The Whiners are Killing us

You're kidding, right? Get a life...

let me count the ways... i have my other half. i have a high-paying job. i own a debt-free four bedrooms house. i'm a member of several clubs and organizations -- example "Big Brother" to help and support the young boys. right now i'm working with young kids at summer camp.

yes, i do get a life. thanks for genuinely caring about my life. you need to get real. the whiner who wrote this article was whining even more than deaf whiners that whiner whined about. why doesn't that whiner do something about it instead of whining about deaf whiners?

some people do like to look for someone to point their fingers at or laying the blame on -- thus deaf whiners were picked as easy targets.

quit whining and do something about it, why don't you [to people who seconded that whiner who whined about deaf whiners] do that?

so easy to whine about. rather than do something about it. am i right, people?

. . . am i right, people?

Preach it, man! I'm with you!!! Another thing I HATE is deaf/hoh people who can't spell or write like they are signing. I got after another poster at another thread that wrote like a fool.

Preach it, man! I'm with you!!! Another thing I HATE is deaf/hoh people who can't spell or write like they are signing. I got after another poster at another thread that wrote like a fool.

Oh...how cruel...not everyone is like you or even lucky enough to have good grammar to support what they wanted to say. I don't see what those values that you have, have to do with this thread anyway?

:gpost: :werd:

I agree with you big time!

I've noticed the same thing as well.

I remember thinking, "Wow, there's a deaf guy on television."

Today, if I see a deaf guy on television or in a movie... I still think, "Cool, there's a deaf guy there."

Do I care if he's deaf enough? Do I care if he signs well?

This reminds me of the Gallaudet protest. The first protest was... "He's not deaf!" The second protest was... "She's not deaf enough!"

Oh yeah, let's not forget the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode that was on television a few months ago. People already complained about the ethics and how well the characters signed. Seriously, it's just a television show. There's no need to get all uptight about how they do things. Ever heard of "The Laws of Television Shows & Movies"?

Rule #1: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Sure, we can compare that episode with reality... but there's no need to bitch and whine about how it's done.

I recently did a thesis on ADA and accommodations. The biggest problem is that deaf people do "drive-by" lawsuits. That is when they sue the company without giving them a chance to improve. They also bitch and whine when the company doesn't provide accommodations... when those accommodations weren't even requested in the first place. Jeez...

Pek, not everyone has had the same advantages as you when it comes to learning English. Just because someone has trouble with English syntax is not an indication that they are not every bit as intelligent, creative, expressive, and capable as you are, and have just as much right as you do to express whatever it is they want to say. If you plan on defending discrimination cases, I would suggest you work on developing your tolerance, because your statement is one of the most discriminatory things you could have said. Shame on you!:mad:

This thread has taken an interesting turn.....

:popcorn:

.. not everyone has had the same advantages as you when it comes to learning English. Just because someone has trouble with English syntax is not an indication that they are not every bit as intelligent, creative, expressive, and capable as you are, and have just as much right as you do to express whatever it is they want to say. If you plan on defending discrimination cases, I would suggest you work on developing your tolerance, because your statement is one of the most discriminatory things you could have said. Shame on you!

*Sing It Sister* :)

I am hearing, My husband and many friends are d/D and HOH and DB and DB with additional conditions. I have worked hard on my ASL proficiency - but - I still get fingertied sometimes and mess up syntax and such.. Not interpreter Me - not yet anyway :)
I would hope my dear friends and acquaintances would gently correct me and not demean or try to embarrass me.
I believe my d/D friends feel the same way where English syntax is concerned.

Anyway, about the deaf actor/actress thing, it is only natural to compare and critique based on what we are, what we have learned, what we do for a living, and so on.

Last edited:
*Sing It Sister* :)

I am hearing, My husband and many friends are d/D and HOH and DB and DB with additional conditions. I have worked hard on my ASL proficiency - but - I still get fingertied sometimes and mess up syntax and such.. Not interpreter Me - not yet anyway :)
I would hope my dear friends and acquaintances would gently correct me and not demean or try to embarrass me.
I believe my d/D friends feel the same way where English syntax is concerned.

Anyway, about the deaf actor/actress thing, it is only natural to compare and critique based on what we are, what we have learned, what we do for a living, and so on.

**nodding agreement**After 20 years of ASL I consider myself to be fluent, but still make mistakes sometimes. But my Deaf friends have always been helpful in thier corrections. Heck, I've been speaking English twice that long, and can still make mistakes!

Oh, and trust me, you don't want to hear me sing!:giggle:

Passive Deaf people are a cancer the the Deaf community!

This is a given, people do not listen to passive ones. The movers, shakers and noisemakers are always remembered, never the quiet ones.

Take that for thought!

Oh...how cruel...not everyone is like you or even lucky enough to have good grammar to support what they wanted to say. I don't see what those values that you have, have to do with this thread anyway?

What I mean is that they write here as if they were signing. Signing and writing are two different ways of communication. If hearing people had to stop and decifer what it is that deaf/hoh people are trying to say when they write, very little work would get accomplished. It has nothing to do with how I am, it has everything to do with being able to communicate effectively. There's a thread around here that a person was writing like they were signing and I just lost it and told him/her to learn how to write. Seriously, if we, as the deaf and hoh, cannot communicate effectively with the world at large, why don't we all just find our own little worlds and make it so no one else can come in. Remember, not everyone is born deaf or hoh, so we have to abide by the rules, which become rules for all.

What I mean is that they write here as if they were signing. Signing and writing are two different ways of communication. If hearing people had to stop and decifer what it is that deaf/hoh people are trying to say when they write, very little work would get accomplished. It has nothing to do with how I am, it has everything to do with being able to communicate effectively. There's a thread around here that a person was writing like they were signing and I just lost it and told him/her to learn how to write. Seriously, if we, as the deaf and hoh, cannot communicate effectively with the world at large, why don't we all just find our own little worlds and make it so no one else can come in. Remember, not everyone is born deaf or hoh, so we have to abide by the rules, which become rules for all.

That's the very reason why I am tired of seeing deaf/hoh children coming to school so language delayed because they didnt have full access to language during their first 5 years so at the age of 6, 7 or even older, they are struggling with simple concepts and they are not ready to tackle on reading and writing yet which even delays them even more. I feel that is an injustice to them. That's why I am pushing for the BiBi approach for deaf children who are in their formative years of language development.

That's the very reason why I am tired of seeing deaf/hoh children coming to school so language delayed because they didnt have full access to language during their first 5 years so at the age of 6, 7 or even older, they are struggling with simple concepts and they are not ready to tackle on reading and writing yet which even delays them even more. I feel that is an injustice to them. That's why I am pushing for the BiBi approach for deaf children who are in their formative years of language development.

I am so glad you backed me here. I knew the skills were lacking, but wasn't quite full aware that they were this bad. Here, I'm being called mean and cruel and at the same time, all of us have to figure out what the other is saying, then they use the smilies, which don't add to the discernment of what they're saying. It's quite disheartening. I'm well aware what the name of this forum and thread is, but we can still have language and culture while enabling all of us to understand one another. There are some responses by various ones that I don't even bother reading because the language is that bad and it sounds like baby talk gibberish. Who has time to read all that?

I am so glad you backed me here. I knew the skills were lacking, but wasn't quite full aware that they were this bad. Here, I'm being called mean and cruel and at the same time, all of us have to figure out what the other is saying, then they use the smilies, which don't add to the discernment of what they're saying. It's quite disheartening.

I know but I also can understand that they do try. If u really think about it, English and its rules are so complex, which is why I can understand their struggles to write correctly. It is not easy especially if u dont hear English all the time like hearing people do. Considering that, I applaud many deaf people for really working hard to get where they are at with their writing and for trying.

That's why many deaf ed programs need to be changed..whether they are at deaf schools or at public schools.

I know but I also can understand that they do try. If u really think about it, English and its rules are so complex, which is why I can understand their struggles to write correctly. It is not easy especially if u dont hear English all the time like hearing people do. Considering that, I applaud many deaf people for really working hard to get where they are at with their writing and for trying.

That's why many deaf ed programs need to be changed..whether they are at deaf schools or at public schools.

But shel, there are people that are either hearies who are in charge or these people are prone to do it the old school way that how can this be changed without almost beating people up? The woman that was in charge of student support at my high school (early 80s) is still there! She was a monster then, I can only imagine why she changed her last name now!

Actually I'm all in favor of a bit of constructive whinning. Not in the sense of 'Oh poor me I'm deaf/blind/disabled etc...' but there is so much room for improvement. There ARE a lot of things available for us these days but somehow, at least in the UK, there seems to be no services to help people get the most out of all this new tecnology.

In this way things seem to be getting worse. For example: There used to be a rehabilation centre for the blind in Torquay, but it closed down due to lack of funds. Which I think is terrible because rehabilitation is practically non existant in some part of the country. Plus some families tend to shelter the blind too much so it can be a good thing for them to go of for a bit of rehabilitation without family members hovering about.

Now the lack of decent Rehab IS something I consider as being worth whinning about.

I just picked up the basics from here there and everywhere. Learnt braille from this blind guy at a public library which had a CCTV and reading machine. He was teaching a girl guide braille so I asked if he would teach me too. Recently I signed a petition to the british government by the mother of a blind kid who was not being taught braille. In this day and age something like that is just not acceptable. :pissed:

I could write if I were signing if I know just a little bit of English grammer.
Who cares?

Stop policing the forums...

But shel, there are people that are either hearies who are in charge or these people are prone to do it the old school way that how can this be changed without almost beating people up? The woman that was in charge of student support at my high school (early 80s) is still there! She was a monster then, I can only imagine why she changed her last name now!

There is a new wave of young teachers who have been trained differently so hopefully this problem will be changed.

besemiasno said ~Passive Deaf people are a cancer the the Deaf community!
Yes. I agree, but I would add passive anyone - deaf/blind/hearing/white/black/purple - will not have their needs met.

I also believe that a person does not need to be arrogant, rude, condescending, and so on to get their point across.

There are some responses by various ones that I don't even bother reading because the language is that bad and it sounds like baby talk gibberish. Who has time to read all that?
I take time and try my best to understand because I think everyone is worthy of my respect and consideration.

Dreama said ~Actually I'm all in favor of a bit of constructive whinning. Not in the sense of 'Oh poor me I'm deaf/blind/disabled etc...' but there is so much room for improvement.
Hear Hear!! So right Dreama and as long as we have Shel entering the system here I know that improvement and change is being worked on and can happen.
BTW, I do not believe the "hearies" are the problem. I believe society, as a whole, is the problem. There are ingrained ideas and prejudices across the board that need to be exposed, rooted out, and tossed aside before leaps of progress can be achieved. Just one gals opinion.

Last edited:

I understand what you mean...but what I mean is not everyone have the capable to understand that sign language is different from English. It just that you make it sounds like it's their fault for write the way they did. So what do you want to do with those types of people? Tell them to shut up? All just because they did not write in a way that everyone can understand? Not everyone has good environment or background to grow up in to be able to write well, and so what other choices do they have? Shut away the rest of world just because they did not abide by the norm?

The way thing are nowadays, there will always be deaf people who write accords to the way they signed. You can't change how people were raised as much as you would like to. That's where the tolerance shall come in.

Sure, of course we have to abide by their rules because they are greater in number, but it doesn't mean they can't try to come across and understand where we are coming from too.

Back