The Talking Deafie

i can relate to that,its about an intellectual truth to confront and shake off the 'overcomer's arrogance (mistaken for pride)...which justify audism (and that affects within d/Deaf community too)

Isn't speaking part of the human condition? If NOT-why have vocal chords? Never heard of "overcomers arrogance"-audism? Is this some variant of "mutism"? I just checked Abnormal Psychology-current perspectives- No listing for "audism" but there is a listing for "autism" Connected-not sure. Hard to keep "up-to-date"!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Isn't speaking part of the human condition? If NOT-why have vocal chords? Never heard of "overcomers arrogance"-audism? Is this some variant of "mutism"? I just checked Abnormal Psychology-current perspectives- No listing for "audism" but there is a listing for "autism" Connected-not sure. Hard to keep "up-to-date"!

Speaking part of the human condition? According to whom? Let's say there is a diverse group of people celebrating at my house on this Thanksgiving day: some are hearing and some are deaf. Of the deaf, a few are CI users. Let's say that we accept the fact that fewer than half of the deaf tested for the use of CI's pass, and of those who were implanted, about half have speech good enough to be understood by the hearing in the group. Let's say someone in the group raised a glass of wine in toast of this day. Does it matter who did? It would be inhuman to put a premium on spoken speech. Happy Thanksgiving.

Autism and audism are not connected.

Hmmm, a slow deaf residence?

yeah. you know, so people won't go racing thru the streets, unaware?

just so there's no misunderstanding, it ought to read: "Slow, deaf residence."

It's amazing how the lack of one little punctuation can throw an entire statement off. :dunno2:

yeah. you know, so people won't go racing thru the streets, unaware?

just so there's no misunderstanding, it ought to read: "Slow, deaf residence."

It's amazing how the lack of one little punctuation can throw an entire statement off. :dunno2:

Heh...

Speaking part of the human condition? According to whom? Let's say there is a diverse group of people celebrating at my house on this Thanksgiving day: some are hearing and some are deaf. Of the deaf, a few are CI users. Let's say that we accept the fact that fewer than half of the deaf tested for the use of CI's pass, and of those who were implanted, about half have speech good enough to be understood by the hearing in the group. Let's say someone in the group raised a glass of wine in toast of this day. Does it matter who did? It would be inhuman to put a premium on spoken speech. Happy Thanksgiving.

Totally agree....my Thanksigiving party at my house was the same. A mixture of hearing and deaf people but everyone shared the same language.

Interesting "game"- hypothesizing "entities" that don't speak however is that current reality of humans now? Does this circle back-why have speech ability in the first place?
Hope you Americans enjoyed Thanksgiving-yesterday. Canadians enjoyed in early October.

I am an oral deaf. My parents at first believed I was mentally retarded and I had to spend one academic year at the YC Special Services Centre. During that time it was found out that I wasn't retarded, I was only deaf! No wonder I wasn't speaking or responding to auditory stimulus!

For a short while my parents debated sending me to ASD, but however in the end they decided to keep me mainstreamed and completely oral. Sadly my parents want nothing to do with learning ASL as a mode of communication.

Looking back I wish I could have gone to ASD I might have found a comradeship I've never found here.

Maybe one of these days I will get the balls to face my parents and tell them how I really felt about being oral-deaf. It's not as easy as it looks.

i'm only a little hard of hearing.. i can't wear hearing aids. i speak very clearly and have audio processing disorder, which means, simply put, i hear alot but my brain can't always make words. it all sounds foreign to me. Because I speak so well and react to sounds; new hearing people sometimes don't believe me when i tell them i'm deaf. as a result, i tend to try to avoid speaking and ignore sounds altogether. it's the best solution so far lol

Back