This is making me so angry! ASD former teacher molested a minor right in her own home

Kitty82 said:
why is it that important that the whole world need to know what she majors in? What she majors in is not relevant to this case.

How would u feel if you were in her shoes, the whole world knows she has been accused of this heinous crime, However when the times comes that she is found not guilty. The people will still remember her as someone that has been accused of sexual assault, no matter what.
yes. ditto. thank you! and indeed, it is sad.

judgement is what makes the world so ugly, mr. gotta-be-right. or do you really know her?

why is it that important that the whole world need to know what she majors in? What she majors in is not relevant to this case.

How would u feel if you were in her shoes, the whole world knows she has been accused of this heinous crime, However when the times comes that she is found not guilty. The people will still remember her as someone that has been accused of sexual assault, no matter what.
To point out that even a person with a clean history can do wrong.

Agreed. But the report also said that they have over 3000 text messages, some of them explicit, that were exchanged between her and some of her students. That doesn't look good.

It depends on how "explicit" is defined. it could be 3 messages out of 3000 that is explicit that were exchanged by BOTH julie and her student. It could also mean that her students may have sent her explicit messages.

Remember, the media LOVES to make a small situation a BIG situation and make things sounds worse than it actually is! :)

If a student was sending her explicit text message, as a responsible adult and teacher, she should have reported such, not responded to it. She is an adult, and the student in question is a minor. That would indicate that she should not be acting the same way as a 15 year old might act, but is responsible for setting a proper example.

Three explicit text message between a 27 year old adult in a position of authority over children and a 15 year old is still 3 too many. It doesn't matter if they were texting about sexual activity or engaging in sexual activity. Her actions are still innappropriate.

IF the time comes that she is found not guilty.

According to what we know of the case, she has placed herself in a compromising position that put her at risk of being accused of these crimes. She was exchanging explicit text messages with at least one student, and she did have a 15 year old student in her home. If nothing else, she is not exhibiting the good judgement one would expect from someone who is responsible for children.

Yep you're right about some teachers being falsely accused. I'm not saying this child may be lying, all I'm saying is I don't know the teacher or the student personally and I wasn't there when it happened.

Agreed.

I would rather wait to hear the truth, some people seem to judge too soon. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of court. ;)

and what is worse it happens in the home outside of school hours. This is definitely a no no for us teachers as we are required by strict boundary not to have students around the home as per se for safety reasons such as things like this. I dont really know what those two were thinking off and it just so sad as she is a responsible adult in an education field taking advantage of young students is just soo sad. Let this be an valuable lessons for all teachers in the education field whether deaf or hearing.

If every one's innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the court... then why are there some innocent people sitting in prisons all over the world today? Are they deemed guilty as well, or are they the victim of a judicial system that fails people every now and then?

if they were truly innocent, then yes, they were victims of the judical system. It is unfortunate but it does happen. Wish it didnt.

This is appalling, but then again, a lot of teachers are being blamed for what happens to kids these days. It's really sad.

In QLD (I don't know about other states, but I know for a fact that NSW has same system as QLD), the Government does background checks for people who are applying for a Positive Suitability Card (otherwise known as Blue Card) to be eligible to work with children. All people who work with children need to have a Blue Card on them.

If a person applies for a Blue Card is found to have a criminal history of any sort (I think?), he/she will be declined and he/she will not be allowed to work with children under 18.

I've had a Blue Card since 2004 - it needs to be renewed every two years - you never know if I happen to acquire a criminal record during the two years I have a Blue Card in my possession.

Does America have something similar?

If every one's innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the court... then why are there some innocent people sitting in prisons all over the world today? Are they deemed guilty as well, or are they the victim of a judicial system that fails people every now and then?

Why ask me, when I'm not the court judge I didn't put those people in prison, it could be from many reasons, maybe from lack of proper police investigation, prosecution witnesses, untrained jurors, evidence disappears, was destroyed or withheld from the court, etc, many reasons.

We can only hope that the judicial system doesn't fail this time.

I have a question though...I have seen many members post about the horrors of child sexual abuse. I've seen members post suggestions for everything from castration to the death penalty for a person accused, but not yet convicted, of child sexual abuse. Why is everyone giving this woman a break? The investigation into the allegations took a full 7 months to complete. After that long of an investigation, they obviously had enough evidence against her to get an arrest warrant based on that evidence. The school even put her on leave until the investigation turned up evidence of her actions, then they fired her. Unless there was solid evidence, they would not have fired her because they could have been liable for a lawsuit for firing without due cause.

There is quite a bit of evidence, obviously, against this woman...more than just an accusation made by a student or a parent. There is evidence to back up the accusation, or they would not have been able to obtain an arrest warrant. So why all the wait and see attitude when in many other threads, people have called for those who sexually abuse children to be strung up and drug through the streets?

I have a question though...I have seen many members post about the horrors of child sexual abuse. I've seen members post suggestions for everything from castration to the death penalty for a person accused, but not yet convicted, of child sexual abuse. Why is everyone giving this woman a break? The investigation into the allegations took a full 7 months to complete. After that long of an investigation, they obviously had enough evidence against her to get an arrest warrant based on that evidence. The school even put her on leave until the investigation turned up evidence of her actions, then they fired her. Unless there was solid evidence, they would not have fired her because they could have been liable for a lawsuit for firing without due cause.

There is quite a bit of evidence, obviously, against this woman...more than just an accusation made by a student or a parent. There is evidence to back up the accusation, or they would not have been able to obtain an arrest warrant. So why all the wait and see attitude when in many other threads, people have called for those who sexually abuse children to be strung up and drug through the streets?

You know what I would advocate as punishment for this woman, but we won't go there. :giggle:

*quietly takes her biased behind out of here now*

"Why is everyone giving this woman a break?" I take offense.

Jillio-

Have you wondered why it took them 7 months? If it was that serious, then it would have moved swifter. Remember, to obtain an arrest warrant, there has to be a PROBABLE cause that a crime occurred. As definied in the wiki, ""Probable cause" is a stronger standard of evidence than a reasonable suspicion, but weaker than what is required to secure a criminal conviction. Even hearsay can supply probable cause if it is from a reliable source or is supported by other evidence."

With that definition, it is easier to obtain arrest warrant, but harder to secure criminal conviction. Which means there will need to be more evidence in order to convict her.

Another thing to keep in mind. If they thought that she posted danger to the community, with the potential chance of sexually assaulting someone else, wouldn't she be detained sooner? It is probably because they had MINIMAL evidence, and not very much evidence to secure her arrest 7 months ago.

The police also likes to charge a person with the HIGHEST possible charge because majority of cases tend to be pleaded down to lesser charge to get conviction. For example She may be accused of sexual assault, but the evidence may point to more of a sexual misconduct which carries less punishment. It is all strategy of the legal system.

"Why is everyone giving this woman a break?" I take offense.

Apologies. I'll rephrase that. Why are some who have spoken out very strongly and advocated severe punishment for others accused of sexual molestation of children giving this woman a break?

Jillio-

Have you wondered why it took them 7 months? If it was that serious, then it would have moved swifter. Remember, to obtain an arrest warrant, there has to be a PROBABLE cause that a crime occurred. As definied in the wiki, ""Probable cause" is a stronger standard of evidence than a reasonable suspicion, but weaker than what is required to secure a criminal conviction. Even hearsay can supply probable cause if it is from a reliable source or is supported by other evidence."

With that definition, it is easier to obtain arrest warrant, but harder to secure criminal conviction. Which means there will need to be more evidence in order to convict her.

Another thing to keep in mind. If they thought that she posted danger to the community, with the potential chance of sexually assaulting someone else, wouldn't she be detained sooner? It is probably because they had MINIMAL evidence, and not very much evidence to secure her arrest 7 months ago.

The police also likes to charge a person with the HIGHEST possible charge because majority of cases tend to be pleaded down to lesser charge to get conviction. For example She may be accused of sexual assault, but the evidence may point to more of a sexual misconduct which carries less punishment. It is all strategy of the legal system.

I took them 7 months because it takes a while to interview all of her students, all of her co-workers, members of her family, and neighbors, not to mention gathering the trail of 3000 plus text messages, and any other hard evidence that is available.

As long as the abuse stopped during the time that the investigation was ongoing, there was no immediate hurry to arrest. They wanted to have sufficient evidence to present a strong case that will be more likely than not to end in a finding a guilt and a prison term.

Sexual assault or sexual misconduct....either one is unnaceptable particularly when coming from the very people who are trusted to protect, not harm, our children.

The question is not whether she posed a danger to the community. The question in this case is, did she engage in sexually innaproriate conduct with this one child. That is what she was arrested for and that is what she is charged with.

Back