The Talking Deafie

I only communicate orally. It is the only way I know how. I've been told I sound German. I have a moderate sloping to severe hearing loss - but I wear hearing aids. I basically can only hear vowels - so I am not sure if I fit the deaf criteria. I was in speech therapy until I was 18. My sign is limited.

You fit the deaf criteria, you are more deaf than hearing. :D I can only hear vowels as well (with one ear apparently). I'm severely-deaf, not severely HoH.

Wirelessly posted

Why troll him about it? He blogged about it, and told us how much he could hear.

I'm not interested in how much he can hear. I'm asking for clarification especially his post #172. Is he deaf or not? or is there another label that he prefers?

I believe it. I have met several deaf people who don't "sound deaf", and I am totally willing to be honest about it.

Absolutely. There is a distinct difference from those with a deaf voice than those who do not. I just happen to pick up a southern accent when I moved to Georgia. My sister who is younger than I am picked it up even more than me while my older brother did not. Pretty strange.

Last edited:
It's a nice rhetorical title, isn't it? :lol:

well - I'm curious to know if any one of you is Oral Deaf. By that - it means you can have a verbal communication (with or without deaf accent) with any individual - regardless of your hearing status. If you can speak only few words..... sorry but you don't count.

me - yes I am Oral Deaf and I'm severe-profound.

I know two oral deafies. Both of which used to post here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQgR0sbdVA]YouTube - Clarke School for the Deaf: A Sound Future[/ame]

.....with captions, of course.

At my audiology appointment this morning, the lady was amazed at my speech. Even though I am total deaf, I have very clear speech and no deaf accent. Her explanation was that since my mother was always very particular with diction and clear speech while growing up, that I am still concious of that. Also since I had 44 years of hearing and good speech, my "vocal chords know what to do". That was the oddest and lamest reason I ever heard, but it works for me.

I know now why my MIL doesn't think I am deaf. When driving at night, my son will talk to me from the back seat. I answer him and she thinks I can hear him. What she doesn't know is that he has a little light and I can read his lips in the rear-view mirror.

Very clever! We've learned a few tricks along the way haven't we. :giggle:

one thing I saw in there that bothered me was how one of the administrators/staff was saying the more listening and spoken language the students have, the more they can un-lock the power of intellect...open them up to possibilities around them ....
seems to me to be equating intellectual ability and overall potential with speech-

I'd say it's a matter of repetition in the listening and speaking aspect in acquiring more and more of the English language, and in greater complexity and understanding. Hearing people are constantly immersed in the spoken language since birth so they tap into that power right from the beginning.

im a talking deafie, profoundly deaf since birth, like a lot of youse already mentioned, I too have some trouble with foreigners

deaf accent is subjective, and it would have strong potential to be a subject of high controversy especially when we start to discuss why is that 'deaf accent' and where's the line cut for 'where /why are we able to conceal it deliberately or not'...hmmm

one thing I saw in there that bothered me was how one of the administrators/staff was saying the more listening and spoken language the students have, the more they can un-lock the power of intellect...open them up to possibilities around them ....
seems to me to be equating intellectual ability and overall potential with speech-

You picked up that one too....it bothered me as well.

Hmm, didn't like that comment in video either. Bit about profoundly Deaf use cell phones. I wonder how many can really do that? I only met one person can in UK with CI, rest of them can't.

Pediatric Cochlear Implants in Prelingual Deafness: Medium and Long-Term OutcomesIMAJ • VOL 12 • FEBRUARY 2010

Beadle et al. (5) studied 30 children at 5 and 10 years after implantation. They used the CAP index (Category of Auditory Performance) with a scale of 0 to 7. The score -0 implies no awareness of environmental sounds, and 7, the ability to talk on the telephone with a familiar speaker. Scores improved from 0 at pre-implantation to a mean category of 6 at 5 years, and 7 at 10 years. The study also examined SIR (Speech Intelligibility Rating), with 1 implying unintelligible speech, usually using manual communication, up to a score of 5 = intelligible speech. Close to half the patients scored 4 and 5 (intelligible speech for an average listener). Median speech intelligibility rating was 3 at 5 years, and 4 at 10 years, also demonstrating that patients' speech continues to improve between 5 and 10 years. Uziel et al.(6) thoroughly studied the 10 year outcome of 82 children. Seventynine percent reported that they could use the phone.
http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar10feb-10.pdf

In that study, most implanted kids implanted early on were able to use the phone down the road.

Pediatric Cochlear Implants in Prelingual Deafness: Medium and Long-Term OutcomesIMAJ • VOL 12 • FEBRUARY 2010

http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar10feb-10.pdf

In that study, most implanted kids implanted early on were able to use the phone down the road.

And deaf kid can see better down the road too: Research reveals deaf adults see better than hearing people

but it does make me wonder, about the phone issues as we are not getting any younger, will they be able to use it for the rest of their life? who knows?

Hmm, didn't like that comment in video either. Bit about profoundly Deaf use cell phones. I wonder how many can really do that? I only met one person can in UK with CI, rest of them can't.

My 4YO talks with me by cell phone, every day. With grandparents, we tend to use speaker phone, to avoid a lot of long distance repeating with HOH on the other end of the line.

Back