The Whiners are Killing us

Pek 1: You say some deaf write like they are signing. Actually that is not true or I would understand them. They do try to write english but are inept at it. Our language is very hard to learn for foreigners let alone deaf who cant hear the language. Here is an example of asl gloss which if the deaf who couldn't write proper english syntax and grammar would do, then hearies that knew asl would understand them. "suppose I finish graduate hs afterward my goal what? enter college." Hearies that know asl can read this and sign it. But some deaf don't write this way. They get there word order and word choices scrambled and it is undecipherable at times. Actually for those who don't have a good writing command of english I wish they would asl gloss it would be easier to understand them. I am not talking about people who one can understand but the writer may make grammatical mistakes now and then, I talking about people that have limited english writing skills and try to take a stab at it but come up short in being clear like that kid that kept talking about his ci's bothering him. He was very hard to understand.

robbielyn,

Okay, I can understand. Yes, American is the hardest, as we have so many words that mean a totally different thing when used in different contexts.

As for your quote above, I actually read it as, "suppose I graduate hs, afterward, what's my goal? enter college." Even though I'm hoh, on occasion, I do stumble over my words or massacre the pronunciation of a word that throws me off, trying to correct what I said. There is another thread around here somewhere that said how I sound. I think it was jillio that had called me on my cell due to a bet that I threw out there and she wanted to make a point. She stated on the thread how I sound.

Probably not, I'm only mild/moderate, but only happened a few years ago.

I would never put someone down for their English usage. We cannot know how much someone has struggled to get something down on paper. Maybe they are dyslexic or have other difficulties. (How can we know if someone wasn't bullied all through school due to dyslexia and feel absolutely awful about it!) Perhaps they have manual dexterity issues and prefer to type in a short, contracted manner. Maybe they are just choosing to express themselves in the way they personally choose. I feel people do have that right.

And when all's said and done: we can't all be good at everything can we! We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and we will all need eachother's help from time to time.

kimeran,

I received a pm regarding the person I singled out above. The note has been taken and I'll back down. As for being bullied, I can relate to that, which is why I never want to attend a high school reunion. Bad memories. As for the manual dexteriority, do you mn to typ lk ths? Lvng out vwls? I've typed that way, but only at work, which I dn't do anymr. My own typing, I have to tell you, is not the same way as everyone else is. My mother, a couple years ago, asked me why I typed funny (ie. I only use the two fingers closest to thumb on left, which cover the a and the s; the right hand covers g h j k and the rest, although the left index covers the e d and c. My left elbow also sticks out and I can't type for extended periods like this.

If we converted to a Bi-Bi approach, employing more Deaf/deaf teachers would be an essential feature of the program. That would tip the scales back the other direction sothat there would be more actual Deaf/deaf input into policy, rather than control by professionalized hearing teachers and administrators.

Yes. BUT . . . would this Bi-Bi approach pay the deaf teachers what their hearing counterparts would make or would they start at minimum wage. Now I opened a new can of worms. Just because a person is deaf/hoh doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid equal, if not more than a hearing person. This is an issue that needs to be addressed, too.

Yes. BUT . . . would this Bi-Bi approach pay the deaf teachers what their hearing counterparts would make or would they start at minimum wage. Now I opened a new can of worms. Just because a person is deaf/hoh doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid equal, if not more than a hearing person. This is an issue that needs to be addressed, too.

If these teachers are teaching in an accredited school, and I can only assume they would be, of course they will be paid the same as a hearing teacher. Starting salary levels don't get qualifed based on hearing status. And many of them, being bilingual, would actually be in line to make a deferential due to skills that the majority don't have. Our deaf professor makes the same as the other professors, as well.

If these teachers are teaching in an accredited school, and I can only assume they would be, of course they will be paid the same as a hearing teacher. Starting salary levels don't get qualifed based on hearing status. And many of them, being bilingual, would actually be in line to make a deferential due to skills that the majority don't have. Our deaf professor makes the same as the other professors, as well.

Nope, we get paid less if we work at a deaf school doesnt matter if we are hearing or deaf. My hearing friend who has the same degree, credits and years of teaching (she graduated with me from Gally) and she is a deaf ed teacher at the public schools. Her salary is at least 15K more than mine. She teaches using CS. She keeps trying to get me to apply at her work cuz she loves working with me and knows that I am a hard worker but I love where I am at now too much. The money is ok..can be better but when I am at work, it doesnt feel like a job so it is worth it. :)

If I wanted to earn more money, I can get a job working at the public schools but I would have to overcome a lot of childhood issues with the public school system to actually enjoy working there. It is like I have post traumatic disorder or something...LOL!

Nope, we get paid less if we work at a deaf school doesnt matter if we are hearing or deaf. My hearing friend who has the same degree, credits and years of teaching (she graduated with me from Gally) and she is a deaf ed teacher at the public schools. Her salary is at least 15K more than mine. She teaches using CS. She keeps trying to get me to apply at her work cuz she loves working with me and knows that I am a hard worker but I love where I am at now too much. The money is ok..can be better but when I am at work, it doesnt feel like a job so it is worth it. :)

If I wanted to earn more money, I can get a job working at the public schools but I would have to overcome a lot of childhood issues with the public school system to actually enjoy working there. It is like I have post traumatic disorder or something...LOL!

It's true that people working at schools for the deaf are usually paid less than the people working at a public school.

That is understandable...you had a tough time in the public schools. I guess I should have been more specific...I meant if the bi-bi programs were brought in to replace the self contained programs in the public schools.

There is a new wave of young teachers who have been trained differently so hopefully this problem will be changed.
I agree. I blame a lot of the deaf education teachers from my mainstream schools for the low-level education of my deaf peers.

As for being bullied, I can relate to that, which is why I never want to attend a high school reunion.
I hated school for the same reason. It ruined my education and prospects entirely. I stopped going to school at age 12. I just realised I couldn't take any more. (This was in the early 1980s before anyone actually cared about truancy).

I have a 3rd Class degree in Sociology - not much use, but it's mine and I worked hard for it.

I'm good at some things, but there are 'holes' in my knowledge which I attribute to missing so much school.

I'm 35 now, and now have better self esteem than I have ever had. I'm hanging on to that, and I don't let anyone take it away from me. Never let anyone rob you of your sense of self-worth.

I recently received an apology letter from a girl who bullied me at school. It was the sort of letter that she only wanted to make herself feel better - to ease her guilt. I tore it up and threw it away. I know I should forgive, but I can't. At least not yet; too much was taken from me.

(sorry for off-topic)

I hated school for the same reason. It ruined my education and prospects entirely. I stopped going to school at age 12. I just realised I couldn't take any more. (This was in the early 1980s before anyone actually cared about truancy).

I have a 3rd Class degree in Sociology - not much use, but it's mine and I worked hard for it.

I'm good at some things, but there are 'holes' in my knowledge which I attribute to missing so much school.

I'm 35 now, and now have better self esteem than I have ever had. I'm hanging on to that, and I don't let anyone take it away from me. Never let anyone rob you of your sense of self-worth.

I recently received an apology letter from a girl who bullied me at school. It was the sort of letter that she only wanted to make herself feel better - to ease her guilt. I tore it up and threw it away. I know I should forgive, but I can't. At least not yet; too much was taken from me. And a child cannot concentrate on learning if they are constantly worried about the kid behind them beating them up as soon as class lets out, or if they are ruminating about a cruel remark made to them in front of a group.

(sorry for off-topic)

And that is another reason that I support the deaf schools for deaf children. At the school for the deaf, they are jsut like everyone else. They don't stand out as being different from the majority of students. Socializtion is a very important part of the educational atmosphere, and it is impossible to teach children that they are capable and can accomplish anything they put their mind to if they are in a situation where the majority, at the least are insensitive, and at the worst bullying and cruel. That's not to say that there are not bullies at deaf schools, unfortunately we find them in allwalks of life. But I do believe that the mainstream schools subject deaf kids to being singled out and licked on. Not just by peers, but quite often by insensitive and ignorant teachers.

And that is another reason that I support the deaf schools for deaf children. At the school for the deaf, they are jsut like everyone else. They don't stand out as being different from the majority of students. Socializtion is a very important part of the educational atmosphere, and it is impossible to teach children that they are capable and can accomplish anything they put their mind to if they are in a situation where the majority, at the least are insensitive, and at the worst bullying and cruel. That's not to say that there are not bullies at deaf schools, unfortunately we find them in allwalks of life. But I do believe that the mainstream schools subject deaf kids to being singled out and licked on. Not just by peers, but quite often by insensitive and ignorant teachers.

:gpost:

I recently received an apology letter from a girl who bullied me at school. It was the sort of letter that she only wanted to make herself feel better - to ease her guilt. I tore it up and threw it away. I know I should forgive, but I can't. At least not yet; too much was taken from me.

(sorry for off-topic)

In middle school I was constantly bullied on a daily basis simply because I am deaf. Heck, one was so intent on making my life miserable, he followed me to my locker and when I ignored him like my mom always told me to do. He got mad because I was ignoring him and started making a scene which brought a huge crowd of kids around me and at the time I had my locker door open so when I reached inside to get my book, he slammed the door on my arm causing serious bruises and cuts. I reported to the nurse but I dont think any action was taken. :madfawk: to those ignorant teachers and nurses.

In middle school I was constantly bullied on a daily basis simply because I am deaf. Heck, one was so intent on making my life miserable, he followed me to my locker and when I ignored him like my mom always told me to do. He got mad because I was ignoring him and started making a scene which brought a huge crowd of kids around me and at the time I had my locker door open so when I reached inside to get my book, he slammed the door on my arm causing serious bruises and cuts. I reported to the nurse but I dont think any action was taken. :madfawk: to those ignorant teachers and nurses.

I get exactly what you are saying. When my son was in the 3rd grade, they ear before I had him transferred to the deaf school, I went to school several times about a kid that was bullying him, and had even kicked my son in the groin so hard, he dropped tothe ground and puked. The idiot principal made this comment: "Well, he's just going to have to deal with stuff like this his whole life because of his deafness. It makes him stand out and attracks bullies." Can you believe it? And this man was responsible for protecting the kids in his school!

I get exactly what you are saying. When my son was in the 3rd grade, they ear before I had him transferred to the deaf school, I went to school several times about a kid that was bullying him, and had even kicked my son in the groin so hard, he dropped tothe ground and puked. The idiot principal made this comment: "Well, he's just going to have to deal with stuff like this his whole life because of his deafness. It makes him stand out and attracks bullies." Can you believe it? And this man was responsible for protecting the kids in his school!

Matter of fact, my agent who is HOH is being bullied by the seller's agent. Yesterday, their agent yelled at my agent saying things like if all of us were hearing, we wouldnt have all these hassles. Whoa!!! Very unprofessional!

Matter of fact, my agent who is HOH is being bullied by the seller's agent. Yesterday, their agent yelled at my agent saying things like if all of us were hearing, we wouldnt have all these hassles. Whoa!!! Very unprofessional!

I would not hesitate to report that behavior to the board of realtors. That is unacceptable behavior in the professional world.

Not only is it unprofessional, but just blatant discrimination! Blow the whistle on that asshole!

Believe me, the whistle has been blown only that agent doesnt know it yet. :giggle:

Back