Thinking about Gallaudet next year...

Hayden

Reaction score
I am thinking about being a "visiting student" at Gallaudet for a semester. Does anyone go there that could tell me things they like and don't like about it?

Depending on where you were from, you'll be in a rude awakening on slums surrounding Gallaudet(not on campus), but walk off campus.......

Learning. My family did not let me learn ASL because they thought it would keep me from speaking.

Learning. My family did not let me learn ASL because they thought it would keep me from speaking.

Oh, ALright,

If you are bold enough to stand your own opinion. I am SURE that there are lot of oral students like you do. If you really love to participate lot of activietives such as body government, committment for many organzation, and many clubs.

Gallaudet is for anyone who signs that you are willing to sign all day all night for 24/7. If you think you can do it then WHY NOT!

my hub was the same as you and he learned ASL when he arrived there. There will provide ASL classes for oral deaf kids two week before school starts.

Good luck.

Don't forget about RIT/NTID if your major is not there at gallaudet then check RIT/NTID also.

I am thinking about being a "visiting student" at Gallaudet for a semester. Does anyone go there that could tell me things they like and don't like about it?

One thing is that I dont like about it, outside of gallaudet campus at night is not safe but when you live there for more than a year then you will become familiar with area. You will be ok.

I lived there for 12 yrs and i loved it there.

There have cons and pros but you have to visit there and see for yourself that will answer you.

Oh, ALright,

If you are bold enough to stand your own opinion. I am SURE that there are lot of oral students like you do. If you really love to participate lot of activietives such as body government, committment for many organzation, and many clubs.

Gallaudet is for anyone who signs that you are willing to sign all day all night for 24/7. If you think you can do it then WHY NOT!

my hub was the same as you and he learned ASL when he arrived there. There will provide ASL classes for oral deaf kids two week before school starts.

Good luck.

Don't forget about RIT/NTID if your major is not there at gallaudet then check RIT/NTID also.

I am already in school in Missouri, so I would be a visiting student, so I don't really care if they have my major. I would be going there to experience Deaf culture and work on my signing. I know very little ASL, but it is already so much easier to communicate than by speaking and lipreading. I wish I had learned years ago!

I'm happy it worked out well for your husband! :)

I am already in school in Missouri, so I would be a visiting student, so I don't really care if they have my major. I would be going there to experience Deaf culture and work on my signing. I know very little ASL, but it is already so much easier to communicate than by speaking and lipreading. I wish I had learned years ago!

I'm happy it worked out well for your husband! :)

You sounds very similiar as my hub. He planned to go there for a year but he ended up stay there for 3 and half yrs to finish his BS degree. He did have rough time with those pure ASL users but he had to deal with and overcome it. It was not easy for him. I would think it is a good idea for you to come there to experience Deaf culture and improve your ASL. One semester or a year to transfer credits to your original school to get a complete degree.
I am sure you will like it there

You sounds very similiar as my hub. He planned to go there for a year but he ended up stay there for 3 and half yrs to finish his BS degree. He did have rough time with those pure ASL users but he had to deal with and overcome it. It was not easy for him. I would think it is a good idea for you to come there to experience Deaf culture and improve your ASL. One semester or a year to transfer credits to your original school to get a complete degree.
I am sure you will like it there

I am a fast learner, so hopefully I will do okay. I also have a year before I want to go to get better at ASL.
I want to take a few easy classes while I am there, general education stuff. What did your husband study?

I am a fast learner, so hopefully I will do okay. I also have a year before I want to go to get better at ASL.
I want to take a few easy classes while I am there, general education stuff. What did your husband study?

We both are old. lol, 17 yrs ago, there were too few choices of majors. I do not remember what did he had but i know we both had major for business adminsitration in general. We both have job, thanks to the intership jobs from gallaudet.

I would highly advise against it. Just my 2 cents.

It isn't really hurt to visit Gallaudet and you will gain more experience.

I'm going find my posts that I gave my story about Gallaudet. :)

One thing is that I dont like about it, outside of gallaudet campus at night is not safe but when you live there for more than a year then you will become familiar with area. You will be ok.

I lived there for 12 yrs and i loved it there.

There have cons and pros but you have to visit there and see for yourself that will answer you.

It is very different now...H Street is a totally different street than when you and I went to Gallaudet. It went under a major rennovation and now is a popular area in DC to visit. Also, other parts in the area are improving..all because of the new Metro station by Gallaudet.

Go for it. My experience at Gallaudet was great! Former oral deaf here and now full time ASL user.

It is very different now...H Street is a totally different street than when you and I went to Gallaudet. It went under a major rennovation and now is a popular area in DC to visit. Also, other parts in the area are improving..all because of the new Metro station by Gallaudet.

awesome!!! then what about 9th southeast?

That's cool, but odd. Usually rail stations make an area worse.

Back