The Talking Deafie

Count me in - I'm Oral Deaf/HoH. Born by accident. Nearly died during birth that made me deaf.

No, Jake, you're talking so louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud :P should be considered as Talking Loud Deaf haha

I didn't say they would be fluent, just have some knowledge. I think that's Jiro was asking

Clarification - what I'm asking is if there is any deafie in here who can VERBALLY communicate with hearing people fluently. That doesn't mean you have a very good understanding of English grammar. If you can FLUENTLY TALK but you are not easily understood by them (like me), that's ok.. you still count :) If you are late-deaf, you still count.

What doesn't count is - You speak only few words when communicating with hearies.

You get what I'm saying?

I think we used to have deafs like that in the past, but not anymore. The punishment of forcing them to speak was too harsh.

Well in that case I'm an oral deafie as I'm a prelingual with a profound deafness.

But my speech therapy stopped when I was 12, as opposed to till school leaving age. Am understood by anyone including strangers, apart from those times when my nerves gets the better of me then my speech is skewered as a result!

This probably warrants a different thread but am interested to know if your oral vocal range is in the normal human range or is it slightly higher pitched or lower pitched as I seem to notice a lot of oral deafies that I meet tend to have higher pitched vocalisations?...

Clarification - what I'm asking is if there is any deafie in here who can VERBALLY communicate with hearing people fluently. That doesn't mean you have a very good understanding of English grammar. If you can FLUENTLY TALK but you are not easily understood by them (like me), that's ok.. you still count :) If you are late-deaf, you still count.

What doesn't count is - You speak only few words when communicating with hearies.

You get what I'm saying?

And do these people have to be born completely deaf and never heard sounds?
like never use hearing aids? if that the case, then my post #124 still stand.

And do these people have to be born completely deaf and never heard sounds?
like never use hearing aids? if that the case, then my post #124 still stand.

no. Like I said for several times - if you're deaf (hoh, late-deaf, born-deaf, CI, HA, etc.) and can talk fluently, you count.

I was deafened shortly after birth had a severe hearing loss by 9 months and have had a profound hearing loss both of my ears for over 10 years, I guess I do have a "deaf" accent, since if I am talking to someone, they can usually tell as they will use gestures or be willing to show me.

Count me in - I'm Oral Deaf/HoH. Born by accident. Nearly died during birth that made me deaf.

No, Jake, you're talking so louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud :P should be considered as Talking Loud Deaf haha

a loud talker, eh? well same here... I'm the boisterous talker :lol:

I only communicate orally. It is the only way I know how. I've been told I sound German. I have a moderate sloping to severe hearing loss - but I wear hearing aids. I basically can only hear vowels - so I am not sure if I fit the deaf criteria. I was in speech therapy until I was 18. My sign is limited.

oh no no you stated that you can talk so you're still in.

I was just talking about what I'm amazed about - a deafie born completely deaf who has never heard a sound in his/her entire life..... and yet he/she can talk.

Try one that got no deaf accent at all. :shock:

The most fluent "talking" deafies I know of are the ones that never heard sounds. Those who have... tends to have an accent.

The most fluent "talking" deafies I know of are the ones that never heard sounds. Those who have... tends to have an accent.

:-o

I only communicate orally. It is the only way I know how. I've been told I sound German. I have a moderate sloping to severe hearing loss - but I wear hearing aids. I basically can only hear vowels - so I am not sure if I fit the deaf criteria. I was in speech therapy until I was 18. My sign is limited.

yes you do count. welcome! :wave:

At my audiology appointment this morning, the lady was amazed at my speech. Even though I am total deaf, I have very clear speech and no deaf accent. Her explanation was that since my mother was always very particular with diction and clear speech while growing up, that I am still concious of that. Also since I had 44 years of hearing and good speech, my "vocal chords know what to do". That was the oddest and lamest reason I ever heard, but it works for me.

I know now why my MIL doesn't think I am deaf. When driving at night, my son will talk to me from the back seat. I answer him and she thinks I can hear him. What she doesn't know is that he has a little light and I can read his lips in the rear-view mirror.

At my audiology appointment this morning, the lady was amazed at my speech. Even though I am total deaf, I have very clear speech and no deaf accent. Her explanation was that since my mother was always very particular with diction and clear speech while growing up, that I am still concious of that. Also since I had 44 years of hearing and good speech, my "vocal chords know what to do". That was the oddest and lamest reason I ever heard, but it works for me.

I know now why my MIL doesn't think I am deaf. When driving at night, my son will talk to me from the back seat. I answer him and she thinks I can hear him. What she doesn't know is that he has a little light and I can read his lips in the rear-view mirror.

Read his lips in the rear view mirror???? Wouldn't everything come out backwards??:lol::lol::lol:

:-o interesting!

Yeah, I have worn HAs since I was about six. Oddly enough, I can speak English and Spanish with no accent in either language. I talked early too. Yet it became obvious later that I couldn't hear. I never had any speech problems at all.

Back