The Talking Deafie

I sound like hearing. I'm severe hoh.

I learned how to talk from birth and didn't learn sign language til I was 3 years old. I talk and I use sign also! I grew up with HAs and now have 2 cis on both ear..left one hasnt been turned on yet... still in recovery mode.

I was born deaf and was taught how to speak without any sing language. I didn't learn the basic sign language until my early 20's. I wore HA's growing up until my left ear couldn't decipher anything, except chaotic noise. I've worn a HA in my right ear mostly ever since. I don't hear much, but I can speak very well and my deafness is really profound.

Born Deaf, did not speak til age 7, extensive speech therapy.

I speak verbally everyday and know sign, oral being the dominant thing with me since I live in a place that hardly has any Deaf people in it.

I use proper grammer apparently, so my English Class teacher says.

I was born hearing to Deaf parents and Deaf siblings, I didnt start losing my hearing until my teens. I am now profoundly Deaf as is my daughter, I use sign with her and with other Deafies but am oral with hearies. Most can tell Im Deaf as my speech skills are deteriorating fast.

Count me in, I am what you say oral deaf. Used to have a speech impediment, now some just say I speak with a English accent. The public says "you speak so well, you can't be deaf". Yeah right!

Count me in, I am what you say oral deaf. Used to have a speech impediment, now some just say I speak with a English accent. The public says "you speak so well, you can't be deaf". Yeah right!

I get that a lot. It sometimes really bugs me, but I let it go. I guess they just expect a late-deafened person to not be able to speak as well as not hear.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I talk too much and no one knows that I am deaf until I inform them, some allow their jaws to drop.. "But you can talk!" D'oh >_< But I do get words messed up but they think it is an accent as well... Hah

i think u can count me in? profound deaf since 18 months old and had speech class since i was 2.. stopped at like 16 yrs cuz i rebelled lol. i can speak in sentences... short ones though. has deaf accent. only people who has been used to my voice understands me pretty well if i spoke without any signs. people tend to understand me better if i speak and signs same time (mostly gestures lol) public understands me okay... usually took them a min or two before the light bulb above their head lits up lol.

i cannot hold a conversation with someone who i just met. 2 reasons.. i cant read lips very well, and as i mentioned before people needs to get used to my deaf accent before they could understand me better.

however i could carry on a conversation verbally with someone who knows me long enough :)

I am what they say is a true oral deaf I guess.
I grew up somewhat hearing but being unilateral at a young age, so completely mainstreamed.

Been told from ASL instructors I don't sound like I am deaf but that's obviously a given as all I do was communicate orally.

The only thing I've started to notice about my speech, is that I don't speak loud enough for noisy environments. But that's just me, I prefer quieter places. :dunno:

However after seeing the Vegas expo, I'm really starting to think that the oral-only approach, no matter how perfect it can get, is a dying breed. Exactly like how the argentine ants are endangering other species of native ants. The intuition behind this is that the argentine are too versalite for what they intend to do with minimal difficulty adjusting.

I've noticed, growing up, I was a massive talker. You could just not shut me up at all, even in my sleep I would talk. Since I lost all my hearing I don't talk as much and I hate to be out in public as much. Hubby says I have even stopped talking in my sleep. He and daughter say I sign in my sleep though. So, I guess I replaced my talking with signing in my sleep. I've hit hubby a couple of time while signing in my sleep as well. :giggle:

All I was taught growing up was speech, so I suppose I am oral :roll: In my Deaf Education courses I try to sign more, but most of them don't know sign, so... I have to use my voice...

I can talk, but most people don't think I am deaf. They just think I am some foreigner. O.o.

Same with me! :) I'm brazilian and many people think I'm italian, lol. I was born deaf, severe-profound loss in the left ear, and profound in the right ear.

Another talkie deaf in here. I've also been told that my speech has gotten better since I got the CI.

That should not be a surprise-you can hear your own voice-now. Most people automatically lower their voice-if thought to be too loud. Since my implantation my voice has dropped-apparently I was too loud-previously while deaf. I am the "label real/oral deaf."

Implant-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

That should not be a surprise-you can hear your own voice-now. Most people automatically lower their voice-if thought to be too loud. Since my implantation my voice has dropped-apparently I was too loud-previously while deaf. I am the "label real/oral deaf."

I am total deaf, have been for 4 years. Family says I talk too quiet or normally. When I had my HA's previously, I was always too loud. When I was between HA's, I spoke quietly. Makes no sense.

I am severe-profound and talk very well, thanks to mainstream, hearing family, and speech therapy for almost 4 years.

Many people don't think I'm Deaf either. They believe since I can hear with a hearing aid that I can understand and even though I can hear well with a hearing aid that I'm not Deaf. I even had someone tell me that I was making this up and that I was only fooling myself.

Guess it's safe to say that I'm an Oral Deafie as well?

Your voice becomes more "crisp" hearing certain speech sounds, particularly the low frequency's, better with the implant. It also helps improve your oral and chest resonance (i.e. voice coming from your mouth and chest). As opposed to the hearing aids that tended to make the profoundly deaf person's speech to be more "nasal" (i.e. coming through the nose).

Back