This is making me so angry! ASD former teacher molested a minor right in her own home

One thing I think we need is sex abuse prevention education......we need to get up and TELL kids that it's NOT OK for them to be involved in a realtionship with a twentysomething or an adult.

i felt so sick that i know her at RIT and my classmate in one class.

DAMN. [ugh]

jillo, I wouldn't nesscessarly call this a child molester case. She is a sex offender obviously. I do not condone this at ALL. BUT there's a huge difference between this type of sex offense and child molestation.
Yes, most if not all teens don't have the social smarts to handle this type of realtionship. However, there is a diffy between an adult sexually taking advantage of a teen, and classic child molestation......

If the person being molested does not have the skills to handle this type of relationship, then it is most certainly molestation. She has been arrested on sexual assualt charges.

It would be grounds at any school that if an instructor or other school official was having a sexual relationship with a student should be grounds for the revocation of their licensure to teach, listed as a sex offender, and should be barred from working with minors for the rest of their life. Or at least that is the way it should be.

At my high school, a senior was openly dating a history teacher from the middle school. The school more or less sent the message to the student body by not doing anything, by simply just turning their heads and saying they know nothing of it. When her contract expired at the end of the year, it was not renewed and she was replaced. The senior and the teacher are now married with a 6 year old son together. ICK.

One thing I think we need is sex abuse prevention education......we need to get up and TELL kids that it's NOT OK for them to be involved in a realtionship with a twentysomething or an adult.

I think you're right. We teach little kids this, but I think we should carry it through to the older ages as well. How to get that message out is tricky, though. My feeling is that this message should come from the parents, but we have parents abusing their kids, too, so who should be responsible for getting the message out? The schools? The child's pediatrician? :hmm:

I think you're right. We teach little kids this, but I think we should carry it through to the older ages as well. How to get that message out is tricky, though. My feeling is that this message should come from the parents, but we have parents abusing their kids, too, so who should be responsible for getting the message out? The schools? The child's pediatrician? :hmm:

I agree and in all of the travesty of this, I think everyone (parents, teachers, pediatrician, friends, family, so and on) should be able to chip in to send a clear message to teach what is right and what is wrong. Unfortunately, as diverse as it is, one group would say another group should do it or vice versa. It gets to the point where it becomes confusing for the kids to know which one is right or which one isn't. It's like one thing says it and another thing says another.

In retrospect of this, I don't even condone this action as well. The teacher in this case should have known the difference but the kid at 15 years old should be able to know it too since he is old enough to understand the difference.

I agree and in all of the travesty of this, I think everyone (parents, teachers, pediatrician, friends, family, so and on) should be able to chip in to send a clear message to teach what is right and what is wrong. Unfortunately, as diverse as it is, one group would say another group should do it or vice versa. It gets to the point where it becomes confusing for the kids to know which one is right or which one isn't. It's like one thing says it and another thing says another.

In retrospect of this, I don't even condone this action as well. The teacher in this case should have known the difference but the kid at 15 years old should be able to know it too since he is old enough to understand the difference.

I agree it's convoluted. I slightly disagree with you that the child should have known better. Yes, he should have, but the teacher was the authority figure in this case. When we're young, we are tought to respect authority. I think that's where we need to teach kids of all ages that it's OKAY for the child to say NO to the adult! If we did that, maybe the numbers on child sexual abuse would decline? :hmm:

Just another perspective on this.

I agree it's convoluted. I slightly disagree with you that the child should have known better. Yes, he should have, but the teacher was the authority figure in this case. When we're young, we are tought to respect authority. I think that's where we need to teach kids of all ages that it's OKAY for the child to say NO to the adult! If we did that, maybe the numbers on child sexual abuse would decline? :hmm:

Just another perspective on this.

I see where you're coming from. I understand what you meant by that. I might have said it in a "wrong" way. I don't mean it by when a child should disrespect an authority figure. What I meant is, At 15 years old, The child should be able to know the difference whether by respecting or disrespecting the authority figure, only if it is necessary, such as just like this case being in a sexual scandal.

At 5 and 10 years old, It would be very much different because at that age, kids are more obliged to respect the authority even though if the authority figure is right or wrong. I just think at 15 years old, that would give them a better chance to "stand" up to say NO. Also, another problem is, at 15, being guided on, that also sets the "fear" in because at most, they may know it is wrong but they don't want to be the one that causes the trouble. That's kind of scary to be intimidated.

I see where you're coming from. I understand what you meant by that. I might have said it in a "wrong" way. I don't mean it by when a child should disrespect an authority figure. What I meant is, At 15 years old, The child should be able to know the difference whether by respecting or disrespecting the authority figure, only if it is necessary, such as just like this case being in a sexual scandal.

At 5 and 10 years old, It would be very much different because at that age, kids are more obliged to respect the authority even though if the authority figure is right or wrong. I just think at 15 years old, that would give them a better chance to "stand" up to say NO. Also, another problem is, at 15, being guided on, that also sets the "fear" in because at most, they may know it is wrong but they don't want to be the one that causes the trouble. That's kind of scary to be intimidated.

Perhaps. But, there are lots of kids who have been exposed to sexual abuse very early in childhood. These kids have been conditioned to respond a certain way and that's where we have problems. It's the kids who have been repeatedly victimized that I'm addressing. These kids are often programmed to respond a certain way even if they know it's wrong.

Sexual abuse is horrific and I am finding it difficult to blame the victim in this case. In my mind, the authority figure is the one who is wrong; not the kid who is caught up in the situation.

Perhaps. But, there are lots of kids who have been exposed to sexual abuse very early in childhood. These kids have been conditioned to respond a certain way and that's where we have problems. It's the kids who have been repeatedly victimized that I'm addressing. These kids are often programmed to respond a certain way even if they know it's wrong.

Sexual abuse is horrific and I am finding it difficult to blame the victim in this case. In my mind, the authority figure is the one who is wrong; not the kid who is caught up in the situation.

I agree. Of course, Sexual Abuse is a traumatizing thing to experience. Nor I'm not putting the blame on the kid who is being caught up in the situation. The kids should not deserve this. I'm just saying that if it was a one time thing or is not made out of habit, that could have been taken up for a greater measure to be able to be defensive.

You're right about one thing, when they are repeatedly victimized in this situation, they usually are shut down and trained to follow whatever the authority figure tells them to do so. It'd be nice if we all could immediately recognize or to notice it right off the bat but unfortunately, in most case, it is too late before something could be done.

Back