entertainment purposes, not educational purposes.

They just get their info. from other people, especially on politics. You'll be surprised how many people never went to a public library. So, I don't see how computers made it worst.

I can.

And coming from a house that was pretty strict in what we were allowed to have... (like I never got a cellphone until I was 19 or 20) and so on....

Computers can make it worse because it adds more distractions ontop of the already existing distractions.

computer is a tool. one can utilize a tool effectively. one can't. for those who can utilize it effectively and smartly, one gets ahead of his equal self with no computer.

well, it is not going away:) Unless you want the gov't take control of free speech. Also, I read SO many books that is outdated and false, so books are no better. Read what people use to read to get their educated opinion from: Main Page - Gutenberg <--- so many unreliable sources.

Oh, Lighthouse, books are much better than some unconfirmed source on the internet.:cool2:

that person can still use braille-computer... like Hear Again. She was about to peruse thru massive amount of knowledge in short time because of computer. a significant advantage over a blind person without a computer because one has to go to library, retrieve it or place a request on book that is in other town or wherever - sometimes not.

90% of the blind population don't even know how to read Braille. I should know Braille, but I don't. Most of the blind support there are auditory only. If blind technology wasn't so auditory-dependent, maybe I would be inclined to use them more often. Braille technology is waaaaaaaaaay too expensive and is often used as a last-resort technology.

Now, Hear Again is lucky enough to know Braille. However people like dreama... are not so fortunate in understanding how Braille typewriters and such work. Noticed her disappearance?

Jiro, you young whippersnapper! Us old folks got our education before computers and we are very educated. There's this place called a LIBRARY and you research with DEWEY DECIMAL FILES. We typed our papers on TYPEWRITERS. I know that's hard to believe! lol

computer is a tool. one can utilize a tool effectively. one can't. for those who can utilize it effectively and smartly, one gets ahead of his equal self with no computer.

Ahead how? We are right back to the statement that the only advantage is speed.

Wouldn't that "speed" (all things considered equal) allow that person to reach their goal more quickly. Isn't that the same argument that was used for an able-bodied person using SSI for attending school rather than working their way through school?

No, not necessarily. And quickness has virtually nothing to do with the quality of an education.

No, that isn't the argument used for SSI to attend school. SSDI is permantly total disability. It's purpose is not to provide for vocational or educational rehab.

oh? so why did military and universities create ARPANET (now called as Internet)? it's obviously because this allow people of great minds to reach the goal more quickly.

Jiro, you young whippersnapper! Us old folks got our education before computers and we are very educated. There's this place called a LIBRARY and you research with DEWEY DECIMAL FILES. We typed our papers on TYPEWRITERS. I know that's hard to believe! lol

Half of my life was on that :lol:

ah... that was a good time where everybody takes their time and enjoy the moment... something that these youths nowadays don't understand. everything's gotta be hurry hurry hurry! :roll:

oh? so why did military and universities create ARPANET (now called as Internet)? it's obviously because this allow people of great minds to reach the goal more quickly.

You are attributing motive where there is nothing to support it.

Why does Jiro seems to have the concept of "one fits all" methodology in his head right now?

I have no idea, but it is apparent in more than one thread tonight.

From weaving through posts and my special ignore guest...

There is a reason FCC is pushing for broadband access all over the US.

I can attest to the fact - If I did not have a computer I wouldn't know the things I know now.

Why does Jiro seems to have the concept of "one fits all" methodology in his head right now?

a better question is - why is one thinking computer is more of a distraction than useful tool? why is one not acknowledging the computer's usefulness when in fact one is using computer for his gain? :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back